Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken microwave - most likely needs a new magnetron

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

Has anyone ever gotten a microwave repaired - specifically for a broken magnetron? The microwave appears to be working but doesn't actually heat anything up which is why I think it's the magnetron. Would it be as cheap to buy a new one?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

i've had it happen a couple of times

afaik it's not economical

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sineadbcoyle

Thanks for the reply. Yeah considering there are decent-ish looking ones for about €50-70 in power city I might just get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

it is more likely to be a faulty diode or even a fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I would doubt that the magnetron is gone - they are fairly robust - far more likely it's the circuit which drives it. For the kind of money you are looking at for a new one (€50-70), it's not really worth the time and parts trying to repair it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Hi,

Has anyone ever gotten a microwave repaired - specifically for a broken magnetron? The microwave appears to be working but doesn't actually heat anything up which is why I think it's the magnetron. Would it be as cheap to buy a new one?
    Might be just a spade terminal!
    I had one where the connection to the Magnetron was bad, one wire
    had loosened = no power.

Just had to remake the connection & all was OK again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

While the price of a new one can make the cost of repair seem uneconomical, I'm sorry I ever replaced my old one. There was a dial to vary the wattage, (marked by wattage, not %, or high/med/low)so it was easy to follow any cooking instructions, whether the package said 3 minutes at 800 watts or 4 minutes at 750 watts, I could set it directly without guess work or getting the calculator out.
    So if you were happy with the old one, it might be worth the cost of repair.

Advertisement