Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions about getting into medicine?

Options
  • 18-08-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm 17 going into 5th year after TY and I want to study medicine, the subjects I'm doing are English, Irish, French, Biology, geography , Business at higher and Maths at lower.
    I'm aiming for the 6 year alternative because all doe I enjoy chemistry I don't think an A1 is feasible.
    Also I am doing maths at lower because I am focusing on my strengths, I'm ok at maths but not A1 standard , the time out into getting a decent grade in would greatly take away from my other subjects and it's not worth it in my eyes.

My questions are: What is the minimum requirment? It says 480 but from what I've heard nobody gets in with that amount.
    And what is an average score on the Hpat?
    How do I study for the Hpat and when should I start?

My goal is to study at the royal college of surgeons in the near future and if I don't get in I'll simply repeat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Hi Seanf999, 550 is generally considered to be a good number to aim towards. Any points above 550 will be counted as 2 points for every 10 points, meaning that someone who achieves 625 will obtain 565 points when counting them towards medicine. To get into medicine, you will need about 170-180 in the HPAT, but if you achieve a high amount of LC points you could get in with 165. (HPAT is marked out of 300). And of course, it's possible to get into medicine on about 530 points but you would need to be in above the 95th percentile or so with your HPAT score. (About 220). HPAT is all about practice. Get your hands on some past/sample papers and do them once a week. I would recommend doing a course too. I wouldn't worry about the HPAT until 6th year, concentrate on your subjects for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Seanf999 wrote: »
    I'm 17 going into 5th year after TY and I want to study medicine, the subjects I'm doing are English, Irish, French, Biology, geography , Business at higher and Maths at lower.
    I'm aiming for the 6 year alternative because all doe I enjoy chemistry I don't think an A1 is feasible.

snip

My goal is to study at the royal college of surgeons in the near future and if I don't get in I'll simply repeat.

You have ruled out the 5 year alternatives - TCD and UCC require 2 sciences at LC. And the 5 year options in Galway, UCD and RCSI would require at least 2 sciences (and possibly 3).

However Chemistry is useful to have, as some who didn't have is struggled a little with it.

Advertisement