Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a property with planning permission for extension

Options
  • 18-08-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

I will be looking to sell my house in the next 12-18 months and what I'm wondering is whether it would be worth my while getting planning permission (Full or Outline) for building a double story extension to the side. I would be hoping that at worst it would make the house more saleable and at best that it would boost the selling price. The house is an end of terrace in Dublin 12 and we currently have a garage to the side and a side passage to the side of that. I know there is a cost to this (Although seeing as it won't be for my benefit, I wouldn't be looking at getting the best architects etc for the design and planning application) so I'm just wondering whether I should bother with this or is this not something that people care about when buying a property.

Many thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Arc solutions

It very much depends on the specific house and the current state it's in. If you got planning for something that accommodates a growing family and suits modern living it might be worth it as you would be selling the idea and concept with the house. If you get planning for something that nobody would want then it's just a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

it may cost you 1-2k grand to get the plans and permission through - that could easily be made back if you attract enough extra interest in the house and include the plans in the brochure - from my experience alot of prospective buyers don't have enough imagination when looking at houses, though a good EA could also sell this point without you having to fork out the spell it out

Advertisement