Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parnell Street living

Options
  • 18-08-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, so I have recently moved to dublin to take up a fantastic opportunity as a chef in one of the cities best restaurants.

I dont know dublin at all so i wanted to get a place very close to work so i could walk/cycle as i would be finishing at about half 11 at night and didnt want to have to pay money to commute or spend loads of time travelling too far, being back in for 8am next morning, so it made sense to try and get somewhere near.

So, I have gotten a nice, secure apartment on Parnell street. The place is like Fort Knox trying to get into it so thats all fine and dandy, and its like a 4 minute walk up past the Rotunda to work.

Now my problem is, people talk, and people love drama and the likes...but are they being dramatic by saying i cant walk home at night for the fear of getting attacked? I wouldnt usually be worried about this kind of thing, but peoples opinions have now started to scare me...surely with Jurys Inn, the Rotunda and cinema down the road it'd be busy enough at night that I dont have to feel terrified going home?

Am I being ridiculous?? I would like to hear from people who know the area please if at all possible.

Thanking you kindly

😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Dublin north inner city has seen a significant increase in junkies/street dwellers over the last two years. O'Connell street has pretty much always been a place to be wary of after midnight and this would extend to Parnell Street. But it is by no means a no-go area - I would certainly walk home via parnell street around midnight, but I would be aware of my surroundings and would be walking purposefully towards my destination :)

I think you will see that different people have different standards as to what is safe - anywhere after dark in Dublin has some added risk to it, what with drunks heading home etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I've lived in the area for the past 3 and a half years, and, as a woman, I've always felt fine walking home. Just have your wits about you and you'll be fine. Nothing to worry about. Never once came across any bit of trouble walking home after nights out. Never once seen a junkie up that way either tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The place is riddled with restaurants and as you say has a pub, the Rotunda and the Cinema on it... you'll be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Congrats on the job! Is it C1?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Congrats on the job! Is it C1?

We are all your friends OP if it is. Smashing nosh. Congrats on the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Ive lived in the area since 1999. Ive never seen any trouble, nor heard of it. There is a homeless refuge at the top of Parnell Square, but theres never any trouble.

Dont draw attention to yourself, same as anywhere. I wouldnt even worry about that too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

It's like anywhere in town really. Fine to walk around as long as you keep your wits about you. In the majority of these cases it seems the people who claims it's so dangerous to walk through a certain place at night have never done so as their mates cousins dogs brothers owners neighbour apparently got mugged by some hulk like heroin addict with a syringe the size of the Spire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Fine area really but can feel a bit unsafe after dark unless you know the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Junkies are well out of it by midnight to cause any problems I would imagine.

Advertisement