Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Residency FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Apologies if this is a silly/obvious question, but can you apply for an Express Entry from outside Canada?

Express Entry is the system used by CIC for permanent resident applications.

System being the key word.

So yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Wondering if someone can clarify something.

I submitted my express entry application last night. I got a message almost immediately telling me that I was no longer eligible for the express entry. Is that just a temporary error while my application is checked? I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be eligible. I have the following:

- over 10 years experience in my field
    - a Bachelors Degree
    - a recent English test
    - will have over $20,000 when moving to Canada

I think when it asked if I have an ECA, I said 'no' as my ECA is just being processed at the minute. Could that be the thing that's throwing it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think when it asked if I have an ECA, I said 'no' as my ECA is just being processed at the minute. Could that be the thing that's throwing it off?

Yes, if you have no recent Canadian work experience, then you need a complete ECA before you can apply for Express Entry.

Yes, if you have no recent Canadian work experience, then you need a complete ECA before you can apply for Express Entry.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah I have 2 years Canadian work experience, but it was over 4 years ago, so I don't think that counts!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah I have 2 years Canadian work experience, but it was over 4 years ago, so I don't think that counts!

Yeah it has to be within the last 3 years for it to count.

• Advertisement

I've asked a few questions here and I appreciate the help.

I have another one: Can I enter Canada (on a tourist visa), while the express entry is being processed?

I've asked a few questions here and I appreciate the help.

I have another one: Can I enter Canada (on a tourist visa), while the express entry is being processed?

Yep that's allowed. Just make sure you have a return ticket and enough money to fund your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Uggs123

Hi everyone. Im looking for advice on becoming sponsored through my spouse for permanent residency. We are both currently living in ireland. My husband got his pr approved last year and we are hoping to go to canada this year.
    It seems that he needs to be in canada to sponsor me and i can apply through outland application. Is there any way that i can join him over there while my application is being processed? And if so could I work?
    Thanks

Uggs123 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Im looking for advice on becoming sponsored through my spouse for permanent residency. We are both currently living in ireland. My husband got his pr approved last year and we are hoping to go to canada this year.
    It seems that he needs to be in canada to sponsor me and i can apply through outland application. Is there any way that i can join him over there while my application is being processed? And if so could I work?
    Thanks

Were you married or had you been living together for more than a year before your husband got PR? Has he entered Canada as PR yet?

Were you married or had you been living together for more than a year before your husband got PR? Has he entered Canada as PR yet?

We have lived together for 6 years. We got married last month. We were both in canada under the IEC visa from 2014-2016. My husband got pr approved in july 2016 and he went to canada to activate it but has not been over since to work.

• Advertisement

We have lived together for 6 years. We got married last month. We were both in canada under the IEC visa from 2014-2016. My husband got pr approved in july 2016 and he went to canada to activate it but has not been over since to work.

Did he include you at all in his PR application?

Did he include you at all in his PR application?

No he just put his own name on it. It was apparently quicker to do so.

No he just put his own name on it. It was apparently quicker to do so.

Unfortunately you're kind of screwed.

You should have been included as a common law partner and done a medical etc.. It wouldn't have made any difference to processing times, just would have required you to produce police certs and have a medical.

Now that he has landed as PR, he cannot sponsor you at all. Canada immigration has a rule that all family members that can be sponsored for PR have to be included on the initial application or else they can never be sponsored.

You should consult with an Immigration Lawyer asap if you still wish to move to Canada.

Unfortunately you're kind of screwed.

You should have been included as a common law partner and done a medical etc.. It wouldn't have made any difference to processing times, just would have required you to produce police certs and have a medical.

Now that he has landed as PR, he cannot sponsor you at all. Canada immigration has a rule that all family members that can be sponsored for PR have to be included on the initial application or else they can never be sponsored.

You should consult with an Immigration Lawyer asap if you still wish to move to Canada.

We didnt live together for the full 12 months prior to him filling out his application. And he hasnt moved to canada yet to work.
    Does this make a difference?

We didnt live together for the full 12 months prior to him filling out his application. And he hasnt moved to canada yet to work.
    Does this make a difference?

Possibly. I think it would depend on the circumstances (which is why consulting an immigration lawyer is an excellent idea).

In any case it's not just the date that he filled out the application that matters, it's everything up to the date that he landed. So if at any point during the process you passed the 12 month threshold then he should have mentioned this when landing (part of the landing process is declaring that nothing material has changed with your application).

Assuming that he could sponsor you, then he would need to move to Canada first (PRs can only sponsor from within Canada). You would then submit the application. Once first stage has passed (Sponsor approval), you could potentially move to Canada as a visitor but you wouldn't be able to work. There is no work permit option with the outland spousal application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Google Express Entry; Its free but you may require various exams/certs that cost money; eg police certs/medical/language tests ete.
    If you type 'Express Entry' into the search bar on www.cic.gc.ca it has a structured breakdown of all that is required.[font=arial, sans-serif]  [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Talkinghands87

Google Express Entry; Its free but you may require various exams/certs that cost money; eg police certs/medical/language tests ete.
    If you type 'Express Entry' into the search bar on www.cic.gc.ca it has a structured breakdown of all that is required.[font=arial, sans-serif]  [/font]

So it's still an option to apply even though in not there anymore? Do you know from the day of applying to actually going how long you have?

So it's still an option to apply even though in not there anymore? Do you know from the day of applying to actually going how long you have?
    If you get accepted (I am unsure of the current time-frame); maybe 9 months from scratch, you will be granted a COPR with an expiration date by which you must make your ''landing''. 
    ''Landing'' being the date you activate your PR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Anybody can apply for PR, you don't have to have ever lived in Canada. Even if you have lived in Canada for a number of years you may still not qualify for PR. Express entry is a points based system and having lived in Canada for a time only gives you a few extra points.

They have a survey on the website that takes all your info and determines what the best approach to qualifying for PR might be.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

Having lived in Canada previously isn't a hard requirement for PR. That survey only tells you possible avenues for entry so it will only ask questions regarding hard requirements.

There is no consequence.

No age limit but the amount of points you get for age goes down as you get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

The processing time according to the cic site says 8 weeks.

Obviously above is an average world wide. Just wondering if anyone here could let me know how long it has taken their application to be processed?

The processing time according to the cic site says 8 weeks.

Obviously above is an average world wide. Just wondering if anyone here could let me know how long it has taken their application to be processed?

PR applications take on average 6 months to process after you have submitted a full application. Not sure where you are getting 8 weeks from.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Says 57 days processing time for first time PR card applications from the site I linked. Is this something different?

Is there somewhere else I should be looking that mentions 6 months?

Says 57 days processing time for first time PR card applications from the site I linked. Is this something different?

I got mine in January of this year it took 6 months after I got my invitation to apply.

It's possible 8 weeks is the average time someone is likely to wait from the time they submit their initial express entry application to the time they receive their invitation to apply?

• Advertisement

Yes the PR card is different. When you land in Canada as a PR, that starts the process of producing the PR card. So approx. 57 days after you land, your PR card arrives.

But the quoted processing time for the document to allow you to land as PR (called Confirmation of Permanent Residency) is 6 months for Express Entry. Some get it in less time, for some it takes more (it took about 7 months for me)

IvQxiHz.png

Advertisement