Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming ChitChat Ploughs On To Five

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Damo810 wrote: »
    No, what I mean is, have no theme at all, as long as the pictures are farming related.

Having a theme every month restricts the amount of pictures your going to get. It might mean some great pictures (Often the ones that are 'off the cuff') won't be able to be entered.

Great idea though.

Theme is there to offer a different style each month. Otherwise it would be similar photos month after month. Having one means that photos will be seasonal each time.
    You have a point that some will not be suited to a theme but sooner or later they'll fit in. Best farming pic with caption for example. That would cover a broad spec of photos and yet still continue an ongoing farming theme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Alright farming troupe, remember a photo competition was mentioned/bandied about a while back?

It will start in September, different theme each month. Photos shall be judged by 'likes' and you may enter as many as you wish. And if it's really really good, you may just get a prize.

For now, I need themes for September, in the interest of fairness send them to me via pm and if none stand out to the mods, we will input them into a random generator to choose one.
    So fire away!

How about harvest theme as it's that time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Reggie. wrote: »
    How about harvest theme as it's that time of year

Any of your mates amongst the 130 heading for Syria next month? That could be a tough deployment.

Any of your mates amongst the 130 heading for Syria next month? That could be a tough deployment.

Yeah I know a few. Interesting that American journalist that was released by Isis last week was given over to the irish Un on the golan heights

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Just noticed the Livestock/general farming thread is nearing 10,000 posts too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Yeah I know a few.

Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Best of luck to them.

No one knows this but they take fire on regular occasions

Jaysus the miserable farmers thread is still going

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

Had to unfollow it, was driving me insane...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

No one knows this but they take fire on regular occasions

Are they allowed to fire back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

Sad day here
    Just found the old dog he went down to the yard to die.
    We have had him since he was a pup 14 and half yrs ago.
    Got him for the missus before we got married

Kids very upset.

Had to unfollow it, was driving me insane...

Same as that just it popped up on the front page on boards again

naughto wrote: »
    Are they allowed to fire back?

They can and have

dzer2 wrote: »
    Sad day here

Kids very upset.
    Oh that would kill me

Sad day here

Kids very upset.

Ah no :( Sorry to hear that dzer. Give him a good send off.

Ah no :( Sorry to hear that dzer. Give him a good send off.

Find a little plot for him

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

Same as that just it popped up on the front page on boards again

Gone a bit too far now, I think...

Gone a bit too far now, I think...

Ah its just turned into a trolling session I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

rushvalley wrote: »

You can still get the older stlyed ones brand new in oz, mainly sold as utes over there, they look awesome, especially with the aluminium flat body, big ass bull bar up front, snorkel etc....

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Zr105 wrote: »
    You can still get the older stlyed ones brand new in oz, mainly sold as utes over there, they look awesome, especially with the aluminium flat body, big ass bull bar up front, snorkel etc....

Drove one in England. Great craic but lively behind and an animal on juice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Just got a positive result for lepto. Missed 1 vaccination lasy year.
    Great form altogether this evening.
    Anyone got a price for Leptavoid H?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Drove one in England. Great craic but lively behind and an animal on juice

Aye they wouldn't be to worried about the v8's being thirsty over in oz to be fair :D:D always thought it was hilarious when it rained, lights would go green and most lads would just bury the pedal and smoke the tires off :D and sure ya wouldn't mind the back end being a bit lively would you? Sure thats half the fun!

Young Vets on BBC2 now, nutjobs of heifers being scanned.

I think whelan has you nominated........

• Advertisement

I think whelan has you nominated........

I have gone temporarily deaf and selectively blind......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I don't blame them, poor heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Sad day here

Kids very upset.

Sorry to hear about your dog, dzer. I would rather lose a cow than the dog here.

Last dog here got sick and brought him to local vet that has does a 'small animal practice' along with the normal stuff as my own vet only deals with the bigger animals. Waited our turn and a german vet was on duty. Asked my name, dogs name, age, symptons etc. Said thought dog had very bad kidney infection and she would take blood sample to test and confirm and suggested leaving dog for a few hours until she got results and she would ring me with same.
    Phone rings a few hours later and sure enough it's the vet.
    "Hello is that (dogs name)? I afraid I have some bad news for you but (my name) is not very
    well. I think the best thing to do with him is to put him down"
    Hard to know what to say to that:confused:

I have gone temporarily deaf and selectively blind......:D

Ah typical female answer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Zr105 wrote: »

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Yea a lot of the nz real hill farmers tend to go for them, not cheap in the slightest and there all v8's but there built like a brick **** house and are virtually indestructible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have to watch this... thinks his Skoda is a TARDIS :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

TITANIUM. wrote: »

I think it's about E55-60 for the 50ml bottle that does 25 cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Just got a positive result for lepto. Missed 1 vaccination lasy year.
    Great form altogether this evening.
    spirovac is cheaper.... how do you mean you missed 1 vaccination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

rushvalley wrote: »

There still getting them new in Tara mines in Navan, had a tour of the mine in one and it was fairly new Some experience, the mines and the jeep

rangler1 wrote: »
    There still getting them new in Tara mines in Navan, had a tour of the mine in one and it was fairly new Some experience, the mines and the jeep

Its mad to think the mines are as big as they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Sorry to hear about your dog, dzer. I would rather lose a cow than the dog here.

Last dog here got sick and brought him to local vet that has does a 'small animal practice' along with the normal stuff as my own vet only deals with the bigger animals. Waited our turn and a german vet was on duty. Asked my name, dogs name, age, symptons etc. Said thought dog had very bad kidney infection and she would take blood sample to test and confirm and suggested leaving dog for a few hours until she got results and she would ring me with same.
    Phone rings a few hours later and sure enough it's the vet.
    "Hello is that (dogs name)? I afraid I have some bad news for you but (my name) is not very
    well. I think the best thing to do with him is to put him down"
    Hard to know what to say to that:confused:
    Mmm your story reminds me of a practice not a million miles from here.

Dad has secured a breeding pair of partridge which he will keep over the winter before release in the hope of wild breeding again.

Anyone done this before? Any tips?
    We have quite a bit of lowland bog in the general area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Dad has secured a breeding pair of partridge which he will keep over the winter before release in the hope of wild breeding again.

I've a friend that was involved nationally in several such projects, I'll chat him soon and fill ya in.

I've a friend that was involved nationally in several such projects, I'll chat him soon and fill ya in.

Please do! I was wondering if they need to have a couple of different pairs released with them/the year after for breeding purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Unfortunately their not likely to thrive in wet/damp conditions like bogs.

Partridge prefer drier soils with plenty of tillage and a variety of cover crops with wildflower strips which provide chicks with insect food in the spring. Your farm sounds good though for the likes of Curlew,Snipe or even Grouse

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Unfortunately their not likely to thrive in wet/damp conditions like bogs.

Partridge prefer drier soils with plenty of tillage and a variety of cover crops with wildflower strips which provide chicks with insect food in the spring. Your farm sounds good though for the likes of Curlew,Snipe or even Grouse

There used to be partridge here though. To put it into context, we lie on a hill,m quite dry shaley land, reps/aeos, lots of hedges and cover. Trees were planted in wildflower meadow for REPS which we will not be doing anythng with. No tillage though but only one cut in meadows per year.
    Wildflower strips......do buttercups count?:p
    At the bottom of the hill on either side is flat grassland, then bog. Curlews (skygoats yea?) and snipe are common too.

Land is all preserved for a couple km around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Red or Grey legged.
    From what I understand and stand corrected - Grey legged are native (although not genetically/ingenious stock) whereas Red legged are French.
    There is a Grey legged reintroduction programme near me in North County Dublin.
    I can find out more info if you want.

There used to be partridge here though. To put it into context, we lie on a hill,m quite dry shaley land, reps/aeos, lots of hedges and cover. Trees were planted in wildflower meadow for REPS which we will not be doing anythng with. No tillage though but only one cut in meadows per year.
    At the bottom of the hill on either side is flat grassland, then bog. Curlews (skygoats yea?) and snipe are common too.

A number of birds including the Yellowhammer, Partridge etc. have become extinct or absent from the West of Ireland due to the loss of small scale tillage in these areas. I'm sure there was Partridges in your area in the past, but the loss of tillage/stubble fields means it will be very hard to re-establish these birds in your area. All the re-introduction projects to date have provided extensive tillage feeding areas for the birds. The Boora Project in Co. Offaly being the prime example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When I was a kid I remember dad showing them to me here and we live in a similar area to what your describing Kovu, haven't seen them in maybe 30 years !

Grey legged, I stand corrected, we are getting two breeding pairs!

My dad remembers them wild here before more modern practices came into play.

Edit- I see you got there before me _Brian!

Jaysus it's dark out there. These mornings are fecked

Right, getting info out of dad is worse than a stone. We hae use of four fields below our hill, two were used as wildmeadow/hayland in reps and left as such.
    Anyone remember the pic of me looking for a horse?

Waaaaay in there, so no real chance of shooters.
    (Plus I'd bate the head off anyone who tried)

Right, getting info out of dad is worse than a stone. We hae use of four fields below our hill, two were used as wildmeadow/hayland in reps and left as such.
    Anyone remember the pic of me looking for a horse?

)

There is meant to be a Grey Partridge/bird cover top up option under the new GLAS scheme. Might suit your plans. It will involve the provision of some cover crops for the partridges. As you are in the West the best cover crop option for the birds would be some sort of an oat/cabbage/kale combo.

I was already planning a field of kale for outwintering so that would suit. Now I just have to stop eating the blasted thing myself....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Grey legged, I stand corrected, we are getting two breeding pairs!

My dad remembers them wild here before more modern practices came into play.

Edit- I see you got there before me _Brian!

Greys are a beautiful bird and I have successfully released them in the past. Local shooters were my vermin problem!
    Anyhow you absolutely have to get partridge caller. These can be bought on line in any of the shooting outfitters.

The call is a must as the greys will just up and leave. You can set the call for dawn and dusk and the odd time during the day. That'll keep them in place.

Broods can be huge and a delight to watch. However once the first week of January comes they will pair off and go - they can move up to 30km from home!

Boora bog is a perfect example of a money pit and "jobs for the boys". The experts there will tell you that captive bred birds won't breed in the wild. Poppycock. I have bred them successfully in the wild with some work and the wild bred hens make better mums, so as you proceed the brood sizes increases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement