Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your favourite arcade machine?

• 18-08-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I loved Daytona USA. It was a golden age for arcades in the mid 90's with Sega and Namco knocking out some modern classics like Sega Rally, Time Cop, Virtua Fighter and towards the end of the decade Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur etc. Great times.

But for me, nothing rivals Daytona USA. Seeing 8 of those machines linked together with a few friends and a bit of coinage in our pockets was a great Saturday afternoon for a bunch of young lads. Great memories!

What's your favourite?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

I loved golden Axe, amazing game! Always remember getting dragon to come down and flame the bad guys awesome. Ahh memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If were talking dedicated, then Time Crisis.

The pedal added so much to the gameplay. Standard on rail light gun games where you reloaded by shooting off screen felt a bit bland in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Streetfighter II

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I really liked Point Blank/Ridger Racer & Virtua Striker cabs :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The click noise of the recoil on the Time Crisis gun too.. cant beat it!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

keithgeo wrote: »
    The click noise of the recoil on the Time Crisis gun too.. cant beat it!

ACTION!

Clack clack clack!

I will have one some day...

Maybe down the road ill have a night in the house when i get the kitchen done up and some of you might be interested in coming down, its a bit of a trek down to athy though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Prop Cycle.

/end thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I lived in Australia in 2002~2003 and Daytona was everywhere, there was a shop/arcade beside an apartment I was staying at in St Kilda that had 4 of them with turbo mod linked, then I moved up to sydney and the the big arcade in the city had lines and lines of 8 player links, love that game, one day I'll have 2 of them!
    I never seen an Egret2 in an arcade but that's on my list too

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Tigger wrote: »
    Streetfighter II

I rarely ever saw Street Fighter 2 in the arcades. I saw more of the rubbish original. I'll always associate that with very fond console memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Gaelco World Rally Championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition, or a twin sit down Ridge Racer 2 probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

For me it has to be Metal Slug X, spent far too many of my childhood holidays spent in front of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The sit down Hard Drivin' cab always felt like a big experience:

harddrivb5.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The deluxe Outrun cab up at Dublin airport.
    And the three screen version of Virtua Racing, I think Mosney had it when it was still a holiday camp.
    Battlezone is another fave.

Master of the Universe

Actually another favourite of mine was Tokyo Wars. They had a 4 player set up in Star Amusements Bray years and years ago.

Was interesting to see they have TANK! TANK! TANK! in there now. Which looks to pretty much be Tokyo Wars with custom avatars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

The Sega rally wss great but the Sega F355 arcade machine was my favourite. It was so realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I loved playing Sega Rally and 18 Wheeler (if I remember correctly, they had the big 18 Wheeler truck cab in the arcade in The Square). To be fair, if it had a wheel and some pedals (or any other mode of transport) I enjoyed it.

I've always been a fan of the Time Crisis games, but the only TC arcade game I can recall playing is the Time Crisis 4 cab in the small arcade at the back of Cineworld on Parnell Street.

I may or may not have played House of the Dead too (it was either in an arcade or on my cousin's Dreamcast. Enjoyable all the same).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Never really spent that much time with dedicated machines but I remember Pitstop and Spy Hunter were a bit of fun. Favourite cab/game was easily Aliens though - down the back of Amusement City on D'Olier St. in town or The Pierro Club in Dun Laoghaire is where you would find me playing it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Prop Cycle.

/end thread.

Trying to remember where they used to have that.
    I want to say Stillorgan Bowl, but probably wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Star Wars *sigh* good times good times

star-wars-arcade.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

has to be OutRun for me. I was terrible at it but I just loved watching other play.
    I played double dragon to the ground though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

My local leisureplex used to have the simpsons arcade which I absolutely loved. Had the one of the high scores on it for a little while too. My favourite would be sega rally or Daytona though. Nothing like hearing DAYTOOONAAA being screamed at you as you walked past to entice you over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

Afterburner loved that game.
    Sega wing war on the r360 I only ever played this in London it was epic dont know if there was any over here.
    Virtua Fighter 2

Master of the Universe

columf wrote: »
    Sega wing war on the r360 I only ever played this in London it was epic dont know if there was any over here.
    Virtua Fighter 2

I saw one R360 over here before but was too afraid to go on it as a kid in case I died :( stupid!!!

columf wrote: »
    Virtua Fighter 2

There is an Afterburner in the arcade in Skerries at the beach, I was only playing it two weeks ago, along with Outrun, Operation Thunderbolt and few other cabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I remember playing The Simpsons arcade game with my bro when he brought me into town back in 91/92, I believe it was in the hideout at the time, upstairs!

They had one in Atari Expo in the square for sure,
    They also had a lost world pinball which might be the one I bought last week!
    Cant be too many of them in the country could there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Was interesting to see they have TANK! TANK! TANK! in there now. Which looks to pretty much be Tokyo Wars with custom avatars.

I'm glued to that yolk anytime I'm over that way. The Wii-U port was such a disappointment with the lack of online multiplayer; it kinda dies as experience in solo-mode.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

There's no online multiplayer with it? :eek:

Talk about missing the point :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Yep, that's where I played it anyway. Any time we went bowling I'd have to be dragged away from it to the lanes. Fantastic machine.

It is incredible in an age where fundamentally single-player games get the most atrocious online tacked-on from developers fearing irrelevance, yet something that could've not necessarily shifted Wii-Us, but been instrumental in the purchase decision, gets a bare-bones launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    There's no online multiplayer with it? :eek:

Talk about missing the point :(

Utter madness isn't it. I'm not really into online gaming at all, but if ever there was a good use for it, it's this. I haven't played it since learning it was local multiplayer only :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

6 player X-men anyone?
    xmenarcade.jpg

The Lost World was a cool machine, sound was amazing sitting inside it

118124212729.jpg

4 player Wrestlefest, one arcade at the seaside in Clare had it the others all had standard 2 player generic cabs with the game in

2798731_2_l.jpg

Turtles the Arcade Game, first played this in America as a kid, blew my mind being a giant TMNT fan at the time

1181242182141.jpg

Killer Instinct, many fond memories of playing that, booming sound, at the time amazing graphics, and coming to our homes in 1995 only on Nintendo Ultra 64!!!

118124212412.jpg

Man I miss proper arcades, are there any even in Ireland that don't purely have dancemat games and driving cabs? Any arcade I've been in during the last few years is all coin shovel machines, crane games and the odd shooting game. Years ago I spotted a working Double Dragon cab in some chip shop and asked if I could buy it but they said no :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No mention of Silent Scope? By far my fav of all time and will be the first cab I buy when I have the space.

• Advertisement

I seen that XMen cab for sale in the liquidators shop up in Tallaght beside smyths last year.

Ive gone to a few arcades in the last while and the best one ive seen for any sort of old school games is that one in Skerries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I think the first coin-op game I ever played was Double Dragon, back in 1987 or 1988.

My favourite would however be, out of sheer nostalgia, Tail To Nose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail_to_Nose)
    It was a simple stand up cabinet with the classic "round" joystick, but it was also the first time I saw a F1 game that vaguely resembled the real thing (as in cars colours, drivers etc.).

A couple of years later I was completely captured by this: http://www.mamedb.com/image/cabinet/f1en
    I may be wrong, but I think it was the very first "paddle shifter" cabinet.

And of course Street Fighter II CE.

Speaking of Star Amusements, I'd recommend anyone going through with company to give 'Let's Go Jungle' a bash. It's absolutely mad and doesn't really have that 'ease-in' like a lot of arcade lightguns; straight-in and mental. It also gives a compatibility rating at the end for anyone that's played with a partner. The Mrs. and I got 69% which, yanno, wasn't remotely remarked upon at all, whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thargor wrote: »
    No mention of Silent Scope? By far my fav of all time and will be the first cab I buy when I have the space.

An amazing game alright, some excellent ports to the Xbox and PS2 as well.
    And a great version is on the GBA surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Time Crisis 2 and Silent Scope were my favourites growing up.... Been looking at buying some arcade machines for my new home but they are all so bloody expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

timmy880 wrote: »
    Time Crisis 2 and Silent Scope were my favourites growing up.... Been looking at buying some arcade machines for my new home but they are all so bloody expensive!

Mouse trap played in the local chipper.also outrun deluxe, have to finish restoring it...

Watch adverts in a couple of weeks I will be getting ride of some of my cabs, have 2 silent scopes ss2 and the EX version

Mouse trap played in the local chipper.also outrun deluxe, have to finish restoring it...

Watch adverts in a couple of weeks I will be getting ride of some of my cabs, have 2 silent scopes ss2 and the EX version

Cheers I'll keep an eye out... Saw somebody trying to sell one for €1800 there this week that he had up for €700 before apparently?? It was a bit fishy

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

krudler wrote: »

4 player Wrestlefest, one arcade at the seaside in Clare had it the others all had standard 2 player generic cabs with the game in

2798731_2_l.jpg

I remember being 10 years old on holiday in Cyprus and playing this A LOT. I would always pick Earthquake as I assumed because he was bigger he'd be harder to eliminate. Sounds logical right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

San Fransisco Rush.

The last great arcade driving game.

(I worked on it at atari back in the 90's)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

Sega Rally Championship, the entire seat was inside a mock car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Great thread.

To name but a few...

After Burner cockpit (Bloody loved that thing. The blue felt on the seats made it feel like a real luxury machine!! Remember playing it in a few places, leisureland Galway had it I think. Come to think of it they had a pretty serious arcade at one stage right? Wasn't the main hall full of games!?)

Spyhunter Upright (In the local chippie...That cool steering wheel, felt like I was driving Kitt!)

Chase HQ Porsche 911 Sit in (The one that looks like a kids toy. Its looks ridiculous when you see pictures of it now but at the time I thought it was the greatest thing ever when I played it on holidays. Never saw it again after that.)

So many more but I'll leave it at that for now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Some of my favourites have already been mentioned like StarWars, Time Crisis, Silent Scope, Metal Slug, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. To add to that for myself:

New Zealand Story, Bubble Bobble 2 (aka Bust-a-move), ESWAT, Aliens, and Hammerin' Harry.

Sega Rally Championship, the entire seat was inside a mock car.

Superb shout... Completely forgot about that one. The drift on the tracks in that game was an unreal gaming experience!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Kick and Run / Mexico 86, the 4 player with the foot pedal

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Bombjack

• Advertisement
Advertisement