Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming ChitChat Ploughs On To Five

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Used the welding shield here to look at it.
    did the job fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

10982610_10205555299378317_6587873378319557810_n.jpg?oh=a9ffb5840de6632988e1abb722eec9cf&oe=5573B676

Brother took this snap on his phone through the welding shield at work..

We got an excellent view here at work as the cloud just obscured it enough to watch it without the sun being too strong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Used the welding shield here to look at it.
    did the job fine

Good thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

whelan2 wrote: »
    who do we contact about the maintenance of the fence along the motorway?
    the correct way is ring local county council, they log your call and forward it to the contractor, the contractor around here is north link, they are out this morning fixing the fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

_Brian wrote: »
    ganmo wrote: »
    reads kinda childish

Indeed..
    I agree that the misinformed promotion of bottle feeding in developing nations is a problem.. But it's harsh to blame Ireland's dairy expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Mum won't open the fridge here without shutting her eyes as I've a vacuum packed beef heart sitting on the shelf. Surprised she hasn't noticed the tongue yet......

*goes to chase mum around the kitchen with heifer's tongue*

Kovu wrote: »
    Mum won't open the fridge here without shutting her eyes as I've a vacuum packed beef heart sitting on the shelf. Surprised she hasn't noticed the tongue yet......

*goes to chase mum around the kitchen with heifer's tongue*
    Do we really have to go through this again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone heading to this with an empty trailer and a blank cheque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

tanko wrote: »

Won't be going with either. Have a few Swartland Eddie straws in the tank and that'll do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I never knew that Nelson Alexander of the Tractor crowd were the owners of the Jalex herd.

Are you going yourself tanko?

Are you going yourself tanko?

Nope, won't be going, it's a bit far away. I've twelve cows/heifers with their time up here, I'll have to make do with looking at them for the next two weeks. Waiting on KJB calves, they're in no hurry to arrive so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CowMeister

Lads what would ye pay for a good second hand ai flask?? Going to look at one and want a rough price.

CowMeister wrote: »
    Lads what would ye pay for a good second hand ai flask?? Going to look at one and want a rough price.

It all depends how old the flask is and how well it has been looked after. They are very easily damaged and this isn't always obvious by looking at them.
    Ai technicians who carry flasks around in the back of jeeps top them up with Nitrogen every day I think because they lose so much being carried about and opened so often. A second hand one of these wouldn't be worth anything for a DIY user who gets the flask topped up every three months.

If you got a fresh one of someone who bought it with the intention of doing their own Ai but gave it up for whatever reason and had looked after the flask well it might be worth a shot.
    Have you priced new flasks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

How long does it take to get a response on a BVD test for a calf. Neighbour got around to tagging the heifer calf on Wednesday evening. I sent the sample in the post yesterday to Oldcastle Labs. The neighbour recommended them.

Base price wrote: »
    How long does it take to get a response on a BVD test for a calf. Neighbour got around to tagging the heifer calf on Wednesday evening. I sent the sample in the post yesterday to Oldcastle Labs. The neighbour recommended them.
    tuesday I reckon

• Advertisement

Thanks Whelan.
    BTW the other cow has not calved yet. Her udder is massive at this stage. She is eating, chewing the cud and lying in the sun at every opportunity. I wonder if the service date that I have is wrong - 4/6/14. I even have a question mark against it as I was not sure if he actually bulled her.
    Thinking back he was about a year and a half old at the time. He may have had problems reaching this lady as opposed to the smaller JE cow :confused:

16 days over? Often had them go far longer than that BP. She's just taking her last days of comfort handy ;)

Thanks Whelan.
    BTW the other cow has not calved yet. Her udder is massive at this stage. She is eating, chewing the cud and lying in the sun at every opportunity. I wonder if the service date that I have is wrong - 4/6/14. I even have a question mark against it as I was not sure if he actually bulled her.
    Thinking back he was about a year and a half old at the time. He may have had problems reaching this lady as opposed to the smaller JE cow :confused:
    cow that was served on 3rd of june calved last night here to aa stock bull , heifer calf

16 days over? Often had them go far longer than that BP. She's just taking her last days of comfort handy ;)
    Maybe she is just taking her time.
    I have had pedigree Blondes calving to AI at 309 days but that was many years ago when Blondes were a relatively new breed in Ireland.

I took this pic of her on Wed chillaxing in the sun.
    Her back quarters have filled up since then.

she has a fair springing there

• Advertisement

Jaysus she looks like she's ready to burst

Crikey! I'd be checking for a pulse if I seen that :D:D I'll guess Sunday at 5.37 a.m.

Crikey! I'd be checking for a pulse if I seen that :D:D I'll guess Sunday at 5.37 a.m.
    i'll go for saturday

Don't bother. You'll never know if it's working properly until you have it a while. Vacuum is easily lost if it's been knocked over or accidentally damaged. All it takes is for a weld to let go inside and it will dry out before you know it. The only way you'll really know is by filling it with nitrogen and weighting it on a daily basis to see if it's loosing weight. What make is it?

whelan2 wrote: »
    i'll go for saturday

I'll go Monday before midday :D

• Advertisement

It all depends how old the flask is and how well it has been looked after. They are very easily damaged and this isn't always obvious by looking at them.
    Ai technicians who carry flasks around in the back of jeeps top them up with Nitrogen every day I think because they lose so much being carried about and opened so often. A second hand one of these wouldn't be worth anything for a DIY user who gets the flask topped up every three months.

If you got a fresh one of someone who bought it with the intention of doing their own Ai but gave it up for whatever reason and had looked after the flask well it might be worth a shot.
    Have you priced new flasks?

Havnt priced new flasks yet. The farmer who owns it is winding down. Getting out of sucklers and into cattle. He said it's 5 years old and in perfect working order. So at what price would it be worth a shot at.

Havnt priced new flasks yet. The farmer who owns it is winding down. Getting out of sucklers and into cattle. He said it's 5 years old and in perfect working order. So at what price would it be worth a shot at.

I honestly don't know. I bought a new flask fifteen years ago, I've never moved it since, it's still working the best (touch wood). I can't remember how much it cost.
    I suppose it all depends if you trust this lad. It would be a real sickner to buy a second hand flask, put hundreds of euro worth of straws into it and for it to fail then. You'd really need to make sure it's working ok before putting straws into it.
    How much is he looking for it?

Don't bother. You'll never know if it's working properly until you have it a while. Vacuum is easily lost if it's been knocked over or accidentally damaged. All it takes is for a weld to let go inside and it will dry out before you know it. The only way you'll really know is by filling it with nitrogen and weighting it on a daily basis to see if it's loosing weight. What make is it?

I dont know what make it. Are some makes to be avoided???

I dont know what make it. Are some makes to be avoided???

If its a Taylor Wharton then a new one is £420 stg. They would be the best flask and the one all the Ai men use. Other makes are available cheaper but not as durable and long lasting.

If its a Taylor Wharton then a new one is £420 stg. They would be the best flask and the one all the Ai men use. Other makes are available cheaper but not as durable and long lasting.

Just checked mine, it's a Taylor Wharton XT 20. One thing I don't like about it is that the goblets aren't that securely held in place at the top. When I pull one up out of the nitrogen, it's inclined to dislodge the rest of them. I think later models might have been better designed. Apart from that it's been good.
    If a new flask can be got for £420 I wouldn't be buying a second hand one.

I honestly don't know. I bought a new flask fifteen years ago, I've never moved it since, it's still working the best (touch wood). I can't remember how much it cost.
    I suppose it all depends if you trust this lad. It would be a real sickner to buy a second hand flask, put hundreds of euro worth of straws into it and for it to fail then. You'd really need to make sure it's working ok before putting straws into it.
    How much is he looking for it?

Looking for 400. But I'm sure I'll bargain him down a bit. There not much difference in the price of s new one and the price he is looking for. So I would be better off buying a new one then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Looking for 400. But I'm sure I'll bargain him down a bit. There not much difference in the price of s new one and the price he is looking for. So I would be better off buying a new one then

Leave it where it is. We got a "great" deal on a second hand flask a few years ago. It was very expensive a few months later when it dried with a couple of grands worth of straws in it. Buy new and go with a good brand. Tankos one looks very cheap. 20quid a year. We've had two dry here over the years and there's no insurance to cover them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

The issue with second hand flasks is if they have been left go empty, as the vessel will expand and then when refilled it contracts and could cause it to leak. If you get a flask keep the nitrogen in it even if there are no straws in it. Bought second hand here when I did the course and flask only lasted 2 years and it wasn't moved once. You can monitor the level with the metre stick, the first one we had dropped faster than normal so cost more in nitrogen as needed and extra fill or two in the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Milked out wrote: »
    The issue with second hand flasks is if they have been left go empty, as the vessel will expand and then when refilled it contracts and could cause it to leak. If you get a flask keep the nitrogen in it even if there are no straws in it. Bought second hand here when I did the course and flask only lasted 2 years and it wasn't moved once. You can monitor the level with the metre stick, the first one we had dropped faster than normal so cost more in nitrogen as needed and extra fill or two in the year
    Does it cost much to maintain the flasks?

Sent to enfer on Wednesday, got the results there now

• Advertisement

Farrell wrote: »
    Does it cost much to maintain the flasks?

It costs around €200 to get the flask topped up with liquid nitrogen four times a year. Dovea will do it for €175 if you pay by direct debit and buy €200 (I think) worth of straws every three years off them.

Forgot to tell you yesterday Tanko, the Jalex Herd are on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JalexHerd. Dunno if they'll update it with every price but may be a good place to keep an eye out for prices from that sale.

Thanks, I see he has ten Sim heifers with dim calves, one of them would suit me:D

Jaysus what a day. Flat out here at slurry. Getting great coverage and the ground is holding up great. Two 2000 gal tankers flat out here.

Smashing weather today for it. I'd nearly chance the t shirt :D. It would almost make a contrary auld git like me happy for a few mins :D

Maybe she is just taking her time.
    I have had pedigree Blondes calving to AI at 309 days but that was many years ago when Blondes were a relatively new breed in Ireland.
    any sign yet?

It costs around €200 to get the flask topped up with liquid nitrogen four times a year. Dovea will do it for €175 if you pay by direct debit and buy €200 (I think) worth of straws every three years off them.
    Allot of money for DIY, unless you've big numbers or allot of purebreds

Farrell wrote: »
    Allot of money for DIY, unless you've big numbers or allot of purebreds

DIY Ai
    Say 30 cows x €12 per straw = €360, €200 for Nitrogen, Flask cost €550/15 years = €37, cost of Ai course €350??/15 = €23
    Cost per year = €620 per year.

Ai technician
    30 cows x €31 = €930 per year

These figures are a bit rough but not too far out I think.

Do any of ye know Sean o Brien aka "the tullow tank". He's some man:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Do any of ye know Sean o Brien aka "the tullow tank". He's some man:)

Does he post on this forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I said wrote: »
    Does he post on this forum?

Maybe he'll Try :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement