Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming ChitChat Ploughs On To Five

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I said wrote: »
    I have six separate speed van locations to pass on me way to work.The journey time is getting longer every day.

I have a load of them too. Gonna get caught someday I know well. It's the garda ones too that aren't really marked aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

liam7831 wrote: »
    Whelan what do you use to disinfect the house?
    interkokask disenfectant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Reggie. wrote: »
    I have a load of them too. Gonna get caught someday I know well. It's the garda ones too that aren't really marked aswell

the one that did me was in blessington, late at night pulled into a car parking spot the cheeky hoor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

ganmo wrote: »
    the one that did me was in blessington, late at night pulled into a car parking spot the cheeky hoor.

I was tipping her on one day and went through one, so I stopped and went back to him to see did he get me. He told me you have to be very close to the van and that if you hit the brakes when ya cop the van you've a good chance of making it.

I've managed to do that once, on the n11 comin back up tippin along a 120k stretch speed van parked 5ft away from the 100k sign

Ever see truckers pull up for their break right behind one :)

I was tipping her on one day and went through one, so I stopped and went back to him to see did he get me. He told me you have to be very close to the van and that if you hit the brakes when ya cop the van you've a good chance of making it.

I'd say he thought you were gonna throttle him :D

Was about 150 to 200 metres from the van last night when I slowed down so should be grand.

Was doing no more than 58km in a 50km. Bloody easy to slip over the limit on the outskirts of a town.

I'd hate to get caught doing something like 53km where you were only 3 over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'd say he thought you were gonna throttle him :D

Was about 150 to 200 metres from the van last night when I slowed down so should be grand.

Was doing no more than 58km in a 50km. Bloody easy to slip over the limit on the outskirts of a town.

I'd hate to get caught doing something like 53km where you were only 3 over

Oddly enough, he went on to tell me that it was his van and him in it that was set alight, I think somewhere in Louth. He did say he was nervous when anybody approaches him after.
    According to him, you have to be nearly on top of the van to get stung. He wouldn't put a figure on it cos he said different operators would set them up differently, but he got out and showed me where he was. It was 15 or so yards each way.
    So hit the brakes was his advice.

And if it all goes wrong ye can blame some gob****e on the Internet :-)

Oddly enough, he went on to tell me that it was his van and him in it that was set alight, I think somewhere in Louth. He did say he was nervous when anybody approaches him after.
    According to him, you have to be nearly on top of the van to get stung. He wouldn't put a figure on it cos he said different operators would set them up differently, but he got out and showed me where he was. It was 15 or so yards each way.
    So hit the brakes was his advice.

And if it all goes wrong ye can blame some gob****e on the Internet :-)

Jaysus that seems very very close. How do people not see them before that.

I thought they would get ya from around 100m or so

There's one spot jus outside ferns where he parks in a field gate and he has a hole cut in the hedge so the camera has a view of the road. Ya won't spot it if you're not switched on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There is a famous spot on the road to Longford, where they pull into a gateway just beside the 50 KM sign. Got me last year. Saw the van from 200 m away, but looked at the speedo and was just under the 60 mph. No prob, so didn't brake. Of course got the fine in the post the next week. Main road between 2 county towns, wide and straight, 25 kilometres since the last speed sign, 50mph limit, FFS.
    So went to court to argue my case. Was only one of 15 or so present on the same mission. Got fine doubled, and points doubled.
    If 50% paid up when they got the sign, that van probably brought in about €3000 in a morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

there are a couple of of days per year when the excrement hits the x plair fan on this farm ,

to day is one of these days :eek:

back to the war zone sheep sheds

ganmo wrote: »
    There's one spot jus outside ferns where he parks in a field gate and he has a hole cut in the hedge so the camera has a view of the road. Ya won't spot it if you're not switched on

I'd be throwing nails or something into that gap

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    There is a famous spot on the road to Longford, where they pull into a gateway just beside the 50 KM sign. Got me last year. Saw the van from 200 m away, but looked at the speedo and was just under the 60 mph. No prob, so didn't brake. Of course got the fine in the post the next week. Main road between 2 county towns, wide and straight, 25 kilometres since the last speed sign, 50mph limit, FFS.
    So went to court to argue my case. Was only one of 15 or so present on the same mission. Got fine doubled, and points doubled.
    If 50% paid up when they got the sign, that van probably brought in about €3000 in a morning.
    That's what puts the fear into me about going to court to argue is the fine getting doubled. Wonder how many people that had an lawful argument didn't fight in fear of that penalty

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

greysides wrote: »
    Have you witnessed Hal-Al slaughter?
    I have and am not impressed. Prefer cattle to be "brain dead" before blooding.

Having a lovely cold pint of Heineken

whelan2 wrote: »
    :D I having a nice glass of red wine with my 8oz steak, mushrooms, chips and salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Fantastic days work here, dehorning done fixed fences and said fcuk it, opened the shead door and let out anything that calved.

No matter what stress and pressure your under there is sumthing about letting cattle out on a nice day and watching calves first burst of freedom that no pill from the doc can do.

But best of all to put a little smile on your face is to see a calf get it's first wrap of the fencer on the tip of its nose!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

That's what puts the fear into me about going to court to argue is the fine getting doubled. Wonder how many people that had an lawful argument didn't fight in fear of that penalty

Happened to me a couple of years ago. Got done for speeding but never got notice in post. Cops arrive out one day with a summons for court. I thought it would be just a case of explaining it to judge . Unfortunately about 100 other people had the same rxcuse and I got 4 pen points and 200 fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:

will be having a few tomorrow after christening!!

Base price wrote: »
    :D I having a nice glass of red wine with my 8oz steak, mushrooms, chips and salad.

gasping here , but on stand by taxi duty :(:(

Fantastic days work here, dehorning done fixed fences and said fcuk it, opened the shead door and let out anything that calved.

No matter what stress and pressure your under there is sumthing about letting cattle out on a nice day and watching calves first burst of freedom that no pill from the doc can do.

But best of all to put a little smile on your face is to see a calf get it's first wrap of the fencer on the tip of its nose!

cracking day here , a big chage in a few days

orm0nd wrote: »
    gasping here , but on stand by taxi duty :(:(
    that was me last night, have a lie on til 6.45 in the morning also:rolleyes:

I searched up and down and couldn't find the old box of BTE tags :(
    I ordered two sets yesterday from Mullinahone so they should arrive early next week.
    Now all I need to do is sort out the BVD testing end of it.
    How do I go about it, pay for it, how much etc.
    Any recommendations on which company to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Base price wrote:
    I searched up and down and couldn't find the old box of BTE tags  I ordered two sets yesterday from Mullinahone so they should arrive early next week. Now all I need to do is sort out the BVD testing end of it. How do I go about it, pay for it, how much etc. Any recommendations on which company to use?

I use Enfer and couldn't fault them , if you ring them you can pay with the card and give them your number to text on the results . The girl in the office is pretty helpful aswell .

Did mullinahone tell you the you'll have the new tags next week ? That would be a quick turnaround for them , I was a good few weeks waiting for the last tags we got . Replacement tags seem to be done lively alright

Bullocks wrote: »
    I use Enfer and couldn't fault them , if you ring them you can pay with the card and give them your number to text on the results . The girl in the office is pretty helpful aswell .

Did mullinahone tell you the you'll have the new tags next week ? That would be a quick turnaround for them , I was a good few weeks waiting for the last tags we got . Replacement tags seem to be done lively alright
    did i read on here that the new tags come from france? took a full 3 weeks for the full herd order here last year. Replacement tags come fairly quickly in fairness and i cant fault their website

I told the girl that this was the first calf to be registered in the herd since 2007 and she confirmed it. She said that we needed a different tagger from the one that we used to use but suggested that we could borrow one from a neighbour considering that we only had the one calf to tag, which was nice of her. She didn't try selling me a new one.
    In fairness she did not say that we would receive them next week. I presumed that we would as we normally get replacement tags a few days after ordering them.
    How long are you allowed before sending in the BVD sample. The calf was born last Saturday night.
    Also how much is the BVD test including p&p. Will probably go with Enfer.

whelan2 wrote:
    did i read on here that the new tags come from france? took a full 3 weeks for the full herd order here last year. Replacement tags come fairly quickly in fairness and i cant fault their website

I don't know where they come from but they could smarten up their quality control the teapots. I'm sick of replacing tags , would it be unreasonable to expect a free tag and a tenner for the labour of putting it in when they just fall out ? Fair enough if it tears out of the ear but what's wrong when they just break ?
    I would nearly join the IFA for the sole purpose of pushing that issue !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Even better is seeing a cow get it.
    Had one dopey egit go sniffing the spring yesterday some bawl off her

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    I told the girl that this was the first calf to be registered in the herd since 2007 and she confirmed it. She said that we needed a different tagger from the one that we used to use but suggested that we could borrow one from a neighbour considering that we only had the one calf to tag, which was nice of her. She didn't try selling me a new one.
    In fairness she did not say that we would receive them next week. I presumed that we would as we normally get replacement tags a few days after ordering them.
    How long are you allowed before sending in the BVD sample. The calf was born last Saturday night.
    Also how much is the BVD test including p&p. Will probably go with Enfer.
    dont think there is any time frame on the bvd test. around 3.80 for the bvd test

Base price wrote:
    I told the girl that this was the first calf to be registered in the herd since 2007 and she confirmed it. She said that we needed a different tagger from the one that we used to use but suggested that we could borrow one from a neighbour considering that we only had the one calf to tag, which was nice of her. She didn't try selling me a new one. In fairness she did not say that we would receive them next week. I presumed that we would as we normally get replacement tags a few days after ordering them. How long are you allowed before sending in the BVD sample. The calf was born last Saturday night. Also how much is the BVD test including p&p. Will probably go with Enfer.

I'm not sure on the cost , I think it's €2.45 or thereabouts. Again not sure on how quick you have to test but I think it's 21 days .
    I would be allowing 2/3 weeks for delivery of the new tags

man flu has hit this house today :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Probably having to do the fry up the last day took it out of him , he has my sympathy!

Probably having to do the fry up the last day took it out of him , he has my sympathy!
    strepsils, listerine, 2 baths 2 whiskies and he's gone to bed- thankfully, probably preparing himself for mothers day next week

strepsils, listerine, 2 baths 2 whiskies and he's gone to bed- thankfully, probably preparing himself for mothers day next week

Given the circumstances I'd cancel it this year , it's more pressure than anyone needs when dealing with an illness like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

DIAL 999. Now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

And you out drinking Heineken !

mayota wrote: »
    And you out drinking Heineken !
    home now

home now

Hope you're not too late...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 CowMeister

I don't know where they come from but they could smarten up their quality control the teapots. I'm sick of replacing tags , would it be unreasonable to expect a free tag and a tenner for the labour of putting it in when they just fall out ? Fair enough if it tears out of the ear but what's wrong when they just break ?
    I would nearly join the IFA for the sole purpose of pushing that issue !

Complain to them and say the bvd tags keep falling out and they normally replace them free of charge. Only works on the bvd tags I think. But it's something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

home now

An where where u until now ???the poor man dieing ya want to go up and give him a rub I bet that will get rid of the man flu

naughto wrote: »
    An where where u until now ???the poor man dieing ya want to go up and give him a rub I bet that will get rid of the man flu
    when i came home- after 3 whole pints- i had to strig a cow with mastitis- so just tending to his needs now

My thoughts are with you having to deal with this tribulation over the next few days :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Actifed.

when i came home- after 3 whole pints- i had to strig a cow with mastitis- so just tending to his needs now

Pure careless....

My heart goes out to the poor man...

FFS...bad management.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Pure careless....

My heart goes out to the poor man...

FFS...bad management.
    i am so bold , he has just come down in his pyjamas and dressing gown and hat for a lemsip

i am so bold , he has just come down in his pyjamas and dressing gown and hat for a lemsip
    Is Lemsip your pet name :eek:

CowMeister wrote: »
    Complain to them and say the bvd tags keep falling out and they normally replace them free of charge. Only works on the bvd tags I think. But it's something

I have done and got a few free but it's the pain in the hoop having to tag them a second time . It's a real bugbear of mine .

• Advertisement

Jeezuz. Crisis management...NOW!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement