Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year International commerce UCD

Options
  • 18-08-2014 6:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I just got accepted in that course :D Anyone in the same case ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dancinglaura

ManonRiv wrote: »
    I just got accepted in that course :D Anyone in the same case ?

I did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Packet Of Gravy

I am, just scraped in with 510. :) What languages are ye doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ManonRiv

I am, just scraped in with 510. :) What languages are ye doing?

I am doing spanish :) also German as a beginner !! How about you ?

I am doing spanish :) also German as a beginner !! How about you ?

Cool, if you ever want a hand with German just ask me. I'm doing German and beginners Italian. Anybody know we can't pick Portuguese anymore?

Cool, if you ever want a hand with German just ask me. I'm doing German and beginners Italian. Anybody know we can't pick Portugues e anymore?

Oh well I don't even know a word of German so it is very kind of you !! I received a email from UCD some months ago and they said we couldn't take Portuguese anymore ... I don't know why though ! Anyway going to UCD is exciting for me as come from france :D bit scary also!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

If any of you need to know anything I'm in third year BCIT! Congrats on getting in!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Oh well I don't even know a word of German so it is very kind of you !! I received a email from UCD some months ago and they said we couldn't take Portuguese anymore ... I don't know why though ! Anyway going to UCD is exciting for me as come from france :D bit scary also!

They must have dropped it due to lack of demand. Not sure about the 2012 intake (3rd years now) but I know in the 2011 intake (4th years) only 1 person kept up Portuguese after the first semester. Enjoy it, from my friends who've done it I've heard it's a great course. Make sure you stay on top of your language modules, they can get quite tough after the first semester.

Kiltennel wrote: »
    They must have dropped it due to lack of demand. Not sure about the 2012 intake (3rd years now) but I know in the 2011 intake (4th years) only 1 person kept up Portuguese after the first semester.

That's a shame Kiltennel with all the hype about Brazil's economy and Ireland's lack of foreign language skills.

haro124 wrote: »
    If any of you need to know anything I'm in third year BCIT! Congrats on getting in!

Hey Haro, when do we tell UCD the 2nd language we want to learn?

Hey Haro, when do we tell UCD the 2nd language we want to learn?
    did you not have to pick it on your CAO?

• Advertisement

did you not have to pick it on your CAO?

I did in January but when I was changing it in May it only asked for one language.

I did in January but when I was changing it in May it only asked for one language.
    they'll probably send you an email about it in the next few days- if not you could ring the programme office in Quinn

they'll probably send you an email about it in the next few days- if not you could ring the programme office in Quinn
    Cool I won't worry too much about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NoWayJose!

Got into International Commerce and doing Spanish and German! Beginners German that is :L Someone from UCD admissions told me that Portuguese isn't being offered due to a lack of demand, but its still being offered on Horizons.

NoWayJose! wrote: »
    Got into International Commerce and doing Spanish and German! Beginners German that is :L Someone from UCD admissions told me that Portuguese isn't being offered due to a lack of demand, but its still being offered on Horizons.

We are taking the same languages yaay :) When do we chose if we want to study a language from a beginner level or an advanced one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Although the School of Commerce doesn't emphasise this, do bear in mind that what you are calling "the language(s)" include a large cultural (literature, cinema, history, history of ideas) component. You will be taking courses in literary subjects as part of your degree. If you don't like this you should consider switching to a commerce degree and doing language electives.

Although the School of Commerce doesn't emphasise this, do bear in mind that what you are calling "the language(s)" include a large cultural (literature, cinema, history, history of ideas) component. You will be taking courses in literary subjects as part of your degree. If you don't like this you should consider switching to a commerce degree and doing language electives.

I love the cultural side of learning languages so it is completely fine for me !

We are taking the same languages yaay :) When do we chose if we want to study a language from a beginner level or an advanced one ?

Cool, are you doing them both from beginner level? I'd imagine we choose when registering for modules or we are given aptitude tests or something, I don't know?

And Sam, cultural modules suit me fine too!

I have been learning spanish for a while now so i think i will only take german from a beginner level !

Looks like we're both in the same boat!

• Advertisement

yip :) for those who want to check for elective modules to take i think we can find them here : http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

Make sure you check out our orientation timetable here (DN660)
    http://www.ucd.ie/students/newstudents/orientationtimetables.html

Anyone know if we can we go to events that are not on our timetable?
    On Wednesday I want to try out Martial Arts at 12 and ArtsSoc have a quiz at 7. There's also stuff on Tuesday I'd like to go to eg Frisbee at 5.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dolanduck

Well on the Frisbee it says "All welcome" so probably/maybe yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I'm not in this course but i was wondering if any of you can offer me some advice about the course? Is it difficult? doing the LC this year and want to do this course.I do German btw and was wondering what kind of grade i'd need to succeed in this course? Are you glad you picked this course?
    cheers in advance! :)

Advertisement