Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is bullying by co-workers widespread in Ireland?

• 18-08-2014 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Many of my acquaintances/friends spoke of their experiences working abroad and in Ireland in different sectors. Bullying seems to be endemic in Irish workplaces e.g. Accounting, teaching, nursing, Science sector (production in American companies) and Aircraft Maintenance. Some of these employees had worked abroad and said that the level of bullying that goes on here does not go on abroad. The one thing all these people had in common was being not longterm permanent in their jobs and not being unionised.

Here it is seems to be done specifically to put coworkers down and make the bullies look good e.g. when the coworker looks stupid so the bully/bully's friend gets the bonus/job/overtime
    Frequently the bully smiles and put in loads of complaints about the person to the manager behind the worker's back and management usually does not tell the person for ages

What's your experience of bullying in workplaces by colleagues in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The last person that tried bullying me got a black eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Many of my acquaintances/friends spoke of their experiences working abroad and in Ireland in different sectors. Bullying seems to be endemic in Irish workplaces e.g. Accounting, teaching, nursing, Science sector (production in American companies) and Aircraft Maintenance. Some of these employees had worked abroad and said that the level of bullying that goes on here does not go on abroad. The one thing all these people had in common was being not longterm permanent in their jobs and not being unionised.

What's your experience of bullying in workplaces by colleagues in Ireland?

Have heard the same from people working in England and Australia. Not so much during my time in the states. Here the bullying is done deliberately by management to get people to walk out.

Here's a half arsed idea. I always thought the bullying in the workplace is similar to how characters in the English soaps act. Always with snarky remarks and put downs. Maybe they have a part to play in things!

Advertisement