Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started in applying for 2015.

Options
  • 18-08-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

This post is just about gathering some information on applying for third level education. I'll explain some basic facts about me and my situation. I am a mature student (31at the moment, will be 32 if I enter next year), I live in Northern Ireland (near Newry) and I have a disability. That being Asperger syndrome (ASD).
    I would like to apply for 2015 start, my favourite first choice is DIT ordinary level biosciences. I have gone back to college in the last few years and have qualifications that are up to date etc. I have many questions but my main ones right now are about grants/loans etc and who do I email/contact first off to give me details etc. I understand I fall under at least 3 different categories and this fact is confusing me slightly. Also I am not totally sure which route I have to take in applying CAO or directly to DIT. Please help an eager learner with any guidance possible. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr. L

Near Newry town; in the county Down,
    One Monday in mid-Aug-ust,
    From a boreen green came a sweet cailín
    Looking for information with regards to returning to education!

Come on people!!

All I can really offer is that applications to CAO open in and around the 5th of November. I would guess that you can then apply, as a mature student, to CAO for the course you mentioned. You should/could/may have already check(ed) out the SUSI and CAO websites…

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

As you are coming from Northern Ireland you would need to check with Student Universal Support Ireland SUSI whether or not you are eligible for funding from them. You can check via the website:http://www.susi.ie

Contacting DIT admissions for information on fees and charges, open days etc would also be a good idea: http://www.dit.ie/

also have a look at the AHEAD website: http://www.ahead.ie/. They are the Association for Higher Education Access & Disability and there is a lot of info on their site about disability supports for education.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 missneeve

Yes thank you for the helpfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Hi Misneeve,

You could also consider Bioscience in DkIT. The college have recently updated their access routes for applicants from Northern Ireland and the Science dept. is very supportive of students with varying learning styles and needs (I'm sure DIT are too but I have no personal experience of them!). The DkIT open day is on Friday October 17, you could come along to meet some of the current bioscience students and lecturers and see what you think. It would also be worth talking to the Access Office staff about the details of the application process for NI residents and available grants etc.

Best of luck with your return to education, ASD may well be a big help, not a disability, in your chosen field.

Advertisement