Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He's had enough - So he's coming out.

• 18-08-2014 6:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

From Sky News

Julian Assange could be considering leaving the Ecuadorian embassy and handing himself in to police, Sky News understands.

After spending two years holed up inside the central London building, the Australian is holding a news conference this morning - when he is expected to spell out his next move.

Widespread reports suggest the WikiLeaks website founder needs hospital treatment for heart and lungs problems.

But, under continuing surveillance since he requested political asylum from Ecuador in June 2012 and with police stationed outside the embassy around the clock, he will be arrested if he leaves.

The 43-year-old has been investigated by US authorities since WikiLeaks published leaked military and diplomatic documents in 2010.

He was granted asylum in 2012 and is facing extradition to Sweden over alleged sexual offences.

More follows...

I reckon his decision to give up is down to a number of things.

1, He realises, he is no longer front page news and most people don't give a toss.

2, The Ecuadorians are sick of him and want him out from under their feet. Who could blame them after 26 months of feeding him and putting him up.

3, Ill health. Well everyone facing charges like his will claim poor health in the hope of getting better treatment. Why should Assange be any different? In fairness, being cooped up in a room for two years doesn't help. (Although he might have to get used to that).

4, It dawned on him that Scotland Yard were putting different policemen on watch outside the embassy, and that no matter how long he was beseiged in there, they wuld always have the manpower to have a constant guard outside. So the sooner he moves, the sooner he'll get the inevitable out of the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'd say 2 and 4 are the most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's strange what this world does to whistle blowers and truth tellers. Very very strange. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It‘s strange what this world does to whistle blowers and truth tellers. Very very strange. :(

Threatening to extradite someone for sex offence charges ?

Strange carry on all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Lapin wrote: »

You don't think it's odd that he just happened to be accused of these things after leaking sensitive government information?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

I read in the Guardian last week that the UK have spent over 14 million of her majesty's quids on monitoring him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'm coming out, I want the world to know, gotta let it show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Why dont he come to Ireland for asylum.

A few pints of the black stuff will make him better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Here's another Julian thinking of coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

You don't think it's odd that he just happened to be accused of these things after leaking sensitive government information?
    Not really. I think people give orgs like the CIA too much credit, probably from movies. History has shown that their plans f**k up a lot or leaks(ironically enough) always get out.
    I read in the Guardian last week that the UK have spent over 14 million of her majesty's quids on monitoring him

I believe you read that, but i can never believe figures like these. Lets say they have 2 cops monitoring at all times, in 8 hour shifts. That's 6 cops who would be on a salary of over 1 million pounds per year. Maybe they're including the price of the cop cars, uniforms, training them etc. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

iDave wrote: »
    I'm coming out, I want the world to know, gotta let it show.

Well Done dave on coming out,is this an official coming out thread?

Shouldn't there be a rep from the Gay community to support peeps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

He's had enough, so he's coming out

Will Ellen be there to support him

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

What is it about the name Julian and coming out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Oh Assange,.... whatever. I thought this thread would be about Louis Walsh!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I watched a documentary about him a while back, and I was shocked about the security assault / rape thing. It's crazy what they consider rape. And I was thinking it was a set up but as far as I remember he admitted it, did he not?

Can't really say I'm surprised that they're going after him for what he did, America would hardly do any less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Here's another Julian thinking of coming out.

stunmer wrote: »
    What is it about the name Julian and coming out?

"I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaming"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Or he could have spent the last 2 years digging up dirt so that he has some leverage against the authorities and now he is willing to play ball...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

About time he faces the music and stops hiding from his sexual assault charges.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jester252 wrote: »

He hasn't been charged with sexual assault. The extradition request is for questioning, no charges have been made as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

You don't think he'll be facing bigger charges in the US? I heard some of the Fox News pundits suggest him and Snowden should face the death penalty if they are ever charged in the US. Could the US execute a non US citizen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I dont know if he is guilty or innocent of the charges in sweden but he should certainly man up and face those charges.

He is not stupid, he should have known a long time ago that this would never go away...so holing up in the Ecuador embassy for 2 years seemed a waste of effort to me.

