Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12-month lease followed by 6-month fixed term. Can I invoke a Part IV?

Options
  • 18-08-2014 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Hi,

hoping someone can advise on whether I can invoke a part iv? I requested a 6 month lease after my 12 month lease expired.

I have 2 weeks left on my 6 month lease. I requested clarity on the last payment date of this lease, 2 weeks ago. They are fudging. So far they have not advertised so I do not have to compensate for that; yet.

I'm just unsure as to whether my tenancy counts as 6 months now or 18 months. Although, it does state '6 months or more' for a part IV so technically if I invoked it on my last day, I might be covered by the Act anyway?

if someone could clarify, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

You're currently 17 months into your tenancy and are already under Part IV. The only matter for contention is the stipulation that you are required to notify the landlord, or agent acting on behalf of the landlord, one month prior to the completion of a lease that you intend to remain in tenancy under Part IV. If you do not do so you can be held liable for any advertising or related costs incurred as a result of the LL or agent attempting to relet the property.

Just to clarify further, leases benefit both tenants and landlords. I hope you realise what you're giving up by choosing to remain in tenancy without a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi,

thanks for the reply. Yes, wanted to clarify whether I was still on Part IV having signed a new lease; so thanks for that.

I hear what you're saying but in this case price was more important to me than location so a locked-in lease would ony help if at the same rate or lower. As I said, they were fudging. with 2 weeks to go. Thankfully I have now been offered another 6 month lease. So its win-win all around as I am a model tenant :D

Advertisement