Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming ChitChat Ploughs On To Five

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Miname wrote: »
    What about us part time farmers that still have to do a commute. I'd to even do it this morning and then head to a job for 4 hrs. It can drain you but I reckon a lot of lying in and sleeping is purely a habit.

I am a part time farmer aswell , I seldom sleep past 6 but do indulge in an afternoon nap if I get it . I could think of worse habits than enjoying a snooze :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bullocks wrote: »
    I am a part time farmer aswell , I seldom sleep past 6 but do indulge in an afternoon nap if I get it . I could think of worse habits than enjoying a snooze :D

Can't sleep in the evenings. Wake up all cranky. (More than usual :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Reggie. wrote: »
    Like to keep Sunday to the family if possible. Counting down the time that I'm finished in the army as I commute 3 hrs a day

Is that 5 days or do u do shift work.

Used to work 6 till 2 pm back in the day was great to be going home at 2pm when every one else at work.

Can't sleep in the evenings. Wake up all cranky. (More than usual :D)

If I sleep for more than 30 mins I'll be cranky alright

naughto wrote: »
    Is that 5 days or do u do shift work

Could be only a few days a week or 6 days a week sometimes. No set time for us

Like to keep Sunday to the family if possible. Counting down the time that I'm finished in the army as I commute 3 hrs a day

When I have to travel that length at work I get a b&b , its cheaper than diesel ( and hope the old boy doesn't ring with something wrong while I'm gone :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Damn you Jameson,
    That was a hard mornings work with the head out the cab of the tractor. I can't drink any more.

Damn you Jameson,
    That was a hard mornings work with the head out the cab of the tractor. I can't drink any more.

Nothing worse than a jameson burp the following day , you dont know if its nice or if you're going to empty the guts next burp :D

Damn you Jameson,

Get the dinner in to ya now a a bit of a nap after the apple tart you will be ready to go again.can not for the life of me do two nights on the beer any more. I'guve it a go but would be hanging all night

When I have to travel that length at work I get a b&b , its cheaper than diesel ( and hope the old boy doesn't ring with something wrong while I'm gone :D )

I would only I can't get out of the barracks quick enough :)

• Advertisement

Damn you Jameson,

*cough* self inflicted *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Damn you Jameson,

A few hours from now those two little lads in your head will start trying to kangoo there way out either side of your head. The best option might be to appease them with a few pint bottles and ice in a nice beer garden.

A few hours from now those two little lads in your head will start trying to kangoo there way out either side of your head. The best option might be to appease them with a few pint bottles and ice in a nice beer garden.

Beer garden on a day like today u would need iceskins on to be out in it

With weather like today ya might be better staying in the pub and pass on the beer garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

With weather like today ya might be better staying in the pub and pass on the beer garden

Ya. I went for a walk and it very shortly turned into a run as I spotted a cloud appearing. Met five people on horses, bet they're sooooooaked now as it's bucketing down.

Kovu wrote: »
    Ya. I went for a walk and it very shortly turned into a run as I spotted a cloud appearing. Met five people on horses, bet they're sooooooaked now as it's bucketing down.

Not even a day for going outside here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What about us part time farmers that still have to do a commute. I'd to even do it this morning and then head to a job for 4 hrs. It can drain you but I reckon a lot of lying in and sleeping is purely a habit.
    It's a habit i would like to form for a while. Up most of last night with cows calving and a cow down in the feeding passage.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Yup , I dont know if its really worth it though . It great to have ambition and improve our lot but chillin the beans here and now is important too . Same thanks we will all get when they are throwing us in a hole in the ground at the end anyhow

Do drive against the commuter traffic fairly regularly and often wonder how you wouldn't be clinically insane doing it... In 15miles one morning there was 3 "brakes" in the line when I say brakes they were no more than 500meters....

Id spend any amount of hours behind the wheel without thinking about it, but if it was a case of sitting into that twice a day every day to get to and from work Id have to ask myself was it really worth it. Has to be every bit as hard on family life as the long hours associated with farming, leaving home at 6/7am and probably not back till the same in the evening... And to anyone that does do it fair play to ye it has to be incredibly hard..

Jaysus we're overrun with horses on our road today. Must be something on next door as horseboxes and lorries up and down to it all day.

One poor sod went flying past the house a few minutes ago and I don't think she wanted to go either the direction or speed the horse felt like going.

• Advertisement

Jaysus we're overrun with horses on our road today. Must be something on next door as horseboxes and lorries up and down to it all day.

One poor sod went flying past the house a few minutes ago and I don't think she wanted to go either the direction or speed the horse felt like going.

And I bet you didn't even have as smirk on your face either

And I bet you didn't even have as smirk on your face either

Have been on runaway horses before so had every bit of sympathy for her :D

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Could be only a few days a week or 6 days a week sometimes. No set time for us

Are you in the curragh Reggie?

I wouldnt mind a 3hr commute tbh if it was all driving. I like having a nosey on my way through different towns etc. Its the traffic that melts my brain.

Its a dodgey enough experience alright if on the road.

Are you in the curragh Reggie?

I wouldnt mind a 3hr commute tbh if it was all driving. I like having a nosey on my way through different towns etc. Its the traffic that melts my brain.

In dublin so the last half hour is bumper to bumper

• Advertisement

Its a dodgey enough experience alright if on the road.

I'm baffled as to what's going on though. There are groups of three going 'round the block ' of about 2km and so far there have been five or six different groups as they'll all different horses and ponies. Do they have meet ups in pony clubs?

I'm baffled as to what's going on though. There are groups of three going 'round the block ' of about 2km and so far there have been five or six different groups as they'll all different horses and ponies. Do they have meet ups in pony clubs?

Boy racers? :D

Fcuk yer Honda Civic, I've a horse outside :rolleyes:

:D
    Fcuk yer Honda Civic, I've a horse outside :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Can't afford a car to do laps of town so do laps of the parish on a horse ? :P

• Advertisement

rushvalley wrote: »
    Can't afford a car to do laps of town so do laps of the parish on a horse ? :P

We are in a recession after all

Is it a hunter trials and there all doing bits of roadwork as a warm up??

Is it a hunter trials and there all doing bits of roadwork as a warm up??

Perhaps. Don't see anything set up around us though, there may be down near the lake though, see something in the distance that looked like a tyre jump. I vaguely know the lady next door, she won in the RDS on her mare last year and I went on a few hacks out with her when I had Rua last summer.

Perhaps. Don't see anything set up around us though, there may be down near the lake though, see something in the distance that looked like a tyre jump. I vaguely know the lady next door, she won in the RDS on her mare last year and I went on a few hacks out with her when I had Rua last summer.

Have you any horses now? weve two at home but sure there only expensive pets now cos im away.

Have you any horses now? weve two at home but sure there only expensive pets now cos im away.

Nope but may get one again for the summer. Rua was a bit high strung for my liking as he was off Guidam, he went down to Wexford so he's probably jumping to his hearts content now.

I've figured out what they were doing today but not why. They were going round in groups, all dressed up, even with the eventing boots on. But just going through paces on the road with people watching them at different points. :confused:

Nope but may get one again for the summer. Rua was a bit high strung for my liking as he was off Guidam, he went down to Wexford so he's probably jumping to his hearts content now.

I've figured out what they were doing today but not why. They were going round in groups, all dressed up, even with the eventing boots on. But just going through paces on the road with people watching them at different points. :confused:

Hardly possible buyers looking at them

Hardly possible buyers looking at them

No because one person watching was the my neighbour and I vaguely recognised another man from Sligo. Is there such a thing as a road safety course on horses?

I should prob ask that in Equestrian actually....

Wait, found it- Riding and Road Safety Certificate Test
    Must have been the field test here today.

No because one person watching was the my neighbour and I vaguely recognised another man from Sligo. Is there such a thing as a road safety course on horses?

I should prob ask that in Equestrian actually....

Wait, found it- Riding and Road Safety Certificate Test
    Must have been the field test here today.

Jaysus you'll have to have lights on them next or an Nct fir the horses :rolleyes:

Ill loan you one of mine if you want?? Have a heavy cob and a half bred hunter.

Never heard of anyone doing that craic.. Training show or some craic maybe?

Ill loan you one of mine if you want?? Have a heavy cob and a half bred hunter.

Never heard of anyone doing that craic.. Training show or some craic maybe?

Not sure if serious......are you trying to kill off the mods? :p

Yea I've it figured out anyway! Tis Longford Pony Club I think.

• Advertisement

Why couldn't it be done in Longford I wonder. Something special about your place Kovu? Quiet auld spot?

Why couldn't it be done in Longford I wonder. Something special about your place Kovu? Quiet auld spot?

Machinery driving school next door so has a very large yard. Lake would be a distraction/difficult point to walk nervy horses by too. We're also not far from the Longford border.

Machinery driving school next door so has a very large yard. Lake would be a distraction/difficult point to walk nervy horses by too. We're also not far from the Longford border.

Machinery driving school?

Machinery driving school?

Plant & Heavy Goods Machinery courses. Learn how to drive a himac and that sort of thing.

Plant & Heavy Goods Machinery courses. Learn how to drive a himac and that sort of thing.

Ah yes for the tickets

Would save me feeding the ****er!!!

Havent seen a Hymac being used in ireland since i was about 11 and even then it was ancient :p

Would save me feeding the ****er!!!

I'll PM you once I get back to the laptop. :) Would actually be interested in one for the summer, would save all the faffing about on done deal.

Ya the hymac/himac (??spelling) they use for training is ancient. Suppose it saves expensive break downs!

Havent seen a Hymac being used in ireland since i was about 11 and even then it was ancient :p

I was letting her away with that......say nothing

• Advertisement

I'll PM you once I get back to the laptop. :) Would actually be interested in one for the summer, would save all the faffing about on done deal.

Ya the hymac/himac (??spelling) they use for training is ancient. Suppose it saves expensive break downs!

Be more chance of that thing breaking down than a newer one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement