Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL or LIT

• 18-08-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all, I applied to the cao this year after doing a year in lcfe(limerick college of further education) I was originally going to do a second year in lcfe and was told by my class tutor to put in an application to lit as well just to see. I got my first choice of software development offered today. I've been wondering if I should take it or not. One of the things I've been considering is if I should have put an application through for ul as well. I live closer to UL and know the area better also the discount on the gym would be nice.
    Just wondering would it make much difference job opportunity wise which of the two I got my degree from?

What are your thoughts on both colleges? Would you think it would be worth doing another year in lcfe and applying to ul next year or just going with LIT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Destroyer Of Worlds

UL has co-op, you've have a better standing going into a job if you do an appropriate work placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭steve3194

UL has co-op, you've have a better standing going into a job if you do an appropriate work placement.

The course in LIT has work placement in year 3. Is that the same thing?

Yeah it is, but ULs one is more established so I'd venture a guess that ULs would be better, wouldnt be a bad idea to research possible work placements. Personally I think UL is better, more options, bigger campus clubs and socs etc but LIT has good facilities for software development. Considering youre nearer to UL it would be more convenient but do you want to wait another year?

Yeah it is, but ULs one is more established so I'd venture a guess that ULs would be better, wouldnt be a bad idea to research possible work placements. Personally I think UL is better, more options, bigger campus clubs and socs etc but LIT has good facilities for software development. Considering youre nearer to UL it would be more convenient but do you want to wait another year?

I don't really know to be honest. Still haven't found out whether or not I'll receive a grant so I'm not sure. Did you go to ul?

No one is going to make the decision for you boss. as i said its best to research both and get as much information, at the end of the day if youre willing to work for it youll come out with a good degree. but where you go is up to you. Im UL almuni but some of my family has gone to LIT and UL and UL seems to edge out LIT.

• Advertisement

No one is going to make the decision for you boss. as i said its best to research both and get as much information, at the end of the day if youre willing to work for it youll come out with a good degree. but where you go is up to you. Im UL almuni but some of my family has gone to LIT and UL and UL seems to edge out LIT.

Ya I understand that. Just looking for others opinions. Thanks for the help anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

A degree from any University is going to look better than one from an IT to any potential employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

5uspect wrote: »
    A degree from any University is going to look better than one from an IT to any potential employer.

I know plenty of people from LIT who do absolutely just as well if not better than many of the students from UL. Albeit I would still prefer UL over LIT for personal reasons, but there is nothing wrong with LIT at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

5uspect wrote: »

I wouldnt say that at all, it depends on the subject. ITs are generally better for lab hours in science subjects.
    As far as doing CS in LIT goes, I have a friend that does it there and who's course was a lot more practical based than a similar degree in UL.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I know plenty of people from LIT who do absolutely just as well if not better than many of the students from UL. Albeit I would still prefer UL over LIT for personal reasons, but there is nothing wrong with LIT at all :)
    iLaura wrote: »
    I wouldnt say that at all, it depends on the subject. ITs are generally better for lab hours in science subjects.
    As far as doing CS in LIT goes, I have a friend that does it there and who's course was a lot more practical based than a similar degree in UL.

I'm sure you do know someone doing well for themselves, this says more about the individual than for the institution. I have had to deal with plenty of lazy useless students in a few different institutions (some world leading). I have also seen plenty of very hard working students.

I'm sure LIT is a fine place to study, the graduates I've seen from there have been excellent. However, a potential employer is still more likely to consider the University graduate. It's not fair, it's pretty crap to be honest, but this is the way an employer will probably look at it. If you have the choice go with UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

If you have the offer from LIT and nothing from UL then I don't see how your going to get to go to UL at this late stage?

If I was you I would take the LIT offer. It's a fine college. Getting a discount on the gym is hardly something that should really factor into this choice (and I think you would get the discount as a student of LIT in the UL gym anyway, as it is a STUDENT RATE).

I've been to both , if you had an offer from both I would say take UL. But you don't. So forget it.

Once you have a job and have been working for a few years it really doesn't matter if your degree is LIT or UL.

Mossess wrote: »
    If you have the offer from LIT and nothing from UL then I don't see how your going to get to go to UL at this late stage?

If I was you I would take the LIT offer. It's a fine college. Getting a discount on the gym is hardly something that should really factor into this choice (and I think you would get the discount as a student of LIT in the UL gym anyway, as it is a STUDENT RATE).

I've been to both , if you had an offer from both I would say take UL. But you don't. So forget it.

Once you have a job and have been working for a few years it really doesn't matter if your degree is LIT or UL.

I meant doing another year in lcfe and applying through cao again next year. Its mainly the cost of running my car weekly and the fact I'm more familier with the area around ul. Gym isn't a big deal but just a small perk. Ill probably go with Lit anyway provided I can come up with the money. Just wanted to make sure its the right decision. Its where I'll be for the next four years after all. Anyway, thanks for your input/advise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

steve3194 wrote: »
    I meant doing another year in lcfe and applying through cao again next year. Its mainly the cost of running my car weekly and the fact I'm more familier with the area around ul. Gym isn't a big deal but just a small perk. Ill probably go with Lit anyway provided I can come up with the money. Just wanted to make sure its the right decision. Its where I'll be for the next four years after all. Anyway, thanks for your input/advise

Your making the right choice on LIT, If you really want to spend another year in Education I'd suggest a post grad or a masters after the initial 4 years.

Advertisement