Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming ChitChat Ploughs On To Five

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Kovu wrote: »
    :eek:

We've never had pheasant before, they're only for a bit of a hobby really, not for any financial gain at all, just hope to get them breeding and released. Have grey partridge as well but they haven't laid yet.

Best to incubate the eggs... Did you know a pheasent will crossbreed with a chicken??

Any pics of the partridges??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Best to incubate the eggs... Did you know a pheasent will crossbreed with a chicken??

Any pics of the partridges??

No chickens here :P

We have a bantam on hold to take as a foster mother if the remaining pair do lay. Have a pic of them somewhere but they're bloody hard to photo as they have been reared wild so run about like lunatics when we're near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A ring feeder with green garden mesh over the top and sides is a very handy pen when getting them used to the great outdoors. Easy to slide over to a fresh piece of grass.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    A ring feeder with green garden mesh over the top and sides is a very handy pen when getting them used to the great outdoors. Easy to slide over to a fresh piece of grass.

They have custom made galvanised mesh cages :pac:

Here's the two male pheasants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Whoooooooooooooo!

Fancy!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Whoooooooooooooo!

Fancy!

I know. And there are gates held together with paint in some fields :D

They have custom made galvanised mesh cages :pac:

Here's the two male pheasants.

Neighbour has the albino ones aswell.

Neighbour has the albino ones aswell.

We had a natural albino one here a few years ago, used to throw it a handful of feed in a corner of the field every morning. Some fox got him in the end I'd say. Also had an albino crow, now that looked weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

dzer2 wrote: »
    Cant see the shaft being a problem for you Kovu. Its just the spread distance and rate

The shaft could be a problem if theres no cover on it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Bullocks wrote: »
    The shaft could be a problem if theres no cover on it ;)

always-protect-your-shaft-hoody-582-p%5Bekm%5D134x160%5Bekm%5D.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

always-protect-your-shaft-hoody-582-p%5Bekm%5D134x160%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Health and safety take the fun out of everything ;(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Yea he's grand with his tagged lady. However Mike went a little psycho and beat the bejaysus out of the other female and killed her in the process....:pac:

He went a 'little psycho' and killed his mate. Jaysus I would like to see your definition of going completely psycho :-)

On a related note. I'd think the hand reared females make poor mothers. I'll be interested to see how ya get on. I know some lads use a bantam hen to rear a clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

How high would the fence haveto be to rase pheasants? I have an unused dog run on about 1/4 AC with the green mesh fence all around it about 6ft high and a very good little shead at one end of it.

I ust to be into guine fowel and pea hens/cocks as a youn fella and had the place like a zoo but always wanted to have a go at releasing pheasants.

HJaysus I would like to see your definition of going completely psycho :-)
    Holding the others hostage using a shard of their water bowl as a weapon :D
    How high would the fence haveto be to rase pheasants? I have an unused dog run on about 1/4 AC with the green mesh fence all around it about 6ft high and a very good little shead at one end of it.

Wouldn't have a clue tbh! These won't be in too long anyway and are going to be between that cage and a small hen run for shelter.

I ust to be into guine fowel and pea hens/cocks as a youn fella and had the place like a zoo but always wanted to have a go at releasing pheasants.

Friend of mine handles a few hundred a year. I've often been in the pens but I can't remember how high they are. I'll find out though.
    He contains them for a while then has little chutes set up outside aiming them back in through a sort of a trap door system. They get fed inside and are whistle trained, so come running to the whistle for grub, in through the chutes and into the pens. There's shelters and roosts set up in the pens for them. He'd have good and bad years, some casualties are normal.
    One problem I saw him having was and older wild bird coming and leading off the younger ones. There's always something I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just in the door from a long run and haven't had a chance to catch up on previous F&F posts.
    I am just after doing a deal with a neighbour to rear and keep "stock" on an annual basis. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    Just in the door from a long run and haven't had a chance to catch up on previous F&F posts.
    I am just after doing a deal with a neighbour to rear and keep "stock" on an annual basis. :)

Did ya run far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

contract rearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie. wrote: »
    Did ya run far :)
    Nope :P
    whelan2 wrote: »
    contract rearing?
    Yep ;)
    RIR growers to pol :-))

Yep ;)

Sounds like a fowl idea B-)

• Advertisement

Yep ;)

How many ya talking

Don't forget the hour moving forward people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Could do with it going the other way (at a wedding) know it'll b needed in the morning

Farrell wrote: »
    Could do with it going the other way (at a wedding) know it'll b needed in the morning

I'm always on duty when the hour goes back hence I get a 25hr duty. Never on duty on this date :rolleyes:

Damn missing hour. I could have spent that hour playing blackjack. With coke and hookers.

Actually reading the Journal belatedly. I see a good piece from a regular here :) Not the sheep one, another one. Goddammit, there are three of ye on it this week that I know of.

Damn missing hour. I could have spent that hour playing blackjack. With coke and hookers.

Actually reading the Journal belatedly. I see a good piece from a regular here :) Not the sheep one, another one. Goddammit, there are three of ye on it this week that I know of.

Jealous are we

Jealous are we

Naw, I've been it it enough :D

Naw, I've been it it enough :D

Give someone else the spotlight

Give someone else the spotlight

Shove you into it! Actually no....camera lenses are expensive :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I love Jameson

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I love Jameson

You wont be loving it in the morning when the head be hanging out of your head.

Shove you into it! Actually no....camera lenses are expensive :P

You'd want a satellite to photo me :D

You wont be loving it in the morning when the head be hanging out of your head.

Have ya appeared yet :D

Bloody child got the hour mixed up. She's up since 7 aka 6am. Soo tired. Sunday is my lie in :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Bloody child got the hour mixed up. She's up since 7 aka 6am. Soo tired. Sunday is my lie in :(

Lie ins are only a thing for hobby farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

sure 6 is a lie in;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I'm always on duty when the hour goes back hence I get a 25hr duty. Never on duty on this date :rolleyes:

Ya still in the army Reggie? Out and about or office based?

AP2014 wrote: »
    Ya still in the army Reggie? Out and about or office based?

Both office and about.

And what's your point :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

People complaining about lie-ins need to re-asses their work/life balance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Blackgrass wrote: »

if I'm off on holiday I just can't stay in the bed awake at 6 and can't go back to sleep.
    If I'm at home I'd take all the sleep I can get :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

brother texted me at 6am to say he's at the departure gate in dublin airport heading to spain, jammy fecker, i am probably the only fool that would be awake that he could text on a sunday morning at that time

if I'm off on holiday I just can't stay in the bed awake at 6 and can't go back to sleep.
    If I'm at home I'd take all the sleep I can get :D:D

I'll be awake at that time too. Will mess on the phone for a wee while and usually troll donedeal before I get up

brother texted me at 6am to say he's at the departure gate in dublin airport heading to spain, jammy fecker, i am probably the only fool that would be awake that he could text on a sunday morning at that time

I was in work at that stage :(

Why ya answer :D

Blackgrass wrote: »

You post up here early enough in the mornings , I'd say you don't lie on too late either :D

I reckon farmers aren't up much earlier than the rest of the work force anymore , especially between commuting , childcare and both parents working nowadays

• Advertisement

You post up here early enough in the mornings , I'd say you don't lie on too late either :D

I reckon farmers aren't up much earlier than the rest of the work force anymore , especially between commuting , childcare and both parents working nowadays

Yeah alot of people on the road for 6am. It's the times we live in I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

What about us part time farmers that still have to do a commute. I'd to even do it this morning and then head to a job for 4 hrs. It can drain you but I reckon a lot of lying in and sleeping is purely a habit.

Yeah alot of people on the road for 6am. It's the times we life in I'm afraid

Yup , I dont know if its really worth it though . It great to have ambition and improve our lot but chillin the beans here and now is important too . Same thanks we will all get when they are throwing us in a hole in the ground at the end anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Only during the week normally, easier to get work done as once 9 comes round everyone's constantly ringing for stuff. Finish up fairly early in evenings too mind. A waiting combine or drill is all i'll go over time for.

Yup , I dont know if its really worth it though . It great to have ambition and improve our lot but chillin the beans here and now is important too . Same thanks we will all get when they are throwing us in a hole in the ground at the end anyhow

Like to keep Sunday to the family if possible. Counting down the time that I'm finished in the army as I commute 3 hrs a day

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement