Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - we are not in a position to accept increased rent

Options
  • 18-08-2014 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi All,

Some quick advice if possible:
    We are 4yrs and 6months renting our current property. Landlord increased rent last year via email on 01Oct. Rent falls on 23rd of each month. The original contract is the only one ever signed. We were notified of another increase on 13th of this month (which we can't sustain), and it states increase from 01st Oct. We were given 10 days to consider. Am I right in thinking we have to be gone on 23rd Sep? Or is there any loophole I don't know of?
    Also, with regard to future tenants viewing. Are we entitled to be there when any views take place? We're not comfortable with random strangers perusing our personal stuff in our absence.
    Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Alicano wrote: »
    Hi All,

Some quick advice if possible:
    We are 4yrs and 6months renting our current property. Landlord increased rent last year via email on 01Oct. Rent falls on 23rd of each month. The original contract is the only one ever signed. We were notified of another increase on 13th of this month (which we can't sustain), and it states increase from 01st Oct. We were given 10 days to consider. Am I right in thinking we have to be gone on 23rd Sep? Or is there any loophole I don't know of?
    Also, with regard to future tenants viewing. Are we entitled to be there when any views take place? We're not comfortable with random strangers perusing our personal stuff in our absence.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    You are on a part iv tenancy you must give 56 days notice if you wish to vacate.
    For viewings, they should be at your convenience and only if you agree to them. The landlord or his agents can't just rock up whenever they want to do the viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

Thanks Morrigan.
    Yeah we know that viewings can't take place without notice, but I was unsure if the landlord has the right to ask us to be out when viewings take place?
    I was aware of the 56 days. But is that only if we were giving notice? Landlord has served us notice of increase with the 10 days consideration time. So we thought we would decline.. this 23rd rent would cover Sep, and we vacate next month? Am I deluded!?
    Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are on a part iv tenancy you must give 56 days notice if you wish to vacate.

Which may be reduced by mutual agreement.

There are no laws covering what you may or may not agree too.

If I was you, I would get busy finding somewhere that I could afford, and then talk to the landlord about a mutually acceptable date to move out. He may not insist on the full 56 days if it gives him the freedom to show the place to people who can afford the higher rate whenever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Is it a big jump in rent, is it above market value, why not see if you can come to a compromise

Is it a big jump in rent, is it above market value, why not see if you can come to a compromise

It was increased from 1000 to 1100 last October. The new price is 1250. The price is in line with market value. We have no issue with that and can accept that it's just tough and that's the way the market has gone.
    We really hope that common courtesy will prevail here, and enjoy a smooth exit and handover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Citizens information contains some useful info, explaining the legislation regarding rent increases. It may be worth a look. However, the important thing is to talk to the landlord about both the rent increase and the notice to move out. Would you be able to afford/willing to pay some of what he's asking, and do you think that he would be willing to accept less than he was asking, but more than he's getting now?

Just thought I'd mention that we have agreed a date to hand over that suits both parties. It's advertised on daft now at 1300! In other news, between all the looking on line, I've a pain in my neck with false photographs and lenses used to give fictional ideas of space. Some hallways look 30m long!! Do agents think people are thick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Alicano wrote: »
    Just thought I'd mention that we have agreed a date to hand over that suits both parties. It's advertised on daft now at 1300! In other news, between all the looking on line, I've a pain in my neck with false photographs and lenses used to give fictional ideas of space. Some hallways look 30m long!! Do agents think people are thick?

Well its so difficult to rent in Dublin. Im sure plently of people will be lining up to take it. Its no longer a tenants market and a lot of people still need to realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yea some agents do think people are thick. and in fairness some people are!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

There is a fabulous thread on here which shows some of the wondrous properties to rent in Ireland, most coming with the obligatory "crying chair"

Good luck with your search...

• Advertisement

Ah yes I am very familiar with the 'crying chair' thread. It's fantastic. Like I said above, we have no prob with the increase and accept it's just tough crap. 98% certain we'll be moving in with my parents until things either cool down or we get a little richer. Sometimes I wish I was from Cavan instead of Dublin! I could buy Falcon Crest with my spare change :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

dharma200 wrote: »
    There is a fabulous thread on here which shows some of the wondrous properties to rent in Ireland, most coming with the obligatory "crying chair"

Good luck with your search...

crying chair?

yup, the crying chair.. it is the chair in which one sits when crying about paying 1500 euros for a 2m x 2m room.. look for the thread it is kind of hilarious, kind of depressing, and shows a good few landlords up for the money hungry greedy little trolls they are!! (not al landlords some!!)

Hi All. I just need one more bit of advice please. We are just about certain moving in with my parents for a while. We will either wait around for another rental property that suits and be in a position to move 'immediately'. And/or we will work on bettering our buying position over the course of our stay. If option 2 is the choice, how best should we show our financial saving ability? We have rented for 8 yrs etc but I've now cancelled the standing order to current landlord. Should I increase the standing order to my credit union account to match the amount of my rent? Or maybe increase same amount in to our joint account (which was for bills and food etc.)?.
    I hope I'm making sense here!? If we are applying for mortgage in a few months I don't want a gap in my financial timeline where rent disappears and not replaced by some other form of saving?
    Many thanks in advance.

Advertisement