Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming ChitChat Ploughs On To Five

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sound, never seen it before.

A sickener alright. I'm a bit ocd about seeing them dung now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Did any of ye over come across a newborn calf that can't dung lads. Had one born 2 nights ago and tubed 2 litres into him straight away and another 2 litres at 1 o clock yesterday. Was going to feed him lastnight and he was like a ballon so I left him and brought him to the vet this morning. She handled him and said that he hadn't passed his first dung yet and tubed liquid parrifin and a concoction of other stuff into him but reckoned there is a problem that there's some part of the lower intestine not fully devoleped and that more than likely he won't do. A bit sickened because it's the first calf this year aswell!

Ya happened me a few years back. Bought in calf ch cow that through a smashing looking ch bull calf. After a day or two I reckoned something was up as had been stomach feeding him and all as he was lazy but not passing anything. Got the vet out and he said the lower part of the intestine wasn't fully developed and he would recommend to put him down. I said I'd chance him another day. Went out the next morning and he was dead, and had thrown up all the milk I had fed him. Poor lad died a painfull death I reckon, he had moved half way across the shed and he didn't walk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Im doing an ag course in WIT and reading into GM foods.. i was wondering does anyone know anything about rBGH the hormone used on dairy cows and their effects.. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Ya happened me a few years back. Bought in calf ch cow that through a smashing looking ch bull calf. After a day or two I reckoned something was up as had been stomach feeding him and all as he was lazy but not passing anything. Got the vet out and he said the lower part of the intestine wasn't fully developed and he would recommend to put him down. I said I'd chance him another day. Went out the next morning and he was dead, and had thrown up all the milk I had fed him. Poor lad died a painfull death I reckon, he had moved half way across the shed and he didn't walk it.

Ah well, Tis outside my control anyway. Pure balls all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Did any of ye over come across a newborn calf that can't dung lads. Had one born 2 nights ago and tubed 2 litres into him straight away and another 2 litres at 1 o clock yesterday. Was going to feed him lastnight and he was like a ballon so I left him and brought him to the vet this morning. She handled him and said that he hadn't passed his first dung yet and tubed liquid parrifin and a concoction of other stuff into him but reckoned there is a problem that there's some part of the lower intestine not fully devoleped and that more than likely he won't do. A bit sickened because it's the first calf this year aswell!

Had one last year, same story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

KatyMac wrote: »
    When you catch them wrap them up in an old towel with just their heads showing. They can't get to you then and have no option but to take the medicine

Giving the tablet is the easy part.

I want to see the fekker running around catching them so I can give the tablet then:-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I feel for you. I've delayed going into the dairy assurance scheme because I can't find any way to catch and dose 10 feral cats down on the farm.

In-feed medication?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Had one last year, same story.

Google 'Atresia coli'.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

20 cc of liquid paraffin should get him going. Had one last year with the same problem. Unless tis something seriously wrong. Hopefully twill do the job. You've done all you can do at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

3.40 am And I'll be lucky to get 2 hours before I go to work .. Don't know why we do it .. But calved a white char heifer I bred myself and she had a grand yellow bull.from my own limo bull I had . That's the glory of a char heifer you into the golden lads straight off of the bat!

Had to jack him though she was all night calving and I got a bit worried and figured he'd be better off out!

She stayed down for a bit after calving and I slide him round and he emptied 2 tits within 5 mins off being in this world .. handy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Kovu wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's a stew......

Only stupid if it doesn't work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

same as the lads had a charolais heifer last year swelling up with all the feeding in desperate pain brought to the vet put her down i was sorry after i waited 5days to put her down i felt abit cruel for waiting so long, if the plumbing is not there then its never going to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Bodacious wrote: »
    ...She stayed down for a bit after calving and I slide him round and he emptied 2 tits within 5 mins off being in this world .. handy !
    Handy alright, if you can get them to drink while cow is still down. I tried it myself last week but he just would not drink for me. As soon as cow is up, he latches on and drinks away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I hear through the grape vine that mchale are going to develop their own range of tedders rakes and mowers. Be some lineup they'll have then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Reggie. wrote: »
    I hear through the grape vine that mchale are going to develop their own range of tedders rakes and mowers. Be some lineup they'll have then

More jobs for the West.
    (of Poland)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The two sets of tags arrived from Mullinahone this morning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Base price wrote: »
    The two sets of tags arrived from Mullinahone this morning :)

They must like you ! Happy tagging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Handy alright, if you can get them to drink while cow is still down. I tried it myself last week but he just would not drink for me. As soon as cow is up, he latches on and drinks away.

I was just cheating to get my bed ... I put them both standing before I left though !

Had a quick look at him this morning And he had dried out a lovely hairy yellow lad Lm X CH .... Might put CH X on card! . Heifer has lovely udder for 75% white CH ... I'm delighted with her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

limo_100 wrote: »
    same as the lads had a charolais heifer last year swelling up with all the feeding in desperate pain brought to the vet put her down i was sorry after i waited 5days to put her down i felt abit cruel for waiting so long, if the plumbing is not there then its never going to be

Ya my lad is fairly f*cked this evening. If he's still alive in the morning I'll bring him to the vets to be put down. Should probably have done it the first trip but vet wasn't 100% sure that was the cause of it. Not nice to look at him suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Ya my lad is fairly f*cked this evening. If he's still alive in the morning I'll bring him to the vets to be put down. Should probably have done it the first trip but vet wasn't 100% sure that was the cause of it. Not nice to look at him suffering.

Had one myself a few weeks ago. Auld lad only ever had one other. Vet 'fished' him to borrow an electrical phrase and found that he was blocked about four inches back. Goodnight Irene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Would ya not end his misery tonight no point in the poor bastard suffering if the result is still the same tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Had one this year, vet said he sees a few every year. Drank his first feed had to tube the second one and then he looked full when I went to give him the third. Vet was saying when its only mucus in back passage and no dung most likely intestine wasn't developed fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The children of the small farmer inherited the earth, from the Indo...

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-mcwilliams/the-children-of-the-small-farmer-inherited-the-earth-31057287.html

I can't say i disagree with any of it, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-mcwilliams/the-children-of-the-small-farmer-inherited-the-earth-31057287.html

Good read

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

+1

smart feckers, a lot of them round here don't even farm it themselves, just have it set. Landlords again after 3 generations:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Can't remember, was it a 2p coin that you could put on the end of a 1/2" Heavy Gauge fitting to cap it. Think a €2 coin can work too, but if pressure too strong the centre can pop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Farrell wrote: »
    Can't remember, was it a 2p coin that you could put on the end of a 1/2" Heavy Gauge fitting to cap it. Think a €2 coin can work too, but if pressure too strong the centre can pop

That's serious inflation
    Though I have used a 50cent piece and it worked...... yea...a mean cavan bas***d.

Yep, 2p coin. Have a handful in a jar for that purpose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Was thinking you would alright.:p

Thanks it's being (probably 20) years since I've had to stop supply, generally it's replacing olives to maintain supply.:(

Daisy isn't that why Cavan land is so valuable, it's full of money (well on the water pipes);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I heard they were testing the mowers last summer :eek:

• Advertisement

I heard they were testing the mowers last summer :eek:

The brother in law won't be happy in the malone camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

The brother in law won't be happy in the malone camp

did you hear they were testing them last year?

did you hear they were testing them last year?

Nope but there's serious talk about it now. Might be plenty of tests this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Nope but there's serious talk about it now. Might be plenty of tests this year

In fairness to them if even five percent of lotto wins made a fraction of the contribution that one did there'd be a lot of areas of the country doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

so are sinn fein in trouble this time? They fairly got a tough land after the highs of their conference last weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Anyone listening to the lady on Joe Finnegan now? She sound like the epitome of the Social Welfare society. Giving out that her payment is cut because she refused to go to a course due to no transport being provided for her and she didn't want to pay €7 for a bus every day. (No kids, just her and her husband, who is also on the social!)

