Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming ChitChat Ploughs On To Five

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

:)

o3Exb.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

have a cow had twins last week, she loves 1 of them and doesnt like the other, I read here about putting salt on the calf, would we put it on both or just the 1 she doesnt like and how much salt? Is it just normal table salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The real pity is killing hungry juvenile Trout. Take a bow. Well done.

I've said my bit. The last word is yours.

And I have said mine Genghis. Water under the bridge. No pun intended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

whelan2 wrote: »
    have a cow had twins last week, she loves 1 of them and doesnt like the other, I read here about putting salt on the calf, would we put it on both or just the 1 she doesnt like and how much salt? Is it just normal table salt

Heard a tip on a different but related topic, more so about fostering, spray wd40 on a calf or two calves if fostering more and spray some on her nose, she has the same smell on her nose and calf, helps the bonding. Haven't tried it myself tho.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Heard a tip on a different but related topic, more so about fostering, spray wd40 on a calf or two calves if fostering more and spray some on her nose, she has the same smell on her nose and calf, helps the bonding. Haven't tried it myself tho.
    might try that tomorrow, these sucklers are very time consuming at the minute

• Advertisement

Think about the good times when there haveing the time of there lives bonding on green grass

That's an interesting theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I've heard of the same thing but using Vinegar.
    Did the cow ever bond with the second calf W2?

Think about the good times when there haveing the time of there lives bonding on green grass
    seems along way away at the minute

Reggie. wrote: »
    That's an interesting theory

Yea heard it last week
    Have no evidence myself of it
    But could help
    But you can't bate getting her own milk through the calf for the number one smell that she would know

• Advertisement

seems along way away at the minute

Ah but it will come. Just thought about how bare the fields look today and the memories of lush grass in them last summer. That time will come again :)

I've heard of the same thing but using Vinegar.
    Did the cow ever bond with the second calf W2?
    they where born in the field last saturday, she let the 2 of them drink saturday and sunday, monday he looked empty and we stomach tubed him, looked ok on tuesday but he wasnt staying with the cow, now its at the stage where we brought them in and we had to leave the calf away from her for the night as she is head butting him, he is looking for a drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

they where born in the field last saturday, she let the 2 of them drink saturday and sunday, monday he looked empty and we stomach tubed him, looked ok on tuesday but he wasnt staying with the cow, now its at the stage where we brought them in and we had to leave the calf away from her for the night as she is head butting him, he is looking for a drink

I think you've a job on your hands now at this stage. How would she be if you took away the two calves, penned them together in a corner of the shed where she'd be close to them but not able to do any harm. Then let them both suck, with supervision, and take them off again. Maybe a few days of this she'd take to him again?

I wonder (bear with me on this as I'm kinda thinking out loud!) if you took both calves off her like mentioned above and gave supervised sucking. But in the meantime put an old jumper or something on the calf she has accepted and allowed him to keep it on for a few days before switching it onto the other calf when you let the two in with the cow full time. Would it fool her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I had a mare who wouldnt feed her foal before. We "hobbled" her aka tied all her legs & head up so she couldnt kick and then let the foal suck. Did this a few times a day for a few days and eventually she took to the foal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I think you've a job on your hands now at this stage. How would she be if you took away the two calves, penned them together in a corner of the shed where she'd be close to them but not able to do any harm. Then let them both suck, with supervision, and take them off again. Maybe a few days of this she'd take to him again?

+1 I reckon this is your best bet. I'd say it's to old for the salt trick but worth a go also. Don't spare it lash it on. Table salt is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Not a bad result for an hours sneaking around a river

Is there enough out of the bottom two to cover a cream cracker?
    Any wonder there is **** all fish left in the rivers.

ye i sort of lost ground on wednesday and thursday as i was here on my own, very busy and sick:rolleyes: will try leaving the 2 calves away from her today, thanks all

I said wrote: »
    Is there enough out of the bottom two to cover a cream cracker?
    Any wonder there is **** all fish left in the rivers.

Bit late jumping on the band wagon now I said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Bit late jumping on the band wagon now I said

Not at all only seen it at that hour last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Don't be daft I said Reggie never caught them he bought them on the way home from work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Okay lads, I think we'll leave 'Fishgate' behind us now. Thanks.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Okay lads, I think we'll leave 'Fishgate' behind us now. Thanks.

:D

That's the gate re welded and back up. Bloody lowloaders

That's the gate re welded and back up. Bloody lowloaders

We're you trying to put that single chop on a lowloader ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I thought it was a dbl chop :D

Dont forget the clocks change tonight everyone.

That things just an ornament at this stage

New fert spreader (well new to us anyway!) No experience with wagtails though, are they much different a spread to the spinner?

Yerman explained it to dad, but I asked if I could take a look into his cattle shed and had fun looking at his sucklers instead. :D

Waiting on two black neck pheasants to arrive now, to complete our little fowl venture!

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    New fert spreader (well new to us anyway!) No experience with wagtails though, are they much different a spread to the spinner?

Yerman explained it to dad, but I asked if I could take a look into his cattle shed and had fun looking at his sucklers instead. :D

Waiting on two black neck pheasants to arrive now, to complete our little fowl venture!

Well the wagtail spreads both sides were a small spinner usually spreads more to the left I think it is

Well the wagtail spreads both sides were a small spinner usually spreads more to the left I think it is

Sorted actually, I see a good few vicon spreader threads. The problem now is making sure the shaft can connect correctly with the Zetor, put a longer one on it at the dealers but haven't tried it for size yet.

Sorted actually, I see a good few vicon spreader threads. The problem now is making sure the shaft can connect correctly with the Zetor, put a longer one on it at the dealers but haven't tried it for size yet.

You'll be grand

You can cut the shaft if it's too long

Bullocks wrote: »

;)

;)

I know , I know its never too long :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know , I know its never too long :rolleyes:

Like the woman said to the soldier! ;p

;)

Behave :D

Behave :D

You would've winked only I bet u to it ;)

You would've winked only I bet u to it ;)

This is true :)

What other type of pheasents are you keeping kovu? hatching the eggs? Neighbour at home is breeding a serious amount of them.

• Advertisement

:eek:
    What other type of pheasents are you keeping kovu? hatching the eggs? Neighbour at home is breeding a serious amount of them.

We've never had pheasant before, they're only for a bit of a hobby really, not for any financial gain at all, just hope to get them breeding and released. Have grey partridge as well but they haven't laid yet.

:eek:

We've never had pheasant before, they're only for a bit of a hobby really, not for any financial gain at all, just hope to get them breeding and released. Have grey partridge as well but they haven't laid yet.
    So is Genghis still chasing whelan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Dont forget the clocks change tonight everyone.

Yep. And an hour less sleep is just what I want at this time of year. :rolleyes:

Yea he's grand with his tagged lady. However Mike went a little psycho and beat the bejaysus out of the other female and killed her in the process....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Cant see the shaft being a problem for you Kovu. Its just the spread distance and rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Not sure if i'm after finding a 50 shades thread:pac:

Not sure if i'm after finding a 50 shades thread:pac:

For once, I didn't start it. :)

i was going :confused:

cow has improved with the calf, but he is sucking her side rather than the teat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

cow has improved with the calf, but he is sucking her side rather than the teat

He'll find it one he grabs the teat he'll never go back!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement