Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trailer Licence

Options
  • 18-08-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

I thought about putting this in the Learning to Drive forum, but I'd prefer to get the opinion of horsey folk :)

I would love my own independence in terms of getting around with my horse, so looking at getting a jeep and horsebox over the next 6-12 months. I know I need the trailer licence, however both the RSA and NDLS sites are extremely unclear as to what's involved. I have a full B Licence which I got in 2010, so do I need to take a theory test again, or how does it work? I know that you have to hold the E provisional for 6 months before you can take the test, but I'm not sure of any guidelines on number of lessons etc., like the B licence.

Also, if anyone can recommend a good place that does towing lessons in South Dublin, that would be really helpful :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

As far as I know, you don't resit your theory and there isn't a set number of lessons (but could be open for correction on that).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aoifemcd

sup_dude wrote: »
    As far as I know, you don't resit your theory and there isn't a set number of lessons (but could be open for correction on that).

This is right. I got my trailer learner permit in April. Basically I just went into an ndls centre and applied for a learner permit and selected that category. I got my licence about 10 days later and it just had that category on it. I still have to use the pink paper licence for my regular B licence. I could sit the test tomorrow if I felt like it and don't have to do any lessons because it's not my first learner permit. I'm going to do a few anyway but there's no requirements. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

aoifemcd wrote: »
    This is right. I got my trailer learner permit in April. Basically I just went into an ndls centre and applied for a learner permit and selected that category. I got my licence about 10 days later and it just had that category on it. I still have to use the pink paper licence for my regular B licence. I could sit the test tomorrow if I felt like it and don't have to do any lessons because it's not my first learner permit. I'm going to do a few anyway but there's no requirements. Best of luck with it!

Oh that's great - good to know someone who has recently gone through the process. Thanks!

Who are you taking your lessons with, if you're in Dublin?

I'm going to do them with a guy called Fred Roberts in Navan. I did my original driving lessons with him and found him fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

I finally got this sorted :D

Applied for my permit earlier in the year - I sat a theory for my original B license so didn't have to sit it again.

Once I got my permit I booked my test straight away - had a few lessons and then took the test 2 months later - passed thankfully and now have my BE license.

You don't have to wait the 6 months;

• Advertisement

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

You will need to resit your theory test again - you have 2 years after passing the theory to do the driving test.

I had my B license for years and did my BE last year. I had to apply for a BE learners permit, pass the theory and take the driving test. The BE driving test is almost the same as the B car test - no multipoint turn but there is a reverser around a corner and hill start.

I suggest you get some lessons just to get into the exaggerated use of mirrors required etc and to get practice on the turns that the examiners use for reversing - any decent local driving school will know these. If you already have a full B license you wont require a minimum number of lessons, I had 5 plus one pretest lesson because I had little experience of towing but you will need a few to familiarise yourself with the test route, the exaggerated observation required (NB) and ironing out of any bad habits you may have developed (coasting in my case amongst others). On my test date, I passed and the guy before me had years of towing experience, he failed and had 1 lesson.

I also suggest you use a trailer from a driving school - there is a requirement to bulk the weight of the trailer with cement blocks - the exact weight is on the NDLS site and any reputable school will have a trailer the fully functioning lights etc.

I did my test in Naas and can recommend a driving school if you pm me - the learing to drive forum doesnt allow driving schools to be named in posts.

You will need to resit your theory test again - you have 2 years after passing the theory to do the driving test.

I did my theory test in 2009 and got my full B licence in 2010 and I didn't have to resit the theory test this year to get the EB learner permit.

When I called NDLS to enquire about it I was told if you have sat the theory test since the year 2000 you don't need to do it again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was thinking of getting me BE licence just to be sure but have decided to go for the lorry one instead and buy a small horse / pony lorry.

Looking forward to all the paperwork / lessons to go with it!!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting me BE licence just to be sure but have decided to go for the lorry one instead and buy a small horse / pony lorry.

Looking forward to all the paperwork / lessons to go with it!!!

That's a good idea!

Transport costs are so expensive - the only reason I'm getting a jeep and trailer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    That's a good idea!

Transport costs are so expensive - the only reason I'm getting a jeep and trailer!

I commute 75 miles a day and while it's manageable in the xtrail there's no way I could do it in a larger 4x4. I was looking at a land rover discovery but 2.7 tax and <30mpg isn't ideal. So small 3 pony lorry and a small economical car will do the trick.
    It's getting the c1 licence that's going to be a pain.

I commute 75 miles a day and while it's manageable in the xtrail there's no way I could do it in a larger 4x4. I was looking at a land rover discovery but 2.7 tax and <30mpg isn't ideal. So small 3 pony lorry and a small economical car will do the trick.

I suppose I'm lucky as I don't drive to work, I take the train, but any day I would drive in it's only a 20 minute city drive, so not too bad.

If you get an 08 and upwards, your tax will be greatly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I was thinking of doing this but getting a two horse lorry, under the 3.5 tonne, so no need for a licence. I'm currently driving a 2.5l pajero sport and its costing me €100 a week on diesel, going a fair amount of mileage. Its not easy!
    The two horse lorries are super expensive though..

Is it true with the c1 you need to retest regularly or something? Was thinking about doing that too as the larger trucks are cheaper because there is so many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jonesa1

Hi

I am also thinking of getting the BE license. I have a full B now so could I just apply for a learner BE permit or do I have to do the test first?

The sites are unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

Jonesa1 wrote: »
    Hi

I am also thinking of getting the BE license. I have a full B now so could I just apply for a learner BE permit or do I have to do the test first?

The sites are unclear.

You need a BE permit before you can take the BE test.

Hi

The sites are unclear.

If you've never done the theory test you will need to do that first, if you have you should be able to apply for the BE provisional without taking the theory test. You'll then need to take a BE test while towing a trailer to get a full BE licence.

On another note, I'm hearing you have to put Nplates up now as you've just passed at test. Nightmare.

Thanks

I have a full B license for about 6 years so not I have to do a theory test to get a BE learner permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

No theory test or no requirement to do any lessons beforehand.

If anyone knows someone who does do lessons on trailers in dublin could you let me know

ganmo wrote: »
    No theory test or no requirement to do any lessons beforehand.

If anyone knows someone who does do lessons on trailers in dublin could you let me know

So I can just apply for a BE learner permit without doing a theory test?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

yup and do the test whenever you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

I'm doing the rigid at the minute; the rigid driving test has changed, they now have 8 gears, 4 up and 4 down. Which is a little tricky to begin with. Once you pass your C it covers you for C1. I think if your driving for someone else you have to sit CPC yearly. Not sure if this includes private users.

I've applied for trailer learner permit, does any know of driving schools that hold trailer lessons in north leinster/south leitrim???

So I can just apply for a BE learner permit without doing a theory test?

I'm assuming you've previously done a theory test? If so you don't need to re-sit the theory. :)

Kamili wrote: »
    I'm assuming you've previously done a theory test? If so you don't need to re-sit the theory. :)

I did a theory test years ago before NDLS was set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

ganmo wrote: »

Airport School of Motoring - http://airportdrivingschool.com/

Irish School of Motoring - http://www.ism.ie/

Both do trailer lessons;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 neevz

I did my B test in 2008 and the EB this year.

No need to take the theory test again, just go to NDLS with current B licence and application for provisional EB licence. Also don't need to have it for 6 months, thats only for a B licence, you can do the EB straight away!

I did do a pre-test lesson with the ISM as they also lent me the trailer for the test, you need to have 1000kg of blocks in the trailer and if I put this in my horsebox it went over the towing capacity of the car so needed to borrow their lighter trailer.

However the only thing I will say is that I got quite a bit of mis-information from him about the test. eg. He told me the max speed for driving with a trailer was 90km/h, when it's actually 80. I passed the test as I'm a confident driver with the trailer and knew the rules of the road with them already, but for someone starting out and needing lessons, I definitely wouldn't recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Kamili wrote: »
    If you've never done the theory test you will need to do that first, if you have you should be able to apply for the BE provisional without taking the theory test. You'll then need to take a BE test while towing a trailer to get a full BE licence.

On another note, I'm hearing you have to put Nplates up now as you've just passed at test. Nightmare.

No, from the RSA site, N plates are only required if a person has been "granted a first full driving licence on or after 1st August 2014 ", so if you are doing the BE test now I assume you passed your B test before 1/8/2014, i.e. BE is not your first full driving licence,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

neevz wrote: »
    I did my B test in 2008 and the EB this year.

No need to take the theory test again, just go to NDLS with current B licence and application for provisional EB licence. Also don't need to have it for 6 months, thats only for a B licence, you can do the EB straight away!

I did do a pre-test lesson with the ISM as they also lent me the trailer for the test, you need to have 1000kg of blocks in the trailer and if I put this in my horsebox it went over the towing capacity of the car so needed to borrow their lighter trailer.

However the only thing I will say is that I got quite a bit of mis-information from him about the test. eg. He told me the max speed for driving with a trailer was 90km/h, when it's actually 80. I passed the test as I'm a confident driver with the trailer and knew the rules of the road with them already, but for someone starting out and needing lessons, I definitely wouldn't recommend them.

I've learner permit and theory test done .. Have test practical on Jan 06th.. I have option of horse box or could I use a nice double axle flat bed with sides 8"x 4" ifor Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

As far as I know you can't use an open trailer for the test, so would have to use the horsebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

ailbheg wrote: »
    As far as I know you can't use an open trailer for the test, so would have to use the horsebox.

I think you can use a flat trailer if you're jeep is an 'older' model (can't remember the year off the top of my head - sorry!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don't think so anymore convert. It has to have certain dimensions eg horse trailer size, and be carrying a certain weight eg breezeblocks also.

Advertisement