Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby sleeping bag with or without arms?

Options
  • 18-08-2014 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

My little fellas room tends to get fairly nippy at night (even with the heating on, it's like the heat just leaks out :( ) and coming into the winter now, I've been looking at new sleeping bags for him. The ones I've been using up until now are all armless and I have noticed that his arms and hands tend to get chilly by morning time. I came across some sleep sacks on the asda website yesterday evening that have arms and look incredibly snuggly and warm. However, when I googled them, I came across a few articles advising against them, saying that baby sleeping bags are usually armless because it stops the baby overheating. Apparently, a baby's best way of losing excess heat is through the arms and head. So now I'm kind of put off the sleeved ones.Has anyone used them or heard anything negative about them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Well that is the negative thing about them... they may over heat baby. The indicator if a baby is cold or warm is to touch their tummy or their back and if it's warm then they're warm. Their limbs are going to be colder than their torso because it's the last place blood is pumped. Most babies with blankets keep their arms outside the blanket too, so it's the same as having no arms with a sleeping bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I put our little chap in a sleeveless Grobag last night and he loved it. I did this partly because it turned chilly yesterday but also because he is unbelievably active and is already kicking off the blanket at three weeks old. I've got a few but I used a 1.5 tog one last night for not very cold weather. It's a lovely Bebe Bonito one which I picked up in TK Maxx for a tenner and Id love an adult size one! Anyway, his little hands were chilly but when I changed him before his night feed he was lovely and snug. Just get one with a lower tog until it turns really chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My little fellas room tends to get fairly nippy at night (even with the heating on, it's like the heat just leaks out :( ) and coming into the winter now, I've been looking at new sleeping bags for him. The ones I've been using up until now are all armless and I have noticed that his arms and hands tend to get chilly by morning time. I came across some sleep sacks on the asda website yesterday evening that have arms and look incredibly snuggly and warm. However, when I googled them, I came across a few articles advising against them, saying that baby sleeping bags are usually armless because it stops the baby overheating. Apparently, a baby's best way of losing excess heat is through the arms and head. So now I'm kind of put off the sleeved ones.Has anyone used them or heard anything negative about them?

Mrspostman i used grosuits last winter under his grobag. They are basically babygrows with padded arms. That's what the gro company recommend with a 2.5 tog grobag. Or you could just buy a 3.5 tog grobag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Merkin wrote: »
    I put our little chap in a sleeveless Grobag last night and he loved it. I did this partly because it turned chilly yesterday but also because he is unbelievably active and is already kicking off the blanket at three weeks old. I've got a few but I used a 1.5 tog one last night for not very cold weather. It's a lovely Bebe Bonito one which I picked up in TK Maxx for a tenner and Id love an adult size one! Anyway, his little hands were chilly but when I changed him before his night feed he was lovely and snug. Just get one with a lower tog until it turns really chilly.

Looking forward to getting my little one into a sleeping bag. She's still too small though - was reading the FAQs on Grobag website and it mentioned 8 lb 8 oz and 10lb (i think, can't remember exact details), either way my little one will be too small for a few weeks yet. Is your son in a moses basket? If so, does sleeping bag fit? They always strike me as being sooooo long!!!

He weighed 8lb14oz at his little weigh in last week so he'd put on half a pound in a week Ocean! The Grobag is for 0-6months but the label says anything over 8lb8oz is fine. Yes, he's still in the Moses basket but I'd say we will only get another week or so out of it, he's very long! The Grobag is a lovely fit in the basket as it's very wide at the bottom as opposed to very long like some of the ones I've seen. He looks SOOO cute in it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Millem wrote: »
    Mrspostman i used grosuits last winter under his grobag. They are basically babygrows with padded arms. That's what the gro company recommend with a 2.5 tog grobag. Or you could just buy a 3.5 tog grobag

I 2nd the gro suits, i got them last winter and my LO stayed in them from Oct-April (end of). He was snug in them, I bought them from an Irish website Hip Baby. Alternatively you could use long sleeved vests under a normal babygro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ariana` wrote: »
    I 2nd the gro suits, i got them last winter and my LO stayed in them from Oct-April (end of). He was snug in them, I bought them from an Irish website Hip Baby. Alternatively you could use long sleeved vests under a normal babygro.

I found them great :) I had a long sleeved vest under them during the winter. The sizing is very generous, I would say bigger than m and s which was great for us :D

I bought mine on amazon during a family event but I saw them 2 weeks ago soooo cheap on there maybe £7!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks Milem I'll definitely have to check out the grosuits :) I didn't realise that the sleeping bags went up to 3.5 tog, I thought 2.5 was the warmest. Apart from that very warm weather a few weeks ago (when he was in a 1.5 tog), he has been in a 2.5 tog the whole time and never once has he felt even remotely hot so I'm dreading the weather getting colder. His room is like the bermuda triangle of the house, it's either like a sauna or a freezer, no in between. I just can't figure it out.

Ocean blue we put him in a sleeping bag from birth and he was only 7lb4oz. I can't remember what brand of sleeping bag it was, but it was safe from 7lb I think. The phn told me when she called that it wasn't the length of the bag that mattered (we used to tuck ours under the crib mattress), as long as the baby couldn't slip down through the neck and arm holes that it was safe. Our bag had extra snapper buttons under the armholes so that he couldn't slide into it. They are a godsend as he never stops kicking his legs, even in his sleep, so no chance a blanket would stay on him for long!

Thanks Milem I'll definitely have to check out the grosuits :) I didn't realise that the sleeping bags went up to 3.5 tog, I thought 2.5 was the warmest. Apart from that very warm weather a few weeks ago (when he was in a 1.5 tog), he has been in a 2.5 tog the whole time and never once has he felt even remotely hot so I'm dreading the weather getting colder. His room is like the bermuda triangle of the house, it's either like a sauna or a freezer, no in between. I just can't figure it out.

Ocean blue we put him in a sleeping bag from birth and he was only 7lb4oz. I can't remember what brand of sleeping bag it was, but it was safe from 7lb I think. The phn told me when she called that it wasn't the length of the bag that mattered (we used to tuck ours under the crib mattress), as long as the baby couldn't slip down through the neck and arm holes that it was safe. Our bag had extra snapper buttons under the armholes so that he couldn't slide into it. They are a godsend as he never stops kicking his legs, even in his sleep, so no chance a blanket would stay on him for long!

Our little one is the same, always kicking the legs. If I just have the blanket on him, the latest thing is resting one tiny foot up on the SIDE of the Moses basket, it cracks me up!!:)

Haha that's so cute! My fella does this in the high chair when he's finished his meal and we take the main tray off, he swings his legs up onto the safety tray and sprawls out like a lord :D I put a blanket on him during his morning nap and within minutes he escapes it, it's like a challenge to him :)

• Advertisement

Haha lol I love it, so funny when they get into a food stupor! :) Their little poses are so dotey.

I'm actually trying to use the blanket during the day and then the grobag at night so he may recognise the difference. He's a great little sleeper anyway but figure it's good to maybe differentiate between the two from early on.

That's why we started using the blanket during the day too and it worked a treat :)

Just checked there, it was mothercare own brand sleeping bags we were using from birth, they have 7lbs+ printed on their labels :)

Advertisement