Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tattoos.

• 18-08-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭

Why do people get Tattoos ? I have always been perplexed as to why some
    have this desire to self-mutilate.Is it regarded as a form of adornment or enhancement or merely a means of self-
    expression?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Quite a few reasons.
    If you don't want one, don't get one.
    It harms no one if some has a tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I love me tattoos ,it's my body and I will cry if I want to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

why not ask in the tattoo forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

Following fashion. Be a rebel and don't get one...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yay this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I've wondered myself. Its something you will literally take to the grave. And when you see the choices of tat you start to know "didn't think that through, did you" or "How ****ed up were you when you did that".
    If you happen to be middle aged and you've lost you loved one - I completely understand turning part of your body into a memorial.
    If you're 17 and have "Justin Bieber is God" tattooed on your ass, what will that mean when you're 80 and being taken to the bathroom by the nice people in the nursing home.
    No answers, just confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

chicorytip wrote: »
    have this desire to self-mutilate.Is it regarded as a form of adornment or enhancement or merely a means of self-
    expression?

Why do you get your hair cut? Isn't that self mutilation?
    There's lots of reasons to get tattoos, I have some, I wouldn't get more, but don't really regret the ones I have. I don't understand why people get them in stupid places like the neck, hands, face or any other place they can't be covered though. Unless they like the dole that is.

Let's cut to the posts which will be contained within this wonderful thread, shall we?
    • People with tattoos are scumbags
    • People with tattoos are stupid for destroying their body
    • It might look good now, but it will look stupid when they're 50
    • People with tattoos lack self confidence
    • Tramp stamps are aptly named
    • They're ruining their job prospects
    • I don't mind the ones that mean something, but stars and butterflies are tacky
    • It's my body and I can do with it what I want
    • I'm going to be old and wrinkly anyway, I may aswell be old, wrinkly, and interesting
    • I wouldn't work somewhere that judged me on my tattoos so it makes no difference
    • I prefer people with tattoos to people who judge others on how they look
    • It's art
    • My tattoos are nice, but other peoples aren't

Think that's the most of it.

Let's cut to the posts which will be contained within this wonderful thread, shall we?
    • I don't mind the ones that mean something, but stars and butterflies are tacky
    • I'm going to be old and wrinkly anyway, I may aswell be old, wrinkly, and interesting
    • I wouldn't work somewhere that judged me on my tattoos so it makes no difference
    • It's art

Is the "Kurt Lives" tattoo getting a bit itchy at this point ?
    Seriously, I know its been done and dusted but its Leaving Cert season. Lots of our young glorious future leaders of society are getting wasted and considering a tattoo as a Cool Thing Which Has Never Ever Been Done Before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

What's more shocking to me is how obsessed some people are about other people and what they do with themselves.
    It's my ultimate pet peeve and reminds me of the busybody and local cúnt in every village who talks and judges everyone. Sure who cares?

And no, I don't have tattoos either if it seems like I'm being defensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

All tattoos are awful. Except mine. Mine are cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

D'anybody else read dat as tayto's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Self mutilation? Jesus wept.

D'anybody else read that as tayto's.

Idea of the day. I am now going to buy some serious levels of vodka and have a bag of Taytos tattooed on my arse. It will be a post modern work of art that makes a change from Chinese words of wisdom,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'Tats' - must be one of the most annoying abbreviations in existence.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

• It's art
    • My tattoos are nice, but other peoples aren't

You left out "I pity those who get a faddy, déclassé tattoo like some Chinese script. My Mexican sugar skull shall forever be relevant".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I like the way some English say this word. Like "Tatt-oooh"

Is the "Kurt Lives" tattoo getting a bit itchy at this point ?.

I'm not that old :(

Ah who am I kidding :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭SaoirseRose

It doesn't really matter why they get them, they're on their body - not yours.

I'm not that old :(

Ah who am I kidding :/

It was meant in jest:P...and I too was showing my age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I think Whoopsie covered it quite well but meh tis my body, I quite like how they look on me and me having tattoos isn't exactly causing massive harm to anybody else now is it.

Yet again people finding it their sudden business to comment on the appearance of others in this image obsessed society of ours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't much care as long as nobody anywhere within earshot ever explains the reason for their tattoo.

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't much care as long as nobody anywhere within earshot ever explains the reason for their tattoo.

Christ, yes....its like looking at baby photos or holiday snaps. The urge to doze off is overwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

o1s1n wrote: »
    'Tats' - must be one of the most annoying abbreviations in existence.

It fills me with a pretty serious rage.

I would question a friendship with someone who uses the term

It fills me with a pretty serious rage.

I would question a friendship with someone who uses the term

In speech its annoying, on a keyboard its convenient. That's why I used it.

In speech its annoying, on a keyboard its convenient. That's why I used it.

I totes agree. I h8 typing stuf dat is 2 long, lik tatoo

I totes agree. I h8 typing stuf dat is 2 long, lik tatoo

Missed the all important 3rd t. Which is why tat is easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

My tattoos are ****. Do I give a fiddlers? Nope :)

Missed the all important 3rd t. Which is why tat is easier.

Irony is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

expression?

I am sailor,its our trademark and tradition,and i am proud of it.

Irony is...

..lost on me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

If one is a member of a world famous rock or metal band they look awesome, otherwise your just a sad wannabe :), who cares, if someone wants one then fair play for getting one, their own business

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I just wouldn't get one. I feel it is an assault on my culture. When I see other Irish people with them, I instantly know that they take said culture for granted, and don't value it as much as I do. Therefore, I cant help but bear that in mind when I'm dealing with them. Call that being judgemental if you will, but I didn't kick you out of the club, YOU chose to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

newmug wrote: »
    I just wouldn't get one. I feel it is an assault on my culture. When I see other Irish people with them, I instantly know that they take said culture for granted, and don't value it as much as I do. Therefore, I cant help but bear that in mind when I'm dealing with them. Call that being judgemental if you will, but I didn't kick you out of the club, YOU chose to leave.

So I'm not proper Irish then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It's against Irish culture to get tattoos? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Some of them can look pretty cool, saw a sleeve on a girl recently and it looked class.

Irish sailors have been getting them for centuries. Ourselves and the English picked it up off the islanders (someone else will know better) when we went off world conquering. So while I'm in the "not in a million years" camp regarding myself - there is nothing culturally negative about them. I'm not going to refuse someone a job because they have a tattoo. Within reason - no swastikas or offensive crap but most parlours won't do that in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

If anyone is in the mood of a good giggle, this is what constitutes this poster's idea of Irish culture:
    There's very few genuine Irish people left in Ireland. Some second generation Irish-Americans and Irish-English are more Irish than the natives.
    Are genuine Irish people the ones that wear Aran sweaters, get misty-eyed at 'A Nation Once Again' and bless themselves to ward off the banshee?
    Pretty much. Eventhough you're being snide, that's the culture I'm referring to, yes.

:pac:

Nice try!

Just another side to the discussion, I often see photos of some folk who happen to pose in a certain way just to accommodate their tattoo, I'd imagine there are plenty of people who do not feel the need to do this but when I do see it, I can't help but have an epic cringe moment for them. Maybe vainity and or narcisism play a part for some peoples decisions to get them.
    I wouldn't get one myself, have a lovely birthmark on my neck.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Tattoos have also been used in marketing and advertising with companies paying people to have logos of brands like HBO, Red Bull, ASOS.com, and Sailor Jerry's rum tattooed in their bodies.[41] This practice is known as "skinvertising".[42]

B.T.'s Smokehouse, a barbecue restaurant located in Massachusetts, offered customers free meals for life if they had the logo of the establishment tattooed on a visible part of their bodies. Nine people took the business up on the offer.[43]

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Lads stop the presses, it appears that DeValera is alive and well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Just another side to the discussion, I often see photos of some folk who happen to pose in a certain way just to accommodate their tattoo, I'd imagine there are plenty of people who do not feel the need to do this but when I do see it, I can't help but have an epic cringe moment for them. Maybe vainity and or narcisism play a part for some peoples decisions to get them.
    I wouldn't get one myself, have a lovely birthmark on my neck.:)

People in short sleeves in the depth of winter.

kneemos wrote: »
    People in short sleeves in the depth of winter.

People can wear what they want when they want, but regarding having photos taken or this ridiculous selfie fad we are going through, Ive seen many a poser making sure their shoulder/arm/wrist etc are perfectly positioned, and obviously intentionally positioned to make sure the tat gets it's photo time, just an observation, each to their own I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Why do people get Their ears pierced ? I have always been perplexed as to why some
    expression?

Would you ask your Mother/Sister/Grandmother that question?

See how silly your "self mutilation" remark looks now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

expression?

They probably think it looks good, who cares really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I am neither an obsessive nor a busybody
    just merely expressing my own particular
    point of view.I defend the basic right to one's bodily integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

Iv a couple and love them. They each remind me of a diffrent time in life. Sure they'll look crap when I'm 60 but fook that ya only live once and Im sure il be bald and fat by then anyways so what odds?

Having said that none of mine are visible in trousers and a tshirt. As much as I love them I'm not thick enough to not realise the stigma they still carry with the generation before mine and as such would never get any I can't hide. I know a few mates got them when they wer younger in really obvious places to be "rebels" that "don't care If people don't like them it's my body they just havta deal with it!!" And nowadays can't understand why certain (generally) older folk automatically assume there skangers. 95% of people I meet in life wouldn't think I had any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

realies wrote: »
    Tattoos have also been used in marketing and advertising with companies paying people to have logos of brands like HBO, Red Bull, ASOS.com, and Sailor Jerry's um tattooed in their bodies.[41] This practice is known as "skinvertising".[42]

B.T.'s Smokehouse, a barbecue restaurant located in Massachusetts, offered customers free meals for life if they had the logo of the establishment tattooed on a visible part of their bodies. Nine people took the business up on the offer.[43]

:-)

:D

That Sailor Jerry lad finally made his mark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Don't have any. Was going to get one when i was 17 but didnt in the end. Think it cost a lot or something. Glad i havent now. But tatts do look good on some people. Not so good on others. Each to their own. Judging someone on the basis of a tattoo says more about you that the tatted person. Although some people have awful ones, feel sorry for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement