Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming ChitChat Ploughs On To Five

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

How soon after baling can ya feed a bale to an animal? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

fermentation is usually complete after 60days
    but there's nothing to stop you feeding before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Reggie. wrote: »
    Only seen around 4 alive in the wild in my life

Was seing a girl in new zealand at one stage and where she lived in a small development just outside a town there were loads of hedgehogs, driving in her drive way at night you had to weave around them to avoid killing any!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

the hedgehog here is very dead, about 1 million maggots on it this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

whelan2 wrote: »

The mother here is a massive fan of hedgehogs, has been known to bring them to the vet at times. One time wintered one in the sitting room, hedgehogs can be fed on a diet of dry cat food incase you ever have to feed one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

2nd cut all mown today .. Bale Friday am .. Please hold off rain!

Bodacious wrote: »
    2nd cut all mown today .. Bale Friday am .. Please hold off rain!
    mowed silage today, will do triticale on friday and put grass silage on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Have seen more wildlife up close in my 20 plus years in London , than I did during my 18 odd years on the Farm

Most depressing thing was seeing how high a fence a fox could clear.

I am often in England and noticed there's a lot more wildlife there. Stopped on a main road one day to drain the spuds and something went across my feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Feckthis wrote: »
    I am often in England and noticed there's a lot more wildlife there. Stopped on a main road one day to drain the spuds and something went across my feet.

Ya sure that wasnt related to draining the spuds? :D

Couple of hedge hogs about here, dog has a habit of finding them in the evenings, he can either hear them or smell them, will find it in the middle of the field at dusk, and he wouldn't bother going into the field normally...

Dad went up a side road one evening to shut a gate and thought he saw something just as he was stopping, looked around and there was a little hedge hog in wondering around under the car sniffing at the tires, he had to sit and wait for it to get out before he could move!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Jaysus, not many lads could say their slong can touch their toes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Stopped on a main road one day to drain the spuds and something went across my feet.

Always p1ss with the wind behind ya. Particularly when you're wearing your good shoes! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

My job brings me up close and personal with all our wildlife. By far the most troublesome are the 2 legged ones!

The Red Deer in rut is probably the most impressive. Sorta spooky of an autumn evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

My job brings me up close and personal with all our wildlife. By far the most troublesome are the 2 legged ones!

The Red Deer in rut is probably the most impressive. Sorta spooky of an autumn evening!

I was trying to think of a two legged species there for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

And the screams of them at night is chilling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

Anyone else get a blue card with the wrong name on it recently. Got one with my uncle's name instead even though we changed the name years ago. Phoned the local DVO and they said that i was the 3rd person today. They're not sure what's behind it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

ganmo wrote: »
    fermentation is usually complete after 60days
    but there's nothing to stop you feeding before that.

Really didn't think it'd take that long, would 10-14 days be ok?

royaler83 wrote: »
    Really didn't think it'd take that long, would 10-14 days be ok?
    have fed them the day after they where made, yes the longer you leave them the better but there should be no ill effects from feeding them sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Was out the field late last-night & came across 1, never saw 1 myself before is there a reason that they're so visible now (or just coincidence)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Another life lost in farm accident in co clare,RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Terrible news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Absolutley terrible news...know the family...sympathies to them all. RIP

Parishlad wrote: »
    Absolutley terrible news...know the family...sympathies to them all. RIP

Machinery again?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Machinery again?

Don't know exact details so don't want to speculate, but yes, machinery involved.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

:D

Where are you off to? You need butter for that toast:D

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Where are you off to? You need butter for that toast:D

Reinforcements required for the harvest in Dorset plus a wedding out there aswell

Reinforcements required for the harvest in Dorset plus a wedding out there aswell
    can i go, cracking up here trying to get through to bus eireann, when i do get through there will be a row... 59 kids for 53 seats on bus and how do they pick the kids that cant get on:confused::mad::(

can i go, cracking up here trying to get through to bus eireann, when i do get through there will be a row... 59 kids for 53 seats on bus and how do they pick the kids that cant get on:confused::mad::(

The most important get picked first ;)

Can't wait to see this wedding as how do I put this.....its costing roughly the same as a conversion from beef to dairy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Have they a massey for you, or do you get to pick?

There used to be 18/19 of us on a 14 seater in my school. We sat on bags or on top of other people:D By sheer luck we never got caught by an inspector.

• Advertisement

Have they a massey for you, or do you get to pick?

God only knows what I'm on. Got word the area ain't ready for the wedding sat so could be on a merlo or low loading showman engines

There used to be 18/19 of us on a 14 seater in my school. We sat on bags or on top of other people:D By sheer luck we never got caught by an inspector.

Don't let _Brian hear about that or he'll be after ya with the health and safety stick :D

Don't let _Brian hear about that or he'll be after ya with the health and safety stick :D

I'm a bit old to be thumped with a H&S stick now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I'm a bit old to be thumped with a H&S stick now!!

Must resist. Don't want to steal Charliebull s thunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Would ya believe it I drove as a relief driver on/off and stuffing was common place... Similar 14 seater
    Local guard used to line them up..."I don't care how many seats ya have, get the ****ers off the street and home"

ye but all thats changed , by law-and rightly so- its a seat per child. Still cant get through to local school transport office(bus eireann):mad: have been on to school and private transport company that run bus,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

ye but all thats changed , by law-and rightly so- its a seat per child. Still cant get through to local school transport office(bus eireann):mad: have been on to school and private transport company that run bus,

If the dept/finance won't sanction another bus, there's nothing that either the school/bus company/bus eireann can do, TD is the only hope (poor chance)
    Unless there's seat belt on the bus, 3 to a seat doesn't make it any more dangerous

Gerry Adams here we come, we are planning on taking to local radio tomorrow

Someone tipped them off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Don't start me!!!!!

I love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

rangler1 wrote: »
    If the dept/finance won't sanction another bus, there's nothing that either the school/bus company/bus eireann can do, TD is the only hope (poor chance)
    Unless there's seat belt on the bus, 3 to a seat doesn't make it any more dangerous

Before you go any further check the school bus section of the beireann website. There's a section where you can check whether you are entitled to a seat on a particular bus. You identify where you are living and it works out whether you should be on the bus you are applying for. It can be an issue where catchments overlap. You can have situations where near neighbours are supposed to be heading in two different directions to school. If you are in the wrong catchment and the bus is full of people from the right one you're screwed.

Before you go any further check the school bus section of the beireann website. There's a section where you can check whether you are entitled to a seat on a particular bus. You identify where you are living and it works out whether you should be on the bus you are applying for. It can be an issue where catchments overlap. You can have situations where near neighbours are supposed to be heading in two different directions to school. If you are in the wrong catchment and the bus is full of people from the right one you're screwed.
    we are in the right area, i dropped him to school yesterday morning as i was going that way, as he was not on the bus yesterday morning, he was not allowed to travel yesterday evening and was refused again this morning, even though there where free seats this morning. Still can not get through to bus eireann school transport office in Dundalk, have spoken to the main bus eireann school transport section and they have logged the complaint but said i have to speak to local office:mad: I know there are a few kids not from our area on the bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

we are in the right area, i dropped him to school yesterday morning as i was going that way, as he was not on the bus yesterday morning, he was not allowed to travel yesterday evening and was refused again this morning, even though there where free seats this morning. Still can not get through to bus eireann school transport office in Dundalk, have spoken to the main bus eireann school transport section and they have logged the complaint but said i have to speak to local office:mad: I know there are a few kids not from our area on the bus

Surely it'll only cause bad feeling if you get kids put off, bringing attention on your own

Call into the offices?

• Advertisement

Call into the offices?
    dundalk is 12 miles away... i suppose the amount of time i have spent trying to phone them i would be there and back

rangler1 wrote: »
    Surely it'll only cause bad feeling if you get kids put off, bringing attention on your own
    seat is paid for , he should have a seat. They need to re route or put on another bus, it should have been sorted before school year started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I love it :D

Minister for Tanks & Teats :D

Call into the offices?
    one of the other mammies went down, knocking on door of school transport office for ages, no one there:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

better half is a primary school teacher, she said there is a mother in her school who puts her two kids on the school bus in the morning, hops in the car and drives around after the bus the make sure they get to school. same in the afternoon when kids are goin home,,, bit extreme imo!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement