Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES Nostalgia

Options
  • 18-08-2014 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

So I recently gave my PS2 a dust down and had a pop on PES 5 to have a look at my Master League, and I was overcome with nostalgia. It made me want to do two things:

1) Start a thread where people can share their random bits of nostalgia from the series that was undisputed king from 2002ish-2007ish.

and 2) Write a fictional blog post about what happened to the default Master League players after they got replaced.

http://balls.ie/football/default-pro-evo-master-league-players-now/

I have now done both. :)

Any nuggets of nostalgia you'd care to share?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Everyone picking either inter or Brazil online and just passing to Adriano and shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Tinie wrote: »
    Everyone picking either inter or Brazil online and just passing to Adriano and shooting.

For 3 years!

The only chance you had was the PES 4 AC Milan team.

Dida
    Cafu-Nesta-Stam-Maldini
    Gattuso
    Seedorf
    Pirlo
    Kaka
    --Shevchenko-Crespo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    So I recently gave my PS2 a dust down and had a pop on PES 5 to have a look at my Master League, and I was overcome with nostalgia. It made me want to do two things:

1) Start a thread where people can share their random bits of nostalgia from the series that was undisputed king from 2002ish-2007ish.

and 2) Write a fictional blog post about what happened to the default Master League players after they got replaced.

http://balls.ie/football/default-pro-evo-master-league-players-now/

I have now done both. :)

Any nuggets of nostalgia you'd care to share?

Saw the post on Balls.ie earlier, gave me a good laugh! Passed it on to some of the dev team in the UK, they enjoyed it too!

Never played much Master League. For me, the 'all time great' teams in PES were the Dutch team in ISS 98 (Overmars, Berkgkamp, Kluivert etc), and Valencia circa 05/06 with Joaquin and Vicente on the wings. You could keep your Adriano!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

PES 5 is my favourite game of all time. If Fifa & PES combined & had the gameplay of PES 5 & graphics,licenses,presentation of Fifa 15 it would be the ultimate videogame.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I'm going to be shot for sacreligious comments, I know.
    I loved PES 4. Still hook up the orig xbox every so often.

But PES 5 wrecked my head. The amount of fouls that were called in it broke my heart.

• Advertisement

There was a player you would get as part of your master league team called Burchet I think but it sounded like the commentator was calling him Bird **** everytime he touched the ball!

Who can forget Roberto Larcos, Ryan Gregs and the likes over the years.

Didn't matter though cause the gameplay was that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

Another good thing about the Inter teams besides Adriano was that their defenders had high header and jump skills. I remember scoring a lot of goals that way from the corner kicks.

Shimizu was a very good youth player in master league though I can't recall which game he appeared in first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Albert Luque was an absolute hero on PES(was it 5 when he moved to newcastle?)
    Get that man some space and

Albert luque pes 5 long rangers are exactly plentiful on youtube..therefore video quality :pac:

There was a player you would get as part of your master league team called Burchet I think but it sounded like the commentator was calling him Bird **** everytime he touched the ball!

Who can forget Roberto Larcos, Ryan Gregs and the likes over the years.

Didn't matter though cause the gameplay was that good.

Oh my god yes.

Gonna have to do a follow up for the bench players.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Anyone have a good word for Vornander. The towering German who was a lynchpin of many a defence in his mid thirties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Why did ye have to do this . I thinking now maybe it will be back too its best and preordered it today

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Used to love playing these games master league was great Fifa s career mode aint come close to it yet!.

Had some great teams back in the day and as others have mentioned some of the original master league players where great. See how many can all remember http://pes.neoseeker.com/wiki/Master_League_Default_Players

Anyone remember iss pro evolution games AMAZING :D. Iss 2 was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Ah edingson....how I miss thee:D

edingson.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I remember having an x-port for downloading option files off the net. Playing online with the PS2 was a nightmare but PES was better online then than it is now! It's on a downward spiral, I can't get into fifa. I wish they just had some of the old games in the PSN shop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It took me years to adjust to FIFA after all the time I put into PES. I remember buying PES 6 and it was pretty much a carbon copy of 5, it all went downhill for them after that.

I'd love for it to make a comeback though, 4 was the best football game of all time in my view.

Got a fantastic reaction on Facebook and Twitter to the first post, most demanding the subs, so I went ahead and did part two, featuring the best subs on offer.

http://balls.ie/football/part-2-default-pro-evo-master-league-players-now-subs-edition/

Once again thanks to Cactus_mac88 for reminding me about Burchet's commentary mishap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I played PES4 to PES6 on my PC.
    Had it fully patched up with amazing kits, stadiums, balls, boots, tv like logos etc... And even
    Fifa
    commentary!
    It was simply the best football SIM experience I've ever played. Nothing has topped it since, and I still go back to it, usually around Nov each year as the most recent PES turns out to be yet another disappointment.
    Hoping to be proved wrong this year...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I played PES4 to PES6 on my PC.
    Had it fully patched up with amazing kits, stadiums, balls, boots, tv like logos etc... And even
    Fifa
    commentary!
    Wait, what?

Got a link to where you got that from?

Tinie wrote: »
    Wait, what?

Got a link to where you got that from?

It was either as part of a full patch, shollym
    patch I think, or I downloaded via the fantastic evo-web.co.UK forum.
    http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/
    You'll need to register (free) but it's full of amazing pes downloads, especially for pc users. Option files for consoles don't have the same depth of changes.
    It really nailed it as its fantastic having decent commentary because the Pes default is so poor... the downloads
    even include real recorded club chants and new goal celebration sounds! It's like a whole new game once u get it fully patched up. It takes a bit of time and tweaking, but
    still with it as its worth it! I even got a ps2 to pc adapter to plug in the controls.

Herds a Facebook link to the patch I mentioned.https://m.facebook.com/ShollymPatch.
    I think he only does pes06?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭The Friendly Newcomer

I used to only buy PES but I have moved to Fifa over the last few years.

I used to absolutely love the master league. I used to always play a 4-1-2-3. Very attacking. I would usually play as PSV, Real Betis and Valencia.

The three up front were always my most important part of my team.

PSV:
    Farfan----Kluivert----Beasley

Real Betis:
    Joaquin----R. Oliveira----Denilsen

Valencia:
    Villa----Morientes----Vicente

Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Anyone remember Dagaka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭The Friendly Newcomer

Everyone's gotta remember Barota, Castolo, Ximenes, Kelson and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

mackeire wrote: »
    Anyone remember Dagaka?

Beast. And mathieu in the other full back position. Think dagaka is actually Degagah that played for Fulham last season

PES Nostalgia:
    I remember getting PES06 on the release date, and heading home on the luas.
    I saw two other lads sat nearby who also must have just bought it, and were engrossed in the booklet reading all the new controls / tricks etc...
    That sense of pure excitement waiting to get home and fire it up was amazing.
    You just knew this was the best footie game around... and it perhaps just got better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Beast. And mathieu in the other full back position. Think dagaka is actually Degagah that played for Fulham last season

He's actually a called Hussain Kaebi.
    Iranian full back.
    There's a video of him on youtube hacking the legs off Ronaldo and figo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

I used to pick Ajax a lot in the Master League. Had a good few good players with good development, Sneijder, van der Vaart, Stekelenberg, Nigel De Jong, Emanuelson, Ibrahimovic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Saw the post on Balls.ie earlier, gave me a good laugh! Passed it on to some of the dev team in the UK, they enjoyed it too!

Never played much Master League. For me, the 'all time great' teams in PES were the Dutch team in ISS 98 (Overmars, Berkgkamp, Kluivert etc), and Valencia circa 05/06 with Joaquin and Vicente on the wings. You could keep your Adriano!

Seedorf + Davids who had a rasper of a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Castolo was god!

Awwwww, old PES was absolutely brilliant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Ruskin was a regular in my team. As far as I remember he had pace to burn!

I used to love challenging myself against all the "Inter-whores" online though, and remember beating them with the likes of Watford, Fulham, and hammering them 3-0 with Spanish basement club Gimnastic.

I had a massively enjoyable Master League with Fulham. Used to play a 4-2-3-1 formation (sometimes changing to a 4-1-4-1), with Radsinski up top on his own, and Claus Jensen as the attacking central midfielder. Boupa Diop was also a star performer for me, as was Boa Morte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

"They're going at it hammer and tongs."

Advertisement