But our Julian would not let that get in the way of a good story.

And just because he is a hero for wikileaks does not mean that he is innocent of the charges in sweden.

• Advertisement

You don't think he'll be facing bigger charges in the US? I heard some of the Fox News pundits suggest him and Snowden should face the death penalty if they are ever charged in the US. Could the US execute a non US citizen?

Yes they've done it in the past. However, EU law stipulates that extradition can't occur when a suspect may face the death penalty. So it'd more than likely be a Chelsea Manning esque 35 years he'd be given for telling the world about war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Yes they've done it in the past. However, EU law stipulates that extradition can't occur when a suspect may face the death penalty. So it'd more than likely be a Chelsea Manning esque 35 years he'd be given for telling the world about war crimes.

I doubt the US would care about what EU law states, once he's in the US, they can do what they like with him.

I doubt the US would care about what EU law states, once he's in the US, they can do what they like with him.

Well they'd have to give assurances to this effect, otherwise neither Sweden nor the UK could grant extradition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

And just because he is a hero for wikileaks does not mean that he is innocent of the charges in sweden.

I think in the Swedish legal system you are innocent until proven guilty.

The charges relate to non-consensual behaviour within consensual sexual encounters. That is, sex without using a condom, which can be considered rape in Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Augmerson wrote: »
    I think in the Swedish legal system you are innocent until proven guilty.

The charges relate to non-consensual behaviour within consensual sexual encounters. That is, sex without using a condom, which can be considered rape in Sweden.

If he is convicted of that in Sweden I'm assuming he would serve any jail time there. He seems to think he's going to be extradited to America by the Swedes which seems a bit daft to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I hope a hair on his head isn't harmed.

The world deserve to know the truth about their governments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yeah , I was kind of wondering why they bothered with the expense, I mean there must be stacks of suspects/absconders way more dangerous than him that the uk wouldn't dream of spending 14 million on...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Assaunge and Snowden deserve to be celebrated on the cover of every newspaper, magazine. They deserve medals and distinction. Instead they're running for their lives and we, as a society, accept it as normal. It's an indictment of our world.

Fascist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Dayum wrote: »
    Assaunge and Snowden deserve to be celebrated on the cover of every newspaper, magazine. They deserve medals and distinction. Instead they're running for their lives and we, as a society, accept it as normal. It's an indictment of our world.

Fascist.

Assaunge released sensitive documents but is a journalist and owes America nothing. Snowden was working for the government so its a trickier situation. He would have agreed to nondisclosuer agreements so is liable for treason. He probably should get jail time.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Assaunge released sensitive documents but is a journalist and owes America nothing. Snowden was working for the government so its a trickier situation. He would have agreed to nondisclosuer agreements so is liable for treason. He probably should get jail time.

Working for government and having to sign non-disclosure agreements?!

Something seems off.....

When you have a government that needs to keep secrets from the very people it claims to represent then it's quite obvious that that government is no longer a legitimate government and must be overthrown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Ranchu wrote: »
    If he is convicted of that in Sweden I'm assuming he would serve any jail time there. He seems to think he's going to be extradited to America by the Swedes which seems a bit daft to me.

He may not even make it to Sweden. If the UK decides to pursue charges against Assange for evading arrest, assange may find himself sent straight to the US with assurances by the US he will face charges in Sweden after they are 'done' with him...20 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

He probably has loads of juicy info he can use to help this whole process, maybe that's why he stayed there for 2 years(putting a plan in place)

Potatoeman wrote: »

You could easily argue that the obligation to uphold the US constitution supersedes any non-disclosure agreement that Snowden signed. The bulk collection of data belonging to US citizens by the NSA was infringing their constitutional right to privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Dayum wrote: »
    Working for government and having to sign non-disclosure agreements?!

Something seems off.....

When you have a government that needs to keep secrets from the very people it claims to represent then it's quite obvious that that government is no longer a legitimate government and must be overthrown.
    Every civil servant in Ireland works under the official secrets act. It would be impossible to conduct the business of government of everything was public, particularly in relation to security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Every civil servant in Ireland works under the official secrets act. It would be impossible to conduct the business of government of everything was public, particularly in relation to security.

