Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of Visa do I need to go on holidays to New York?

Options
  • 18-08-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

I am travelling for 5 nights in the new year.. I heard I will need an Esta Visa?? Which I apply and pay for online.

Is this the only thing I need to travel besides the readable passports?..

I had a look on the Aer Lingus website (the airline I am flying with ) and as far as I can gather that seems to be all I will require??

Also, what type of custom checks will they do in the airport? Do they still look through everybodys suitcase?

Can anybody who has been through this offer me any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. The ESTA is all you need.

Your hand luggage will be checked at the airport. Any bags that you check in will be screened prior to being put on the plane and again when they are taken off. There won't be a physical inspection of your bags (by a customs officer) unless they suspect that you are trying to bring something illegal into the country .

You will pre clear US Customs and Immigration in Dublin or Shannon. You just fill out a form declaring what you are bringing into the US. All meat and fruit and vegetable items are banned, so make sure that you don't have any of them in any of your bags, even in your hand luggage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

None..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The ESTA is all you need, when you go through Customs and Immigration, the officer will show you a picture of your bag - just to confirm it is yours.

You don't even need a print out of the ESTA, once it is approved (usually in seconds) it's linked to your passport in the US computer system.

It's all easy to do and quick, just make sure to use the correct site - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Great, Thanks very much everyone!

Advertisement