Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming ChitChat Ploughs On To Five

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

A roll of fencing wire ?

I got high tensile sheep wire for 110 for a 100 metre roll. A 650 metre roll of plain high tensile wire was 50. A 180 metre roll of barb wire was 30 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Zr105 wrote: »
    They ain't cheap alright, but as Darragh said not to bad when ya put it per bale... And no matter what its worth it, less time waitin for bale to tie, and the bale is nice and neat and you dont end up leaving half of it on the road when your drawing straw...
    Is there much difference in 2.5 turns and 3 turns as a contractor here makes sloppy bales and I reckon he isn't putting enough net on the bales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Reggie. wrote: »
    Is there much difference in 2.5 turns and 3 turns as a contractor here makes sloppy bales and I reckon he isn't putting enough net on the bales

did ye see the new round baler that is continous feed. By my interpetation of the article it will somehow move the full bale out of the chamber without having to stop and start forming a new bale.

That will save many a clutch

http://www.agriland.ie/news/lely-claims-continuous-baling-breakthrough/

did ye see the new round baler that is continous feed. By my interpetation of the article it will somehow move the full bale out of the chamber without having to stop and start forming a new bale.

That will save many a clutch

http://www.agriland.ie/news/lely-claims-continuous-baling-breakthrough/

Interesting as that's a lely. I thought krone had one nearly ready for production last year

Interesting as that's a lely. I thought krone had one nearly ready for production last year

No idea. Saw it on twitter the other day. 175hp requirement though

She's fairly tall too. Alot to go wrong with it too I reckon

Anyone going to the better farm walk in crookedwood today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I think the problem is your contractor, and his preference for more bales rather than needing more net, Reggie .
    Getting a lad with a Fusion for mine, to see how much of a difference it makes. not often ground here is dry enough to try one.......

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I think the problem is your contractor, and his preference for more bales rather than needing more net, Reggie .
    Getting a lad with a Fusion for mine, to see how much of a difference it makes. not often ground here is dry enough to try one.......

A F550 will make the same bale without all the weight of a fusion. My contractor in North westmeath wount touch a fusion because of the hills.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »

He was using a McHale f550

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Anyone see limousin bullocks selling recently, approx 460 kg out of milkers.

He was using a McHale f550

tell him to turn up the density over 20% :pac:

would love to but flat out these days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

A F550 will make the same bale without all the weight of a fusion. My contractor in North westmeath wount touch a fusion because of the hills.

It's flat on average around here but even the farmers are switching to fusions. No wrapping in yards for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Whereabouts? Up the steep hill opposite the pub? Spent many a day and night in Crookedwood.

• Advertisement

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Whereabouts? Up the steep hill opposite the pub? Spent many a day and night in Crookedwood.

haha really ? im from only down the road from the wood.

The farm is actually down the multy road about 1 mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

haha really ? im from only down the road from the wood.

The farm is actually down the multy road about 1 mile

Yep, my aunt lives there. More than likely I've driven past your place a multitude of times!

Not sure but that area. It's only a few miles from me so be a shame not to go

would love to but flat out these days :rolleyes:

No seriously...... you busy....ha ha ha

tell him to turn up the density over 20% :pac:

Get the bastard to slow down would help either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Anyone have the new fusion bales with plastic instead net wrap. They are some job fed a few yesterday way better than the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

I'd like to but it's too far away and the weather's too good. I was there a few years ago when getting the green cert. Seems to keep everything simple - easy calving sire, short calving season, calf/cow/year etc. It would be interesting to see if he's changed his system much.

Yep, my aunt lives there. More than likely I've driven past your place a multitude of times!

No i moved about 10 mile over the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

No i moved about 10 mile over the road
    jasus thats a wide road

hard to see where the power is used.
    be handy alright...on flat ground, remember being in the house as a kid when a bale fell off the baler, flattened 2 fences and stopped 10ft from the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

2.5 should be plenty unless there being moved around a couple of times before being wrapped. We'd normally try draw them first so would be lifted on and off trailer with fork and stay together. If the bales are soft id agree with neck, it's the contractor not turning up the density enough, and driving to fast aswell, especially if he's following the big rake in lighter stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Had family (why is there always a couple) called selling gates. Luckily I had chance to buy the last 6 of the big lorry load he had got earlier in the year and also -now I really couldn't believe my luck- he needed to empty trailer so that he could go to collect trailer load of paint. How lucky can I be??? :rolleyes:
    Had to say NO about 6 times before they cleared off. If I want a gate I will buy it in local store.

Had family (why is there always a couple) called selling gates. Luckily I had chance to buy the last 6 of the big lorry load he had got earlier in the year and also -now I really couldn't believe my luck- he needed to empty trailer so that he could go to collect trailer load of paint. How lucky can I be??? :rolleyes:
    Had to say NO about 6 times before they cleared off. If I want a gate I will buy it in local store.

had them here last week selling tools,last year I had a lot of tools nicked bloody good stuff too. Your man was wondering why the veins were bursting out the side of my neck and my head gone purple 😈😈😈😈........... He went away !!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Had visitors here looking for scrap, anyway dog was checking him out, and as he walked away I called back the dog, 'Gypsy sit down', I got some strange look......

how much were the gates boss :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Didn't even ask or give him chance to say. Didn't want to waste his time as he had paint to collect. But he said they were cheap. I don't entertain them at all.

Didn't even ask or give him chance to say. Didn't want to waste his time as he had paint to collect. But he said they were cheap. I don't entertain them at all.

Im looking for a few if the boss man comes back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

how much were the gates boss 

Had them in constantly in the last two years as they could see new shed going up from road. Gates all sizes that went down in price without saying a thing! Also feeding barriers for around 100e. All shipped over from UK . Apparently they are made out by the airport over there!

einn32 wrote: »
    Had them in constantly in the last two years as they could see new shed going up from road. Gates all sizes that went down in price without saying a thing! Also feeding barriers for around 100e. All shipped over from UK . Apparently they are made out by the airport over there!

wount bother me. Talking to a lad who got 16ft for 70 euros

Im looking for a 12ft full mesh

and also a 20 or 22 or 24ft gateway split in 2 where you dont need a centre removal pillar

and a 16ft and another 12ft and a few 8fts also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

theres only 1 of them i buy anything off , he is sound, got great gates off him last year. Rest of them are chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

foxylock wrote: »
    had them here last week selling tools,last year I had a lot of tools nicked bloody good stuff too. Your man was wondering why the veins were bursting out the side of my neck and my head gone purple 😈😈😈😈........... He went away !!

a big purple headed warrior tend to frighten a lot of people

whelan2 wrote: »
    theres only 1 of them i buy anything off , he is sound, got great gates off him last year. Rest of them are chancers

haha . would you not share details with us :D

a big purple headed warrior tend to frighten a lot of people

bad enough meeting me but if the purple headed warrior came out someone could get hurt!!!!! 😲

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Got the first bag of meal for the weanlings today. Threw it up on the back and thought, no way is that 25Kgs. Have a very accurate weighing scales, that was thrown out at work, measures to the nearest gr - 25.106 Kgs.:D
    Jasuz, must be that 20 Tonne of decorative gravel I helped move by barrow at the w'end.

• Advertisement

Got the first bag of meal for the weanlings today. Threw it up on the back and thought, no way is that 25Kgs. Have a very accurate weighing scales, that was thrown out at work, measures to the nearest gr - 25.106 Kgs.:D
    Jasuz, must be that 20 Tonne of decorative gravel I helped move by barrow at the w'end.
    At least it was the right side of 25kg

At least it was the right side of 25kg

100 gr bag ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

I was in Phoenix Park today and the were flat out baling 4×4 bales if hay. 2 tractors & balers and large rake.
    The must have 50 or 60 acres knocjed for hay

I was in Phoenix Park today and the were flat out baling 4×4 bales if hay. 2 tractors & balers and large rake.

I'll have a look at that tomorrow

was there a first cut of hay done earlier.....local contractor used to do hay there for a few years

was there a first cut of hay done earlier.....local contractor used to do hay there for a few years

Didn't notice any been cut before now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Just watching the news snippet on Phil Hogans appointment.

A young lad feeding cattle meal...... in a sheep trough. Square peg round hole came to mind. Toe in the hole also came to mind! :D

Muckit wrote: »

A young lad feeding cattle meal...... in a sheep trough.

Sums it up

Muckit wrote: »

A young lad feeding cattle meal...... in a sheep trough. Square peg round hole came to mind. Toe in the hole also came to mind! :D
    Phil Hogan is very tall, or else the lad beside him is very small

Phil Hogan is very tall, or else the lad beside him is very small

Didn't know they piled **** that high

they were making hay on tymon park this week too

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement