Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wish to move to US as an engineer - what do?

Options
  • 18-08-2014 3:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some insights from people who have done this or know someone who has done it?

I have a degree in Civil Engineering (don't be fooled by my username), with one year work experience.

I understand the situation is that a US based employer has to apply for a visa on my behalf, but it costs about 600 euro to do so?
    I mean, wouldn't that be a rather difficult situation to obtain; to convince an employer to make that kind of an application on behalf of someone they never met?

Anyways, I'll refrain from expounding my queries surrounding the matter and basically wait for guidance from someone who knows a little more.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I understand the situation is that a US based employer has to apply for a visa on my behalf, but it costs about 600 euro to do so?
    I mean, wouldn't that be a rather difficult situation to obtain; to convince an employer to make that kind of an application on behalf of someone they never met?

Closer to 4000e I think.

You have answered your own question. In order to have an employer sponsor a visa you'd have to convince them that you either have a rare skill-set or the ability to do something that ordinary American civil engineers are unable to do.

Read up on the H1-b visa to get more info on the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

When did you graduate? The one -year J1 is available for a year from graduation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

When did you graduate? The one -year J1 is available for a year from graduation.

Dang,
    I didn't know that.

I graduated more than five years ago.

Regarding Ponstars post, is that the sole means to obtain immigrant status to the US (aside from DV lottery).
    No other way around it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No other way around it?

The question gets asked in this forum weekly and I'm afraid that there are few options. If the H1-B or J1 are no-go then you're left with the DV or marrying an American! Someone may bring up the L-1 visa but that's an inter-company transfer and while it's maybe possible to get after working in Ireland for a company for a few years, it's the wrong approach to take in my opinion (choosing a job on the off-chance that years later they'll sponsor you to go to the US).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, where are you getting the $600 figure from? That could be just the fee to file one particular form out of many. I hate to break it to you, but the true cost generally runs from $5000-$10,000 per application. It would be tend to be lower if the company has their own in house legal department, with immigration attorneys already on the payroll. If would tend to be higher if they have to hire outside attorneys to handle your application.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, where are you getting the $600 figure from? That could be just the fee to file one particular form out of many. I hate to break it to you, but the true cost generally runs from $5000-$10,000 per application. It would be tend to be lower if the company has their own in house legal department, with immigration attorneys already on the payroll. If would tend to be higher if they have to hire outside attorneys to handle your application.

10 g's??
    Dang....

Yes, I believe the 600 was actually just a filing fee.
    This is the H-1B visa, right?

Am I correct in saying there are only a limited number available - 65,000 per year, from about 200,000 applicants, and less if one doesn't have a masters degree or above?
    So is it correct to say that even if an application is made, there is no guarantee of being granted a visa??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

10 g's??

So is it correct to say that even if an application is made, there is no guarantee of being granted a visa??

Yes, all fees paid are non-refundable......you're lucky if it's denied at initial filing.....you could get 90% of the way through the process, and pay most of the fees before getting denied.

I moved to the US on the CR-1 visa, we had paid about 3500Euro prior to our embassy interview (which is one of the more likely stages to get denied)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Yes, all fees paid are non-refundable......you're lucky if it's denied at initial filing.....you could get 90% of the way through the process, and pay most of the fees before getting denied.

I moved to the US on the CR-1 visa, we had paid about 3500Euro prior to our embassy interview (which is one of the more likely stages to get denied)

Not true for H1b. They usually cash cheques on approval. That is my experience. By the time H1b get to embassy, all docs are reviewed and it is typically a formality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

If you can still get the one year J-1 get it ASAP. The thing about the h1-b is there is a cap and also its take 6 months to process. You must apply before April 1st and if successful, you can work from October 1st of that same year. If you can get in somewhere on the one year J-1 and then get them to sponsor your h1-b application so that you can stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

If you can still get the one year J-1 get it ASAP. The thing about the h1-b is there is a cap and also its take 6 months to process. You must apply before April 1st and if successful, you can work from October 1st of that same year. If you can get in somewhere on the one year J-1 and then get them to sponsor your h1-b application so that you can stay.

The OP graduated 5 years ago...

• Advertisement

Do you guys know if it's possible to apply for the one year J1 visa from a post graduate degree?

I'm probably doing a one year H-dip this year and would be ideal if I could go through with the above situation after graduation.

Like I said, I finished my undergraduate degree five years ago, but if I am to return to studies and get a post grad, is the one year J1 applicable??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Very simple Google search found your answer: http://www.usavisa.ie/1-year-work-visa/how-to-apply/eligibility

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It would be tend to be lower if the company has their own in house legal department, with immigration attorneys already on the payroll.

This.

For an engineer (I dont know what kind of engineer the OP is) but there may be large US Corporations with legal departments that have experience bringing over foreign workers.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Very simple Google search found your answer: http://www.usavisa.ie/1-year-work-visa/how-to-apply/eligibility

So is that yes? Doesn't specify h-dip being eligible. Would USIT be the people to call to find out?

That one year visa also has pretty hefty price tag.
    550 deposit and more?

Damn...

That one year visa also has pretty hefty price tag.
    550 deposit and more?

Damn...

I think it is a yes, it's more than an honours degree which is the minimum requirement.

Yes it's expensive. I've seen figures on here that have said €3500-€4000 (that'd be the visa fees + insurance + flights + the minimum amount needed in the bank to get started out there combined). If I were going to NY I'd add another €500-€1000, cost of living in that city is astronomical.

