Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help picking a dog breed

• 18-08-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I know nothing about dogs, my fiancé on the other hand does, but i'd like to try and make this kind of surprising for her when we do get one.
    I'm probably going to get all sorts of abuse, but we're looking for a medium sized dog.
    She doesn't like small dogs and I don't like big dogs.
    We have a house with a normal semi detached back garden.
    We have 2 cats who are playful and friendly enough as cats go.
    We're living in a suburb.
    The reason I said i'd ask here is I don't even have any idea of what breeds i should be looking at, I'm clueless.
    Like maybe something thats like 2 feet high when standing?
    We don't really have the space for a big dog to roam and stretch.
    We're going to end up rescuing one so i'm keeping my Facebook page subscribed to all the local rescue charities.
    She used to have an English Sheepdog, and has mentioned Akitas a lot (but I don't want to have to "buy" a dog when we could rescue one, our cats are rescue cats and we love them all the more cause of it)
    Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you don't like big dogs then an akita isn't for you.

Not being funny but there's any number of dogs currently in shelters around Ireland would you not just go and visit some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Firstly, why do you think you will get abuse here? I for one have 1000 times more respect for you coming here to discuss breeds before doing what alot of people do (just buy a dog they like and then have to give it away). Second, it is admirable that you are going to rescue a dog and not buy a new one. I know a good bit about certain breeds but they are more bigger breeds. There are people here that will be able to advise you further on your choice.

Few questions though:

1) You looking for a dog that sheds or not? As an owner of Labs, getting used to have hair everywhere in the house is something most people would freak at.
    2) Is there areas nearby that you can run a medium sized dog? A backyard wont suit any medium sized dog on its own, the dog will still need to be run and walked regularly.

Also, the two dogs you mention above are BIG dogs. Medium sized dogs would be Cocker Spaniels, Beagles etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

logik wrote: »
    Few questions though:
    1) You looking for a dog that sheds or not? As an owner of Labs, getting used to have hair everywhere in the house is something most people would freak at

We have Norwegian Forest Cat / Russian Blue mix.... and she sheds Grey hair everywhere :mad:
    She's very pretty, but now i don't get to have nice clean clothes http://i.imgur.com/1ePKwx9.jpg?1
    Non shedding would be ideal i guess

Dunno if this makes any difference.... and might be a dumb questions.... but do shedding dogs make your house more likely to smell like dog.
    It's just that some people i know who have dogs have a smelly-dog-house and i can't work out if they are just manky dirty human beings or if this is something breed/shedding related
    logik wrote: »
    2) Is there areas nearby that you can run a medium sized dog? A backyard wont suit any medium sized dog on its own, the dog will still need to be run and walked regularly.

Yes, there's a large green area at the end of the road and plenty of parks in/around where we live. My fiancé goes walking/jogging lots so she would happily bring the dog with her to those longer walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Now, it's not something that is completely accurate but have you ever tried a quiz like this? http://www.animalplanet.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds/questionnaire/page1.html :P Keeping in mind there are some quite exotic breeds mentioned compared to what we have over here!

Perhaps tell us what breeds pop up for you and maybe some people here would be able to give you an idea of whether they may be suitable for your lifestyle or just general experiences from other users here.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I got:

English Cocker Spaniel 96% match

I kind of went with middle of the road answers for the most part. I've never had a do so I'm kind of shooting blind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

I have a lab collie mix so she's not full size, she was a rescue of sorts - the rescue dog a pure bred lab was her mum and she was pregnant when she was adopted by a friend of mine so myself and my dad adopted one of her pups each. Lola sheds everywhere but her sister who is black rather than golden sheds far less - when I'm minding susie the ratio of blonde to black hair is 2:1 Lola doesn't smell at all but my aunts dog a miniature schnauzer who was chosen due to allergies and non shed coat smells far more dog like. But then that could be because she's not walked as much as lola so getting fresh air at her fur? I'm not sure.

If you are keen on rescuing, which fair play to you for doing, would you consider fostering with a view to adopting. I happened to become a fosterer last autumn/winter because I found a dumped dog (she was a Samoyed collie mix and didn't shed at all) all of the shelters were full/couldn't help so I took care of her but couldn't keep. Her as she hated my cat and would stalk the door of the room that the cat would be taking refuge in. I crate trained her and no amount of distraction, behaviourist intervention would make her live happily with the cat so when I found a perfect home and trained in the owners she went to live there. But still comes for her holidays with me. So it's something to think about when adopting a dog into a cat home.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

Hi Cormac
    Firstly I assume one of you will be at home to take care of the dog, if you are both out working don't get a dog, it's not fair.

