Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race insurance for UK

Options
  • 18-08-2014 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I am hoping to do Newry City Triathlon up north at the end of this month. Would anyone know what type of insurance I need? And were I would get it?
    There is a disclaimer at the end of the on-line entry saying they have no responsibility. I know Triathlon Ireland One Day License does not cover as it has to be a race sanctioned by them.
    Any ideas or help much appreciated. I am new to the tri club!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Are they selling one day BTU licences? You could check if one of those covers you for much. Taking out race specific travel insurance is possible also but not that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

nayrts wrote: »
    Hi, I am hoping to do Newry City Triathlon up north at the end of this month. Would anyone know what type of insurance I need? And were I would get it?
    There is a disclaimer at the end of the on-line entry saying they have no responsibility. I know Triathlon Ireland One Day License does not cover as it has to be a race sanctioned by them.
    Any ideas or help much appreciated. I am new to the tri club!

What are you trying to insure?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tunney wrote: »
    What are you trying to insure?

Himself I'd assume.

The E111 card offer some form of cover in Europe so I'd imagine it would cover you up there.

You could join the BTU England Triathlon but that around £50 pricey for one race and afaik the cover with them and TI is only minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nayrts

Yes me!
    Do I not need to be covered in case of accident? Third party? Public liability?
    I sound like a right wimp. Just not sure!
    I had thought an event would have a certain amount of insurance cover. It was the disclaimer at end of on-line entry that made me question.
    What do others do when competing abroad?
    Ha, for a second triathlon this is far too complicated!

Yes me!
    Do I not need to be covered in case of accident? Third party? Public liability?
    I sound like a right wimp. Just not sure!
    I had thought an event would have a certain amount of insurance cover. It was the disclaimer at end of on-line entry that made me question.
    What do others do when competing abroad?
    Ha, for a second triathlon this is far too complicated!
    As I mentioned above you usually buy a british odl. Any additional cover would be under travel insurance but it needs to have race cover, which only a few companies do. As someone else said, an e111 card will cover any hospital treatment you may require.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the help and advice.
    I literally just got an email back from the organisers, and competitors are covered.
    Now instead of running myself and everyone else in circles, apologies, Im going to go put my runners on and try a straight line!
    Thanks again

Good Luck in Newry.

Let us now how you get on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you still probably need a license to race though?

mossym wrote: »
    you still probably need a license to race though?

I think you can enter the races in England as a non btu member it just costs a little more. I assume to cover your insurance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

covered if that's the case, i know when i raced on lanzarote, a non IM race , that i need to provide proof of membership to my home organization, i.e. TI. That was enough to allow me to race

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think you can enter the races in England as a non btu member it just costs a little more. I assume to cover your insurance.

No. Any ITU affiliated license will do, no additional cost. At least no legitimate cost

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A lot of races here include the cost of insurance in the cost of race entry and showing your BTU card at registration tends to get you a small refund.

Ooh head melting!
    Went to enter and it clearly says you are not covered. Race organiser etc accept no liability or responsibility for any accidents, injuries before during or after...
    So if I was a member of Triathlon Ireland I would be covered?
    I hadnt joined as first tri two weeks ago, insurance was covered in entry and same with the duathlons. May work out a bit more than I thought to do one race, hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

A lot of races here include the cost of insurance in the cost of race entry and showing your BTU card at registration tends to get you a small refund.

any Itu affiliated license will do
    and i am sure somebody from cavan has found out which one is the cheapest to buy.

Ooh head melting!
    Went to enter and it clearly says you are not covered. Race organiser etc accept no liability or responsibility for any accidents, injuries before during or after...
    So if I was a member of Triathlon Ireland I would be covered?
    I hadnt joined as first tri two weeks ago, insurance was covered in entry and same with the duathlons. May work out a bit more than I thought to do one race, hmmm
    Sounds like the usual disclaimer stuff.

Here is what I have learnt from this ...

Triathlon Ireland covers ALL of Ireland, north and south.
    British Triathlon Federation covers, and also has separate organisations for, England, Scotland and Whales.

So the race in Newry would be under Triathlon Ireland. You would be covered if you were a member AND if the race was sanctioned by Triathlon Ireland, that being if it was on their race calendar. I am nearly sure it is the same for British Triathlon.

This race isn't.
    This race is a stand alone and not affiliated to any organisation apart from Newry City Council. They do have public liability but if you sign the disclaimer then that's them off the hook surely. That clearly says they have no responsibility.

So back to the original question, what do you do! Maybe look for a different race ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Here is what I have learnt from this ...

Triathlon Ireland covers ALL of Ireland, north and south.
    British Triathlon Federation covers, and also has separate organisations for, England, Scotland and Whales.

So the race in Newry would be under Triathlon Ireland. You would be covered if you were a member AND if the race was sanctioned by Triathlon Ireland, that being if it was on their race calendar. I am nearly sure it is the same for British Triathlon.

This race isn't.
    This race is a stand alone and not affiliated to any organisation apart from Newry City Council. They do have public liability but if you sign the disclaimer then that's them off the hook surely. That clearly says they have no responsibility.

So back to the original question, what do you do! Maybe look for a different race ...

This discussion (sanctioned by NGB or not) was done to death on the Kilkenny Tri thread. Maybe have a look there!

EC1000 wrote: »
    This discussion (sanctioned by NGB or not) was done to death on the Kilkenny Tri thread. Maybe have a look there!

No this is different, an all Ireland sport, if its BTF sanctioned thats a massive kick in the knackers for TI.

Well sorry for not reading all posts.
    It is not BTF sanctioned. It is an automomus event, so I am told. I am also told The Event is covered under Newry and Mourne District Council Insurance for Public Liability.
    So excuse my ignorance but if I tick the box saying that I confirm that the organiser, event and everyone else will have no responsibility or liability and that I compete at my own risk, I gather that's them off the hook legally and I am not covered.

I'm over and out on this. Thanks for all the advice.

Well sorry for not reading all posts.
    It is not BTF sanctioned. It is an automomus event, so I am told. I am also told The Event is covered under Newry and Mourne District Council Insurance for Public Liability.
    So excuse my ignorance but if I tick the box saying that I confirm that the organiser, event and everyone else will have no responsibility or liability and that I compete at my own risk, I gather that's them off the hook legally and I am not covered.

I'm over and out on this. Thanks for all the advice.

If you do any race anywhere, TI sanctioned or not, you tick a similar box. The insurance cover in place does not cover personal injury. It is 3rd party liability only.

You tick a box in all races, whether that box ticking will absolve all liability is a legal question but I gather this race, at least from this perspective, will be no different to a TI, BTF or Ironman race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

tunney wrote: »
    No this is different, an all Ireland sport, if its BTF sanctioned thats a massive kick in the knackers for TI.

I think the ITU would have something to say if the BTF were sanctioning races in N Ire - the following is from their (BTF) website:

"About British Triathlon
    British Triathlon is now a Federation, whose members are the Home Nation's Associations of Triathlon England, triathlonscotland and Welsh Triathlon.

British Triathlon is responsible for matters such as the Great Britain Elite, Paratriathlon and Age-Group Teams, British and International events, Anti-Doping and International Representation. British Triathlon also manages a number of services that are shared with the three Home Nations."

By their own charter, NI is out of bounds.

Advertisement