I've gone through J1 (twice) and H1b several times (Changing companies and renewing).
    Here is my opinion. J1 is easier to get your leg in the door and prove your worth. Visa fees are usually incurred by you so employers are less put off.
    H1b visa the employers are less reluctant. They are required by law to foot the bill for USCIS ($2.5-3K) plus any additional (Lawyers ~$2K) fees. What I have found is that they will not venture on this unless you bring something else to the table or have proven experience in the US (Via previous H1bs or J1s). I have been hired by larger firms and SME's, so I have not seen one or another with a particular abhorrence for hiring H1bs but a general nervousness/Lack of knowledge. Educate yourself as you will typically need to educate them.

The US is not quite as easy to get work/sponsorship as people think. Especially in the civil discipline I would be looking towards Canada and Oz with the current investment in infrastructure.

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    I've gone through J1 (twice) and H1b several times (Changing companies and renewing).
    Here is my opinion. J1 is easier to get your leg in the door and prove your worth. Visa fees are usually incurred by you so employers are less put off.
    H1b visa the employers are less reluctant. They are required by law to foot the bill for USCIS ($2.5-3K) plus any additional (Lawyers ~$2K) fees. What I have found is that they will not venture on this unless you bring something else to the table or have proven experience in the US (Via previous H1bs or J1s). I have been hired by larger firms and SME's, so I have not seen one or another with a particular abhorrence for hiring H1bs but a general nervousness/Lack of knowledge. Educate yourself as you will typically need to educate them.

The US is not quite as easy to get work/sponsorship as people think. Especially in the civil discipline I would be looking towards Canada and Oz with the current investment in infrastructure.

Okay, you might be able to save me a whole lot of time an hassle here.

If you're working for a specific company and then change to another, do they need to apply for another H-1B visa on your behalf?

I had thought I'd get in with a company until I could get a H-1B, then the US would basically be my oyster, as in, I could go an chill out working some part time jobs, enjoying Miami beaches and the like.

I was comparing the situation to what I have seen with OZ visa's by example, where you work to residency over two years.
    I had, until now, been assuming the H-1B situation was simply obtaining that visa and that's ones right to reside permanently in the US.

Have I got my wires crossed entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If you're working for a specific company and then change to another, do they need to apply for another H-1B visa on your behalf?

I had thought I'd get in with a company until I could get a H-1B, then the US would basically be my oyster, as in, I could go an chill out working some part time jobs, enjoying Miami beaches and the like.

I was comparing the situation to what I have seen with OZ visa's by example, where you work to residency over two years.
    I had, until now, been assuming the H-1B situation was simply obtaining that visa and that's ones right to reside permanently in the US.

I'm no expert on visas but I thought the H-1b visa, or any employer sponsored visa, is only valid if you are employed by the company who petitioned for it on your behalf. So if you leave that company then your visa is no longer valid and you would need to re apply by finding another company who will sponsor you. If you want permanent residency in the US, you need to apply for a green card after you have been granted a non immigrant visa. The whole process takes a few years.

Yes your wires are crossed! H1B let's you work in the job listed on the forms with the company that applied for it. It is valid for 3 years renewable up to a maximum of 10, however you can transfer to a new position or company in that time, you do have to get the change approved but it's not an entire re-application process. The jobs do have to meet the same criteria however so you can't just get some random part time job

You can transfer from a H1B to an e-visa and eventually a green card but it can take between 1 to 6 years depending on your qualifications and work experience, your employer also needs to make that application for you.

• Advertisement

You need to be employed or your visa is invalid. It is for specialty occupations, so it must be for engineering etc. There is a huge amount of documentation and not something you can spoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You can't compare how other countries do it, to the US. Far, far more people want to emigrate to the US, than they do Australia or Canada, so the US visa protocols are far stricter. The H1B visas do not bring any permanent residency status with them. The only one that does is the green card & that is very hard to get hard.

Yeah USIT replied to me when I had sent them an outline of my situation, requesting my CV for review for a potential "Professional Career Training Program".

Now I have no idea what that entails.
    Perhaps someone here has experience with it?

Yeah USIT replied to me when I had sent them an outline of my situation, requesting my CV for review for a potential "Professional Career Training Program".

Another google search found this:

http://www.usavisa.ie/pct

I believe if you have 5 years of experience in a professional field you can apply for a J1 to take a position that would allow you to further your skills in that field.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    H1b visa the employers are less reluctant. They are required by law to foot the bill for USCIS ($2.5-3K) plus any additional (Lawyers ~$2K) fees. What I have found is that they will not venture on this unless you bring something else to the table or have proven experience in the US (Via previous H1bs or J1s).

Hi Darren,

I am looking to go to the US and after looking for 3-4 weeks am finding it difficult to find much interest in sponsoring me for a H1B(not completely unexpected - I know it is a tough ask).

With regard to the J1, could I ask you some advice? I have a degree and about 7 years work experience. Would I still be able to get a decent paying job in my field through this process? How much work does the host company have to do to show that it will be a "traineeship" and not just a regular job.

I (finally) have a company that is interested in me and is going to investigate visa options but I suspect when they realise the timeframes involved in H1B, they may cool off. It would be great if I could suggest the J1(PCT) to them but I don't know if it is feasible for them to structure what would be a normal job as a traineeship? Do you have any opinion on whether this is easy or hard for a company to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, once on this J1, can you then try to convince the company (or another company) to sponsor you for a H1B for when the 18 months is up? Is there a requirement to return home?

Thanks

Advertisement