Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost/day out

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe my mind is not working full speed at the moment or something, but on the imagonisity web site I cant see how much it costs can anyone tell me or am I looking at it wrong. Its 3 boys I am thinking of taking aged 10, 7, and 5 good idea?

Finely any good pizza deals I could use to take them for food afterwards or any other good ideas for food.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So I went yesterday, I think its really only suitable for children under 8. I thought it was expensive at 8 euro a head, my biggest complaint was the fact that it was jam packets to the point of being a bit uncomfortable and that the place was often a mess because of that. It could be good for small children if you were there on a quiet afternoon.

I have very little to do with small children anymore except for my siblings children. I do think a do think a discussion page about the pros/cons and the cost of different family days our would be good along with their suitability for different ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have very little to do with small children anymore except for my siblings children. I do think a do think a discussion page about the pros/cons and the cost of different family days our would be good along with their suitability for different ages.

Would love to take my fella (21months) here. But as I have a baby aswell, my OH would need to come to take him around the stuff while I follow them around minding the baby. It would end up being around €24 for the pleasure which I think is really expensive! I wouldn't mind paying the money if my son was older, like 3,4 or 5 and then he could enjoy the museum and other features... But I just think he is too young to take in everything at the minute. So €24 just seems a bit of a rip for what he would get out of it! I don't think they should charge for adults if they are literally going in to make sure their child isn't getting bowled over by the older kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Would love to take my fella (21months) here. But as I have a baby aswell, my OH would need to come to take him around the stuff while I follow them around minding the baby.
    Let your OH mind the baby at home and go with the 21 mth old. Or else get the OH to go with jnr and you stay at home with the baby:)

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Let your OH mind the baby at home and go with the 21 mth old. Or else get the OH to go with jnr and you stay at home with the baby:)

Ah yea you're prob right... Could do it that way. But for example if we wanted to go together at weekend. €24 just seems so expensive when were really only going to supervise him play. See we like to all be together at weekends as husband works all week.

When you compare that to got example the €6 that we pay to go to Panda Play Cafe which he loves its a no brainier really.

Went to "airfield farm" in dundrum a couple months ago. Really wouldn't advise it. Cost €20 to see an auld donkey and some piglets. Complete rip! I don't mind forking out good money if things are worth it tho. Might try Dublin zoo in a few months after his 2nd bday. I've heard it's a great day out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I know what you mean. I'm going back to work soon so the weekends will be precious. I would recomend though just do a picnic and a playground. The kids will love it. There is a brand new one in Merrion Square or Malahide Castle has a huge one. Free day out, cheap eating and everyones happy. Don't feel obliged to go somewhere that has an admission charge.

I haven't been to the zoo for 30 years. I can't wait till jnr is old enough so I can take him:D

Yea that's it... He's only just beginning to notice and enjoy animals so he's prob still a little young to appreciate the zoo just yet but id say in a couple months time he will love it... So will me and OH! :)

Yep playgrounds are great! Will try the ones you suggested, thanks for that. Herbert park and Marley park also have good ones that cater for the younger toddlers aswell :).

I'm not at that stage yet. He is only 6 mths.
    They had a petting section in Merrion Square recently where there were sheep, goats, ducks, rabbits, hamsters, mice, gunea pigs etc etc. Was all free. Keep an eye out for these family events organised by DCC. They are usually pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I agree that imaginosity can be quite expensive, and is most suited to 2 to 6 year olds.

However, I would just like to point out that it is a not for profit charity and every year at Christmas they also support other charities such as Barnardos or Focus Ireland.

Therefore I don't mind the price so much.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I'm not at that stage yet. He is only 6 mths.
    They had a petting section in Merrion Square recently where there were sheep, goats, ducks, rabbits, hamsters, mice, gunea pigs etc etc. Was all free. Keep an eye out for these family events organised by DCC. They are usually pretty good.

They had a cool petting area in Marley the last week aswell. My guy loved the sheep... Tried to kiss one. Then he got to hold a rabbit... But got bored literally after 30 seconds of that and pulled a tantrum midway through... He just doesn't properly understand yet. Oh was obviously right next to him and had to rescue the bunny before the poor thing got thrown off! He loved feeding the sheep grass and got some great pics.

I agree that imaginosity can be quite expensive, and is most suited to 2 to 6 year olds.

However, I would just like to point out that it is a not for profit charity and every year at Christmas they also support other charities such as Barnardos or Focus Ireland.

Therefore I don't mind the price so much.

I actually wouldn't mind if Imaginosity was even €10-12 for kids... It just annoys me that adults would have to pay when it really is aimed at children and the adults have to go to supervise. The zoo for example is geared towards adults aswell and is a full day out so I can understand why they would charge for adults.

But it's good they contribute to charities... That doesn't make it so bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I brought my son to imaginosity last summer. He was 2.5 yrs and he was too young for it. Also he needed a friend with him as he was kind of lost and a bit intimidated by large groups of kids taking over the toys he was playing with.

However, while it may have charity status I found the place dirty in parts, toys thrown everywhere, lots of toys damaged or broken and the majority of the toys were from ikea of Melissa and Doug. I'd have no big problem with all of that (apart from the dirt perhaps) if they didn't charge for children AND adults, didn't pack them in and didn't kick everyone out after the scheduled slot is over.

It's got charity status but it's run like a business so I expect it to maintain certain standards.

We've found our best days out are playgrounds and a babycino in a cafe/ice cream after or a trip to the beach. The more simple the day the more they enjoy it. My son has had a few great afternoons at the zoo too. Sometimes it's just us or other times we go with friends with kids of the same age. We've just gotten the annual card for the second year.

Funnily enough my sons absolute best day of his life to date, and one he still talks of a year later, was coming along to the mum and baby meet up with me last summer, unexpectedly meeting some if his crèche pals there and having biscuits. We were there for an hour but he has never stopped talking about it.

Thanks How Strange, we will give Imaginosity a miss so as 21 months old is probably too young. Maybe next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks How Strange, we will give Imaginosity a miss so as 21 months old is probably too young. Maybe next year :)

Sligo1 next yr they will both love it. I took my 21mth old and 4yr old and they both loved it. I know someone said their 2.5yr old didn't like it but i think when your toddler has an older sibling they'll be fine, my older child probably wouldn't have been able for it at that age either but my 2nd is much better well able go, and the older child seems to enjoy things more as well having a partner in crime with him :rolleyes:

Agree wtih OP i think it's really for under 8s. My older nieces/nephews are no longer interested.

My point might have been about the ages which various venues are suitable for as well as value for money, for example at imagonisity there was a girl of about 10 or 11 and its really not going to wow anyone of that age where as a 4 year old would like it.

They are off to a zip wire thing today which costs 20 euro, apparently its great for older children I had been thinking of taking them to Clara Laragh or forth Lucan or the national aquatic centre or something like that.

I do think free days are great and its good to reflect to children that shiny plastic paid for fun is not always the best day out, I like Argillan castle or if you have a child that's interested in history the Pearse museum in St Enda's park is interesting. There is lot of very good free stuff do.

I do think Airfield is a bit of rip off at the prices they charge now, I liked it before the refurbishment it was more homely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yea that's it... He's only just beginning to notice and enjoy animals so he's prob still a little young to appreciate the zoo just yet but id say in a couple months time he will love it... So will me and OH! :)

Yeah I'd love to take S to Fota Wildlife Park and I have no doubt he'd love it. But if I'm completely honest he wouldn't love it any more than he loves seeing dogs on a walk or the neighbour's horse and chickens. So it makes sense to wait until he is actually old enough to appreciate the novelty of giraffes and monkeys to spend that kind of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We find the best way to do fota is the annual pass. Loads of corporates sponsor them as well, some give up to 50% discount on it. The fota annual pass also gets you into dublin zoo and edinburgh zoo.

There are two passes, the normal and conservation. Normal one is 112, Conservation one we find better, as we can bring friends and other families in with us for free on that one. (165 for the year) Children under three are free, and you can take all sorts of combinations of children and adults. https://www.fotawildlife.ie/tickets-membership

We go to fota wildife park once a month, sometimes more. We went a couple of times a week over the summer. Would be pretty broke at 44 euro a go unless we had the annual pass. The fota gardens are fantastic as well, and completely FREE. There is a 3 euro charge for the carpark that serves both the park and the gardens.