Might be a better country if everything was out in the open for public scrutiny no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You could easily argue that the obligation to uphold the US constitution supersedes any non-disclosure agreement that Snowden signed. The bulk collection of data belonging to US citizens by the NSA was infringing their constitutional right to privacy.

Releasing government secrets even though it exposes their shady actions will always get a response. Snowden was always going to be in hot water if he was found out. It was a good thing for the rest of the world but he put himself in a very bad position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dubious charges in fairness, if there was no chance of him ending up in a cangaroo court in murika he'd probably have gone long ago, TBH i'd say the only way he's coming out is in a box but you never know i suppose

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't know why anyone would be a whistleblower.
    Take Assaunge and Snowden... But Snowdon is probably the better example because the information he revealed had it's 15 minutes everywhere, then it was over. Sure no-one gave a toss about him during those 15 minutes let alone now.

All it did was sell newspapers and make money for media outlets. Same as the information by Assaunge. It's didnt change anything... people read the stories then went back to eating their corn flakes.

But yet you, the whistleblower, will face charges from Governments and in the case on Snowdon... his own. All for what? Reading material at the breakfast table for some git?

EyeSight wrote: »
    Not really. I think people give orgs like the CIA too much credit, probably from movies. History has shown that their plans f**k up a lot or leaks(ironically enough) always get out.

I believe you read that, but i can never believe figures like these. Lets say they have 2 cops monitoring at all times, in 8 hour shifts. That's 6 cops who would be on a salary of over 1 million pounds per year. Maybe they're including the price of the cop cars, uniforms, training them etc. :confused:
    doubt it, the figures are made up i'd say, a while back it was 6 million

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

not at all, its all about getting him to the cangaroo court in murika where he will be found guilty on made up charges, unless he can get a deal he's best off living his days out where he is

probably, its america, they do what they like and make it up as they go along, they love their death penalty the US government, cheering afterwords also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Take Assaunge and Snowden... But Snowdon is probably the better example because the information he revealed had it's 15 minutes everywhere, then it was over. Sure no-one gave a toss about him during those 15 minutes let alone now.

Only if you haven't been paying attention to the US news. Hes been in it again and again. Fox news has really never let him go off air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

All it did was sell newspapers and make money for media outlets. Same as the information by Assaunge. It's didnt change anything... people read the stories then went back to eating their corn flakes.

But yet you, the whistleblower, will face charges from Governments and in the case on Snowdon... his own. All for what? Reading material at the breakfast table for some git?

assange still makes regular leaks in the embassy toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Strange that they invented the charges? No not at all, such antics are commonplace when you don't tow the line.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

he should dye his hair red.

Nobody would expect a Ginger Leak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

It's a bloody disgrace what people like Assange and Snowden have had to go through. They are the present time historians, telling the story as it happens, rather than waiting for the Victors to present their skewed version of the ''truth''. Without people like them we would have little clue about the shenanigans the so-called democratic governments of the world get up to. But because of the hounding they have received i reckon there will be alot fewer of such people in the future. so we will go back to government sponsored propaganda ''news'' versus the whacky conspiracytards version of things which can always be easily laughed off. What a world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Do we need to send a member of the Iona institute there to tell everyone they're against him coming out? I can hear them typing up a complaint to BAI already. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm disappointed this isn't a thread about Tom Cruise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

It's a bloody disgrace what people like Assange and Snowden have had to go through. They are the present time historians, telling the story as it happens, rather than waiting for the Victors to present their skewed version of the ''truth''. Without people like them we would have little clue about the shenanigans the so-called democratic governments of the world get up to. But because of the hounding they have received i reckon there will be alot fewer of such people in the future. so we will go back to government sponsored propaganda ''news'' versus the whacky conspiracytards version of things which can always be easily laughed off. What a world.

Tying Assange up with fake charges is peanuts

Nobody at the top cares

Sure weren't we complicit in this stuff providing stopovers at shannon

• Advertisement
Advertisement