Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Ireman - Groomsport

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Nice win for one of our own over the weekend. Splits suggest a new Irish IM record could be set at Mallorca next month. :eek: :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats zico, I assume :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    Congrats zico, I assume :cool:

Yup. 3:30 finish time. Sub 12 swim and sub 2hour bike. 82 min run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

BTH wrote: »
    Nice win for one of our own over the weekend. Splits suggest a new Irish IM record could be set at Mallorca next month. :eek: :rolleyes:

'Irish' record? Don't you mean 'world'?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

. Sub 12 swim

????? i presume the swim wasn't 1.9km?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just saw that on BookFace...well done zico...who needs a winter of bike training eh?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

mossym wrote: »
    ????? i presume the swim wasn't 1.9km?

I think the 47kmph is even more impressive.

I think the 47kmph is even more impressive.

i never made it past the 12 min swim bit. that answers that question then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Going by the standard of the swim and bike, that run was quite disappointing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

zico most likely bought himself a coffee and some 2 for 1 sweat deals during the run .... last week this process took 10 min ...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I heard about 5 or 6 of the top ten missed a turn on apparently an out and back course. no marshal or marshal on the phone. know your course i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Saw a pic of your dismount Zico...

Man you were lucky not to hit the deck!

Get BTH to give you some tips he was doing flying dismounts before you had that beard....! :-D

Great win though well done!

P2C wrote: »
    I heard about 5 or 6 of the top ten missed a turn on apparently an out and back course. no marshal or marshal on the phone. know your course i suppose

Tell the marshals not to be playing Candy Crush I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Some dismount alright...that's how I imagine I would come off the bike if I tried a flying dismount...I'd say I'd hit the deck though :p

Fazz wrote: »

!

in on of the pics, what were you looking back at zico, did you hit something?

Fazz wrote: »
    Saw a pic of your dismount Zico...

Get BTH to give you some tips he was doing flying dismounts before you had that beard....! :-D

I was very, very lucky I know. I was sure I was gone. The turn downhill to transition came upon me suddenly and I didn't have time to get my feet out of the shoes. Then my left shoe was still clipped in when I went to dismount, obviously didn't get it unclipped in good time and you saw the results. But I just about managed to stay upright, so all's well that ends well.
    Great win though well done!

Thanks. I'm happy to have come away with my first win ever, but it has to be put in context. Saying it was a 'great' win would be stretching it. It wasn't the strongest field and the shortened swim helped me more than most. It suits me to say it, but I honestly don't think they had any other option than to shorten the swim. Even with the shelter of a harbour wall they were by far the worst conditions I've ever swam in. The bike was shortened by 20km. The return leg against the wind was certainly tough, but I'd have preferred had they left it at the full 90km. Though I might have been in a minority here. Given the weather I think the organisers did well, but the reason I went to Groomsport was to do a HIM, so I'm disappointed it didn't happen.

Some dismount alright...that's how I imagine I would come off the bike if I tried a flying dismount...I'd say I'd hit the deck though :p

I know the photos don't paint a pretty picture, but flying dismounts really aren't all that difficult. With a small bit of practise they're very easy to pull off. How hard you have to train to gain 30 seconds on a 5k run or 750m swim should be motivation enough to practise.
    mossym wrote: »
    in on of the pics, what were you looking back at zico, did you hit something?

It would be a nice excuse but no, I didn't hit anything. I just completely messed up. Once I'd fully regained my balance I looked back just to see were there any other cyclists close behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Dose not matter how quick you swim/bike or run. Its always the first across the line that wins the race. Well done on you maiden victory. Everyone had to deal with the same conditions. welldone

Advertisement