Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Podcasts

Options
  • 18-08-2014 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here listen to any movie podcasts? If so, could you recommend any?

I've started listening to the Empire podcast with Helen O hara which is cool. Perhaps there are some a little less mainstream or more independent focused?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Listen to Film Junk pretty regularly. Doesn't take itself too seriously. Covers the latest cinema releases and older stuff.

Occasionally listen to Movie BS with Bayer and Snider.

Don't listen to Kermode and Mayo nearly as much as I used to. Got a bit tired of the endless in-jokes and reading of listeners emails and found myself fast forwarding through a lot of the interviews as I just wanted to hear the reviews.

Row Three is another one I've been meaning to check out but have never got around to listening to a single episode yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Don't listen to Kermode and Mayo nearly as much as I used to. Got a bit tired of the endless in-jokes and reading of listeners emails and found myself fast forwarding through a lot of the interviews as I just wanted to hear the reviews.

Just another perspective; I absolutely love Kermode and Mayo. One of the best things about it for me is how much they involve their listeners in the proceedings and really make them feel like a part of the show. Kermode is one of the best film critics around and I love his banter with Simon, but the we also get to hear other views from the listeners who occasionally disagree. There are a lot of in jokes which I get can be a bit tiresome especially for newbies but I've been listening for 7 years now so it doesn't bother me.

George Hook has a movie slot with Philip Molloy on Newstalk which is podcasted but I stopped listening because Philip Molloy's accent drives me mental, couldn't pronounce a 'th' to save his life.

Movies You Should See can be quite good especially since they've added a bit of structure but I only listen to ones about movies I've seen as they do discuss spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Reebrock wrote: »

I've started listening to the Empire podcast with Helen O hara which is cool. Perhaps there are some a little less mainstream or more independent focused?

Only really listen to Empire nowadays. It's a nice format, and it's pitched just the right side of humorous banter and more serious discussion. The big problem is that I've never really trusted Empire's reviews, particularly when it comes to big releases. That, and they don't dedicate a lot of time to reviews; after they review the big film of the week, the rest only get a quick mention before they wrap up.

Like others, used to be a huge fan of Kermode and Mayo, but they really bought into their own hype and from then on it was all in-jokes, listener's letters (BA Hons), live audiences, and the whole thing just disappeared up its own arse. A shame, because even if you disagree with Kermode, his opinion is usually worth listening to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

How Did This Get Made: The only film podcast not up its own arse. Review awful movies with each of the hosts having fairly big names in comedy/sitcoms. They have a different guest each week and the live shows are fantastic to listen to. You don't even need to really watch the films they review because they're that funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Shameless plug : www.isitabicycle.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 gerdywerdy

HI Everyone
    I love Movie Podcasts and really Enjoy Kermode's Movie Reviews

but a few others I recommend are

1) Movie Podcast Weekly (Probably my favorite
    2) Horror Movie Podcast (by some of the same guys on MPW but focuses only on horror)
    3) Is it a bicycle (Really good show with Irish Hosts)
    4) /Filmcast (long running movie review show)
    5) BBFC has a good podcast about film classifications if you are interested in that type of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Electric Red

Love the Empire podcast and Kermode and Mayo too, I find between those two and the other non movie podcasts I listen to, finding time for other podcasts is impossible. I find the Kermode one interesting, as Simon Mayo is usually pretty honest after an interview how the guest was (everyone has heard the Diana Naoimi Watts interview?) plus the in jokes are fun and then the empire one is a bit more into the Marvel scene and LOTR and that type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://maltinonmovies.wolfpop.com/audio/playlists/3945 Leonard Maltin has started a podcast, he takes a theme each week from current films like the Matthew McConaughey biopics, comedy actors, and looks over 3 films, great good and not so good, he has this youngish commedian on the podcast to discuss the films with,which is fine he needs osmebody to bounce off and keep the energy up, I listened to the first few podcast which were good, but particularily in the Comedy Actors podcast http://maltinonmovies.wolfpop.com/audio/20314/comedians-get-serious he guy just startes repeating the last few words of Maltin's sentence, its not helpful, its just annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Keeping it reel and ign film podcast I've start listening the past few weeks. There no in depth reviews but good for news and discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

If you are into science fiction, this is a very entertaining podcast. They review a different sci-fi movie every week, classics and new movies.

http://sci-fimoviepodcast.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I usually prefer movie podcasts that don't just do the whole weekly reviews type format. My absolute favourite these days, and it looks like it's doing well enough that it'll stick around is Karina Longworth's You Must Remember This, pretty much every episode is immaculately researched and really interesting, with a strong leaning towards stories about women and film. I honestly can't even think of an episode to start with cos it's so consistently good, just scroll through them and go with what grabs your interest.

Other movie podcasts I listen to include:
    The Auteurcast - work through the entire filmography of a director with one film per episode
    the Flop House - a few writers of the daily show watch a recent film which was either a critical or commercial flop which they feel might be good in some way and talk about it. You need to get familiar with the trio but it's probably the podcast I've laughed most at. This special episode was my introduction point.
    Battleship Pretension - two guys talk about a specific topic for 1-2 hours, quality varies hugely depending on the topic. Always seem to wind up getting a few recommendations of films from years ago from this, the gigantic episode about 1999 had me taking down film titles like crazy.
    the Canon - two critics debate the merit of some highly thought of film, was a bit shaky initially but they seem to be finding their footing quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

gerdywerdy wrote: »

1) Movie Podcast Weekly (Probably my favorite

Is there a link for this?

I have just an android phone

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gerdywerdy

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Is there a link for this?

I have just an android phone

moviepodcastweekly into google or just add .com

remove spaces

other wolfpop podcasts "I Was There Too" the other guy in that famous shot, is good

catching up with Denzel Washington is Greatest Actor of All Time Period
    which is fun

Happy Sad Confused is ok, its the former MTV movie guy interviewing people, always trying to insert how friendy he is with the stars, often ask the obvious questions but often goes back over early their career which is good

http://stagebloc.com/wolfpop/shows

KCRW's The treatment with Elvis Mitchell 20-30 minute interviews with film stars

good interviewer

http://feeds.kcrw.com/kcrw/tt

I listen to http://www.filmsack.com but I despise I think its Brian the guy who always "well actually", or asks a question to which he already decided hes going to tell you the answer to, he claims he says things he doesnt believe just to develop conversation, but I dont believe he's just trying to be a hipster.

the canon I fear is similar I like the Amy because I used to watch her when she was on the Streaming Garage Movie review show, but I fear these artifical debates don't lead to people saying what they really think just being contrary ofor the sake of it.

ps I like spoiler podcasts, slate does them occasionally, screenrant

http://screenrant.com/interstellar-movie-spoilers/

How did this get made ? is well known podcast about bad films here's their tango and cash ep, their live episode are the best ones as with every podcast
    http://www.earwolf.com/episode/tango-cash/ Paul Scheer is bit annoying because he shouts, and talks over the other presenters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I've recently found out about The Flop House, a podcast where three comedy writers watch a movie that they reasonably assume to be bad, discuss it and decide whether it's Good-bad, Bad-bad or Actually Kind of Good. Very fun and funny and they've been doing it since before bad movie podcasts were a cliché so there's a ton of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RyanAdams11

Reebrock wrote: »

Heroes for Hire - an Irish comicbook and movie based podcast that's kinda newish. They tackle all the weeks movie news along with weird news. They also do a cool segment called Hero or Zero every week talking one comicbook character and doing an in depth discussion on them. I find it really funny and their accents are just cool

I always listen to them on podbean, I find it's the best app for listening to stuff but they're on Itunes, Spotify and Castbox too i think?

Advertisement