In my opinion you are going about this the wrong way. You don't go to a rescue centre looking for a certain breed, you go to the centre and find a dog you like, which could be any breed or none. If it is a recognized breed then you can look it up and see if it's characteristics would suit your circumstances.
    Also, if your fiance is the one who knows about dogs I think it might be better to let her pick the dog as she will probably be the one looking after it.

Well it's kind of a case of managing expectations.
    Like if we rock up to the <snip> and she sees a big Sheep dog, I'm done for, everything other then a "yes" will be heartbreak :pac:

We both work 8 hours a day
    It would be kind of vital that it gets along with the cats as they were there 1st to be fair, but i know it's hard to plan for that.

I can't foster any pets.... cat's or dogs.... I get too attached.... Even if I think i hear a kitten moaning outside sometimes i'm thinking "oh god i hope thats just adult cat-sex noises and not a little lonely kitten, cause if it is a small kitten i must adopt it and love it and mind it" etc etc etc.

I'm going to end up owning a farm if these trends continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Cormac... wrote: »

We both work 8 hours a day

I am hoping you guys work shift, but if the poor dog is left for 8 hours each day, I think that is unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Your situation is screaming RESCUE! You are not set on a breed/type and are open to suggestion, a puppy may be too much for you guys and you need to know the temperament of the dog before it comes home (needs to get on with cats etc.) - there are thousands of dogs in rescues around the country looking for homes that would be ideal for your situation.

Look online for local ones, most will let you visit and have a look (and you can let them know your lifestyle before you go out, so you can find the perfect dog). The dogs will be assessed for temperment so you will know what you are getting before you bring it home (good rescues want to get dogs forever homes, so will try their hardest to match owner to dog), they are often fully vaxed, wormed, neutered etc. so you won't have to worry about that and rescue dogs make fantastic pets (99% of the time they end up in rescues due to the owners fault).

• Advertisement

Chinasea wrote: »
    I am hoping you guys work shift, but if the poor dog is left for 8 hours each day, I think that is unfair.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Springer spaniel great dogs but need a lot of exercise. I rescued one myself wandering the streets skinny as a stick. You could see her rib cage.
    Springers Have a lot of energy and are a very smart breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Springer require an awful lot of exercise, and stimulation, otherwise they get bored, and will wreck a garden. At least one very long walk every day (with some time off leash).
    There are non shed/ low odour breeds you could check out, and I would seriously think about a rescue greyhound.......but the cat may cause a problem there.

Ok, a couple of points:

I'm getting a rescue dog, thats 100% decided, even if it's a JRT but thanks for all your supportive words on the subject.

I'm not too pushed about picking a breed that doesn't shed or has low odour.... obviously those would be positives if i had a choice, but I'd put more stock in picking a dog who would be happy, so if it requires a crazy amount of exercise (sounds like a Springer Spaniel does) that we can't fulfil then I'd be more inclined to pick a breed I know we can make happy/happier.

I'm not gonna lie to myself or anyone else by saying he'll have 2x 45 minute walks 5 days a week and 4 hours in a park Sat/Sun as I know thats not going to happen.

Generally we work 8-5 and 10-7 or thereabouts, so yeah, we'd be out of the house for 7 hours a day
    On the subject of not getting a dog due to us working 40 hour weeks, all I can say is 2 things.

1) Honestly i'd say a LOT of dog owners are in this scenario and their dogs don't seem unhealthy, unhappy as a result. Granted they may not be 100% delighted and healthy 100% of the time..... but i'm a human.... and i'm never 100% happy and 100% healthy :P
    2) I think it would have a better life being with us for the 120+ hours a week we won't be working, at least happier then in a pound or rescue centre or pound or whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Chinasea wrote: »

Disagree, plenty of dogs with owners who work full time, just a case of managing your routine, walking dog before work and after work, doggy day care or a dog walker 2 or 3 times a week maybe, it's perfectly do-able, it's the modern world, you just get a dog who is comfortable with this arrangement so not a puppy or young high energy dog.

Just to add, a greyhound or some other sighthound might suit you, would you consider a grey, they are total couch potatoes and so very many of them in rescue being overlooked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

the problem with asking on the internet is you tend to get some extreme answers, depending on the dog they can be absolutely fine left alone for a good while in the day, I have a Border Collie and a Labrador, we used to take them to my mother in laws every day when we went out to work but they are actually happier being left in our house, they have their routines.

Go to the shelters meet the dogs, discuss it in advance with your partner, there should be no problem admitting that you are not feeling like getting a large dog, they can be a lot of work and she should understand.

As for as medium sized dogs go, I find Beagles great, they have great energy, they can take as long a walk as you can throw at them, but they don't get stroppy if they are not walked to exhaustion (like my border collie), they are very sturdy and as far as I have experienced they have great attitudes.
    On the other hand, they do tend to have one hell of a loud howl, they shed quite a bit and they are very prone to follow their nose.
    Any dog, shedding or non shedding is going to require a bit more cleaning of the house on your side, but the place wont necessarily smell too doggy as long as you keep on top of it.

Mid sized spaniels seem like a lot of fun too (although I have only ever had a king charles)

Best of luck hope you pick a winner!

Maybe not a bad idea to come back in year and tell all how it is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 peanut14

If you're thinking about getting a rescue dog I would suggest going to visit one of the shelters to talk to the staff there as I have found them very helpful in the past. Not sure where you are located but I know the staff in <snip> and <snip> are really helpful and will help you find the perfect dog for you.

I think going into it with an open mind about breeds is the best way to be, you never know what type of dog you're going to fall in love with so it's definitely best to keep an open mind!

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Maybe not a bad idea to come back in year and tell all how it is going.

Gladly.

I kind of hoped I'd be able to surprise my fiancé with the dog, but honestly, and thankfully, now I see that's not possible.
    There's too many points to consult and agree on, too many variables, breeds, things to consider etc.
    I'd rather have an educated decision made then the initial look of surprise on her face.

Now I just need to sell the idea to my landlord :(

I can't believe the amount of people on here that think it's ok to leave a dog alone 7 hours a day. Dogs are pack animals and they need companionship. If you go to a reputable rescue centre and tell them you are out 7 hours a day they should not give you a dog.
    I know you won't listen but just in case, have you considered a goldfish?

• Advertisement

I can't believe the amount of people on here that think it's ok to leave a dog alone 7 hours a day. Dogs are pack animals and they need companionship. If you go to a reputable rescue centre and tell them you are out 7 hours a day they should not give you a dog.

Not really constructive as I've already stated I have 2 cats.

But If we, and others who work, took your advice where would all the dogs be?
    Back in shelters? Put down? In cages?
    I appreciate peoples sentiment in saying dogs need "round the clock care/attention" by the sounds of it... but this is also the real world where people work. Neither of us is going to leave work for a dog, flipping hell people don't even do that for their kids.

Ideally I'd hope my OH father might pop out twice a week to take him for a walk as he is retired and also we have a housemate who would be around the house 16 hours a day.

Short answer.....
    (and I really didn't want to have to put it as bluntly or heartlessly as this but I'm trying to make my point)
    For the rescue dog: it's our place or it can stay in the shelter.

Anyway, back on topic, does anyone know any good resources online where I could peruse dog breeds maybe?
    Like broken down by size/temperament/diet/exercise?
    I did a quick google but i'm just hitting wall after wall of text

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Gobethewall, give it a rest.
    Apart from your definition of a reputable rescue being rather divergent from most reputable rescue's definition of it (almost all excellent rescues I know would jump at the chance of adopting a dog to the home op describes), the condescension in your post will not be tolerated here, so either post respectfully and helpfully, or don't post.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB

Cormac... wrote: »
    Anyway, back on topic, does anyone know any good resources online where I could peruse dog breeds maybe?
    Like broken down by size/temperament/diet/exercise?
    I did a quick google but i'm just hitting wall after wall of text

You tube......"dog breeds 101" will give you a reasonable idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can I remind people that naming individual rescues on-thread is a breach of the forum charter. Any recommendations by PM only please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

It's been pointed out to me by a friend that I should mention we have a 40ftx40ft back garden and I have no problem buying a dog house for during the daytime on weekdays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Have you thought about getting a dog walker for during the week when your OH's Dad can't do it.

Takes the pressure off you, breaks up the day for the dog and he gets his exercise. Big gardens are no substitute for the mental stimulation a dog gets from his walk.

Also something to think about - there are certain breeds that I wouldn't leave alone outside for the day and one of those is any kind of sighthound so even though they'd tick all the other boxes, staying outside would not be one of them. If you are sorting someone to visit the dog though then there's no reason they can't be inside.

Yeah I reckon we could somehow organise a system so he/she is stimulated at least once a day while we're at work by someone

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Cormac, I find www.dogbreedinfo.com is a great website. If you have a few breeds in mind, check them here and they tell you their temperament and all relevant information!

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭F1 fanatic

You cant go wrong with a beagle.

Great temperament, Very clever.

Advertisement