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    have them for aldi, handy way of making money, someone who doesnt have the 2 euro coin hands you 2 euro in change you give them the 2p and you are gone before they realise that its only 2p:)

whelan2 wrote: »
    have them for aldi, handy way of making money, someone who doesnt have the 2 euro coin hands you 2 euro in change you give them the 2p and you are gone before they realise that its only 2p:)

:eek: shame on you

You sure you don't hail from cavan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

Kovu wrote: »
    Anyone listening to the lady on Joe Finnegan now? She sound like the epitome of the Social Welfare society. Giving out that her payment is cut because she refused to go to a course due to no transport being provided for her and she didn't want to pay €7 for a bus every day. (No kids, just her and her husband, who is also on the social!)

Listening in to Joe Finnegan was your first mistake. I don't know where he gets the headcases sometimes for that show. It's a sad indictment for rural Ireland sometimes listening to that show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

anyone come across a dwarf calf, perfect body and head, legs far too short, so much so the head was coming out before the legs, had a job to get head in and the legs out first, the back legs are badly hooked in under the calf so it cant stand up

is the the bullet or has anyone any miracle cures

Suckler wrote: »
    Listening in to Joe Finnegan was your first mistake. I don't know where he gets the headcases sometimes for that show. It's a sad indictment for rural Ireland sometimes listening to that show.
    what station is he on?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CowMeister

anyone come across a dwarf calf, perfect body and head, legs far too short, so much so the head was coming out before the legs, had a job to get head in and the legs out first, the back legs are badly hooked in under the calf so it cant stand up

Had a dwarf calf 2 years ago. Same story as yours couldn't stand for a while but was perfectly healthy. Eventually her legs grew not fully mind but her back legs were a bit stiff. She looked weird now in fairness but she did really well. So much so I'm having her for dinner today.

CowMeister wrote: »
    Had a dwarf calf 2 years ago. Same story as yours couldn't stand for a while but was perfectly healthy. Eventually her legs grew not fully mind but her back legs were a bit stiff. She looked weird now in fairness but she did really well. So much so I'm having her for dinner today.

so stick with the little girl so
    , had to prop her on a bale of hay last night and latch her onto cow, she suckled fcuk all really, will try her again this evening

yea she would do for dinner so,

what station is he on?

Shannonside/Northern Sound.
    One of the most irritating stations & presenters in the known galaxy. Imagine every cliché and imbecile remark and catchphrase ever to come out of rural Ireland, and you're halfway there.
    In fact, imagine Richie Kavanagh after a blow to the head.
    I refuse to shop in places that have him on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Have a calf here at minute, back legs way too short and front ones bending way back in under him. Had an awful time trying to figure out which bit was which as he came backwards. Can't stand and probably won't, but he's so healthy otherwise you would feel sorry for him. He's trying his best to get on his feet.

• Advertisement

Have a calf here at minute, back legs way too short and front ones bending way back in under him. Had an awful time trying to figure out which bit was which as he came backwards. Can't stand and probably won't, but he's so healthy otherwise you would feel sorry for him. He's trying his best to get on his feet.

yea, will give girl a few days of TLC to see if she can get to standing and suckling, otherwise..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

what station is he on?

Northern Sound, more commonly known as Northern Shi#e.

Suckler wrote: »

Wasn't me that had it on! It's a religion in this house for the parents to listen to him so can hear him prattling away in the background.

@Charliebull, yea I had one blue dwarf off SFL, didn't stand for a few days and would only suck one front teat. Broke my heart teaching her how to suck, it took many many days of frustration. Stood her up every couple of hours at first and held her to allow the muscles to strengthen, had no square bales to hand at the time.

Was a delight watching the gimpy little thing wander under the electric fence into the meadow and eat all she wanted while the rest of the cattle watched her in disgust :D

Ok folks I know this is a how long is a piece of string question but.....

What weight would you think is a bale of silage. As in its heaviest possible weight within reason

800kg????

Fcuk load and a half. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement