Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental house - paint peeling

Options
  • 18-08-2014 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

We're living in a rental for over a year (an old house, but lovely) and we'll more than likely be here another year or so until we go mortgage hunting. The bathroom, however, needs work. The only ventilation is a big window, no fan or anything for the steam from the electric shower. The place was painted before we moved in but already it's bubbling and starting to peel.

Being a rental I don't want to put much money into it but all the same, I'd like it looking decent. To sort the paint would I need to
    • scrape the existing paint off
    • let it dry (how long ?)
    • use a primer
    • then 1-3 coats of normal paint

How long would this process take? It's our only shower so if it needs a couple of days drying etc. I don't know if it's worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 forrest gump

Scrape off the paint first. And then paint with external paint over the shower unit. Two coats off the external paint should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Scrape off paint and then apply 2 coats of Zinnser Bin Perma-white. Job done. The window is much more beneficial that any fan. Just open it frequently and you'll be fine. The zinnser stuff is great. Just bought 2.5ltrs earlier on today for a job I'm doing at the mo. €47, but worth it. For a small bathroom ceiling, you might get away with 1 ltr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If it's rented, why are you paying for the necessary work? Shouldn't you be talking to the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ART6 wrote: »
    If it's rented, why are you paying for the necessary work? Shouldn't you be talking to the landlord?
    I meant to stick in to my reply what art has said. Not your problem really.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Thanks lads. I probably will say it to the landlord but considering they had it done only a year ago and it's going to crap already I don't know if they would be pushed.
    Tempted to say I'll do it myself if he knocks the cost of materials of the rent, and then I'd buy the proper stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

dodzy wrote:
    Scrape off paint and then apply 2 coats of Zinnser Bin Perma-white. Job done. The window is much more beneficial that any fan. Just open it frequently and you'll be fine. The zinnser stuff is great. Just bought 2.5ltrs earlier on today for a job I'm doing at the mo. €47, but worth it. For a small bathroom ceiling, you might get away with 1 ltr

This is probably your best option. However be careful as Bin and Perma White are 2 different Products. You need Zinsser Perma White Mould&Mildew Paint. You can leave this as a finish or you can use any standard emulsion over it. I would recommend an Acrylic Eggshell/Matt (depending on pref) as they are durable. Also a window is not more beneficial than a fan as it does not regulate the extraction of air, it can also cause more condensation on walls as they cool quickly compared to a 4" extration fan that stay on up to 5 mins after shower/bathroom use.

Advertisement