If you buy the Dublin zoo pass in Dublin and not in Fota, you can share it with another family so you can split the cost. For some strange reason if you buy the pass in fota they don't let you share with anyone else.

I just saw what pwurple said about bringing a family in with you on her type of pass. I'm not sure if it's the sane thing. My friend and I bought the zoo pass so we both have annual tickets for €82 each (or thereabouts!)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Calmsurrender

I brought 23 month old to Imaginosity and she absolutely loved it. Granted it was a weekday so it wasnt too busy but she couldn't get enough of it. Loved the shop, the nurses station, the work bench ... of course her favourite area was the baby area she was too old for!
    My only real disappointment was the rooftop playground was closed even though there was a sign saying it would be opening in April (we went in April) but sure she'd done enough by then.
    I was thinking though... how expensive it would be with another child/partner along with you .. might have to be on the lookout for those grown ups go free coupons should we ever want to return :)

As for the zoo ... well its funny i had the choice between Airfield Farm and the Zoo and i chose the Zoo.
    Total waste of time, effort and money.
    Now granted I went about it wrong, chose to walk from Stephens green up to Phoenix park so by the time I got there i was wrecked and the child had eaten all the bribes and was dying to get out of the buggy.
    She was happy to run around but when looking at the animals she might as well be looking at a picture of a Tiger instead because they barely move. Its different for an older child because they can learn a bit about the tiger etc where as my kid only got excited when a crow landed in front of her! And the part she really got a kick out of was the farm part!!
    Id bring her again when shes about 5 maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

iguana wrote: »
    Yeah I'd love to take S to Fota Wildlife Park and I have no doubt he'd love it. But if I'm completely honest he wouldn't love it any more than he loves seeing dogs on a walk or the neighbour's horse and chickens. So it makes sense to wait until he is actually old enough to appreciate the novelty of giraffes and monkeys to spend that kind of money.

This reminds me of my boy when he was a toddler, we used to go to the zoo a lot as my brother had a year family pass. My son used to stroll past all the exotic animals in cageswith barely a glance - but when he saw a pigeon on the path in front of him he would go nuts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I've brought my son who is now 3.5 to the zoo a few times due to getting discount tickets etc, and while he likes it, he gets so tired and cranky by the end of it. He seems to enjoy newbridge farm so much more. It's handy from where I live and it's only a fiver for me and four euro for him. Under 2's are free.

I brought him to imaginosity once when he was just two. He seemed to love it but, as others have said, it bugged me big time having to pay in for myself and my sister given all we were doing was watching him play.

On another note, I saw Newbarn farm in Ashbourne listed as one of the nominees for 'best day out' in the Irish Times. Does anyone know is it worth going to? It's a free open farm if you buy something in the shop or restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I used to love Airfield before they did it up. You'd spend hours there. But I went to bring the kids there with my parents at the beginning of the summer and it was nearly 30 quid. So we left.

I love glenroe farm. The playground is great too.

But I have to admit this summer, particularly since the airfield shocker, I haven't gone anywhere that you need to pay in. I can't afford it. So its been a summer of different parks and playgrounds. ..a few fairy walks and a couple of hikes up the mountains. Luckily the weather has been on our side!

Im sure my stinginess will have to end when the winter comes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If you buy the Dublin zoo pass in Dublin and not in Fota, you can share it with another family so you can split the cost. For some strange reason if you buy the pass in fota they don't let you share with anyone else.

I just saw what pwurple said about bringing a family in with you on her type of pass. I'm not sure if it's the sane thing. My friend and I bought the zoo pass so we both have annual tickets for €82 each (or thereabouts!)

You can split the fota one between families, but you need to buy another card to do it, so an extra 10 euro. That comes to 175, so similar price. Does the dublin zoo pass also get you into fota?

pwurple wrote: »
    You can split the fota one between families, but you need to buy another card to do it, so an extra 10 euro. That comes to 175, so similar price. Does the dublin zoo pass also get you into fota?
    Ok, maybe that's it. It's just slightly dearer to buy the ticket in fota. Yes the zoo pass is valid in fota and vice versa.

Advertisement