Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Outlet to Where from a Stove?

Options
  • 18-08-2014 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I've got a solid fuel burning stove with four heating water connection outlets at its back-plate.
    Each outlet is roughly located at each of the four corners of the back-plate.

Say they are named as follows:
    Top Left, Top Right
    Bottom Left , Bottom Right

The question that I have is where are each of these connections to go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Two to the gravity circuit.
    Two to the pump circuit.
    + a lots more.
    That's my limit on advice.
    Total bomb If done wrong.

No offence mate, But If you have to ask then you need a professional installer.

We have see them explode.

Up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

Thanks for getting back to me scudo2. That is very much appreciated.

To cut a long story to shorter one here is my concern in brief.
    My plumber is of the opinion that both of the outlets on one side of the stove, in this case the left hand side should be used for the gravity circuit.
    i.e. The bottom left outlet taking in the gravity return from the tank and the top left outlet sending out the heated water to the cylinder on the gravity circuit.

Then on the right hand side is the pumped circuit.
    My plumbers opinion is that the pump is to be placed on the return, he considers that as such the pump is less stressed by high temperature in that location.
    The arrangement that he indicates is that the bottom right outlet receives the pumped return into the stove and then the top right outlet flows the heated water out from the stove to the heating circuit (upstairs/downstairs/second coil in the hot water cylinder).

That's one side of the story.

Then there's the other side....
    On the other side is this paragraph from the stove manufacturer (see link to stove installation manual below).
    Paragraph 6.2
    "Integral boilers should only be connected with the flow and return connections of any circuit on opposite sides of the
    appliance (cross flowed) and to an indirect hot water tank with.......corrosion inhibitor to prevent both corrosion and the formation of limescale."
    The manufacture includes an indicative diagram (see page 23 of the link)
    showing the cross flow arrangement of the outlets from the stove.
    Also the manufacturers diagram does indicate that the pump is on circuit after the stove.

Link:
    http://www.aradastoves.com/pdf/manuals/bk555-rev06.pdf

Doctors opinions differ and patients die.

I don't want my plumbing system to not work properly.

I want the best possible heating of hot water from my stove.

My question, do I follow my plumber's method, or the method as documented by the stove manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Timmyboy wrote: »
    My question, do I follow my plumber's method, or the method as documented by the stove manufacturer.

Manufacturers Instructions overrule the opinion of others.
    If there is a warranty issue (which could be the least of your worries), the first thing the manufacturer checks is whether the appliance has been fitted as per their instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Timmyboy wrote: »

I don't want my plumbing system to not work properly.

its not a case of it not working to optimum levels of performance - if its not done right they'll be scraping whats left of you off the walls for weeks

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/wood-stove-explosion-sends-two-men-to-brantford-hospital-1.1579998

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2279176/Terror-mother-21-year-old-son-wood-burning-stove-explodes-wrecks-home.html

gcCvQ9h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

Thanks Lads.

And I appreciate the Safety advice from all of you. Safety First!
    Definitely that's crucially important.

I'm counting 2 opinions (mine and K.Flyer's) to go with the manufacturers instructions.
    If there are different opinions to this, please do put them forward. I'd like to hear the reasons why you may feel that my plumber's way could be the best way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

You have to go by what the manufactures recommend .
    BOTH SYSTEMS are good, but the manufacture perfer/recommend their way.

ps. Don't shoot the plumber just yet.

Advertisement