Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring.. Pros & Cons?

Options
  • 18-08-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

So after checking the CAO this morning I found I've been offered a place in arts in Nuig. To be honest I never really thought I would get the place and now the sudden idea of moving off to Galway is making **** bricks. I also haven't been saving money at all and i don't like the idea of depending on my parents financially if i'm off living in Galway for a year.

Does anyone have any personal experience with deferring? As i'm not sure if it is a good idea or not.. Any advice is appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

Hi :)

I deferred my course last year and the year out was ok but i dont think id advise someone to do it but thats just my opinion. If you're going to defer you really need to find something to do for the year as it is long and can get boring. Personally I found it insanely difficult to get a job all year, I got occasional work as a waitress but i'd advise getting either a full time or part time job or if you have no experience to volunteer places until someone hires you. Or the other route is to do a PLC for the year as when you've not much to do you can get extremely lazy. Deferring for a year can mature you a lot as sometimes coming straight out of school you can be a bit immature. That was my experience of it anyway not sure if this helps or not :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PsychoSull

Hi :)

I deferred my course last year and the year out was ok but i dont think id advise someone to do it but thats just my opinion. If you're going to defer you really need to find something to do for the year as it is long and can get boring. Personally I found it insanely difficult to get a job all year, I got occasional work as a waitress but i'd advise getting either a full time or part time job or if you have no experience to volunteer places until someone hires you. Or the other route is to do a PLC for the year as when you've not much to do you can get extremely lazy. Deferring for a year can mature you a lot as sometimes coming straight out of school you can be a bit immature. That was my experience of it anyway not sure if this helps or not :P

I have a job sorted so there is no problem there. I have considered doing a PLC but i'm not sure if it will be a waste of time at this stage :) The main problem may be boredom but that sounds much more appealing at the moment then going to collage.. Did you find it hard to get back in to studying after a year off ? Did you find that you became lazy or was it easy to get back into a routine of school/college work?

Thanks for the reply !! :)

PsychoSull wrote: »
    I have a job sorted so there is no problem there. I have considered doing a PLC but i'm not sure if it will be a waste of time at this stage :) The main problem may be boredom but that sounds much more appealing at the moment then going to collage.. Did you find it hard to get back in to studying after a year off ? Did you find that you became lazy or was it easy to get back into a routine of school/college work?

Thanks for the reply !! :)

Well if you've a job you wont really get lazy as you'll have something to do and the motivation to earn money. :) Well im only starting my course in two weeks so I'm not sure yet if it'll be hard to get back into studying and doing college work but I have a feeling it might be as when you've a year off I didnt really have a routine and I feel like ive lost some motivation and got a bit lazy. If you've a job im sure you'll be fine with getting back into college work/study next year but If you found that even when you were doing your leaving cert that you didnt have motivation to study then i dont think it would be the best idea but its down to how you think you'll spend your time for the year out, i'd advise not to waste the year like if you're taking the year out try your best to do something productive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anna226

can someone please tell me how exactly you defer a course you've been offered?

Anna226 wrote: »
    can someone please tell me how exactly you defer a course you've been offered?

It tells you how to defer in the CAO handbook and it also tells you how to defer on the CAO website. When I was deferring I had to email the college and then they told me to fill out a form and post it to them. You should also contact the college either ring them or email them and ask them how to do it because different colleges do it different ways. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement