Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avocado

Options
  • 18-08-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I have only recently started to eat Avocado, I currently buy the pre-packed ready to eat ones costing approx. €2.50 for 2. The supermarkets sell the unripened ones individually a lot cheaper than this. If I buy these is it just a case of waiting for them to ripen? (outer case turning black as opposed to green). I bought an individual one a couple of weeks ago and it is still green! Excuse my ignorance please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

should be, i buy 4 for £1 in my supermarket (in England) which are generally hard and green. in about 4/5 days they darken and soften (i keep them in my fruit bowl/with my veg). once they get to that stage i stick them in the fridge. not sure if that does anything to help the ripening process or delay it, but i prefer to eat them cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Thanks Gucci, I actually left them in the fridge which wouldn't help. Will leave them out from now on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If you pop them in a paper bag with a banana they're supposed to ripen a bit faster. Not fast enough so you can buy them rock solid on one day and eat perfect avocado they day after (from bitter experience I know this) but it is supposed to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I do the banana trick (the more ripe the banana the better), but it still takes a couple of days for the avocados to ripen. Also a good idea to keep them on a soft surface (like kitchen paper) as otherwise they can bruise as they ripen.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

I buy them in Aldi, 2 for 99c I think. They're already dark green when I buy them, so they're ready to eat in a day or two!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's different types of avocado, one with black skin and one with green. The green ones will not turn black. They're ripe when they yield slightly when you gently squeeze them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I normally leave them out of the fridge and just fold them in a tea towel. This traps enough of the gasses that ripen them and leaves in air too, this is how my Grandmother in Mexico does it. Normally takes a couple days to ripen, depending on room temp.

Putting them in the fridge slows down the process and I put them in when just about ripe to keep for longer if I have a few.

I find putting them in a fridge they never fully ripen. Yet can discolour and go bad inside while still hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭chooey

Lidl has a bag of about 5/6 for just under 2 euro and there tends to be a couple that are riper than others so it lasts a while

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

you'll never get avacado at it's best buying them at this time of year, it's akin to buying strawberries at christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Not really as Strawberries are grown in Ireland in the Summer. So you can get fruit that was picked that very day.

Avocados are not grown in Ireland and are imported year round. It also depends where the fruit is coming from and the variety of avocado as they crop at different times of the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement