Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in a rut

Options
  • 18-08-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I find myself in a bit of a situation where i can see no way out. I know it isn't as bad in writing as it is in my head but you know when something is bothering you it just goes over and over until eventually you blow up.

Basically I left school at 16 to start an apprenticeship as a butcher, I was qualified by 19 and making a decent wage. At 21 I took up a management position in a retail meat store where I have been for the last 5 years. The company I work for look after me and I earn a higher wage than most in similar positions as I am extremely good at my job.

However I am simply sick of it, without sounding ignorant I just know I am capable of so much more. My week from Monday to Saturday is very repetitive and I have gotten so good at the job there is no challenge anymore. I can see myself staying involved in fresh food but on a much bigger scale.

I started researching courses, part time study or online. Got very interested in Business in WIT but time wise I cannot commit as it involves weekends and anyone in retail will tell you weekends off are a premium. I also took an interest in the same course in UCC and again its weekend lectures. So I looked towards elearning with the idea that it could be used as a stepping stone. I have come across interesting ones like an Adv. Business Management (FETAC L6) or numerous FETAC certificates on business components with the open college, also CMIT offer some BTEC courses in management & leadership or Marketing & innovation.

I understand L6 courses will not get me the position I am looking for but I wonder could they get me on the ladder? I would appreciate anyone's advice as I am exhausted by the amount of researching I have done online. I have zero 3rd level education so this is all very new to me, I don't know really do employers even rate these courses or do they see them as beneficial. If anyone has any alternatives I would love to hear from them.

I live and work in the south east so Dublin is not an option study wise.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 D78

Hi Balleykev89,

I've been wrecking my head on a few of these courses too and I'm of the belief that no education is wasted. If you can afford the course and have an idea of where the qualification will take you then its probably worth a try. The distance learning providers you mention seem to give a level 6 NFQ so if you do one of them will you want/need to get a higher qualification, possibly a level 8 (hons degree) or level 9 (masters). That said it could be a good introduction to the course and you would know better then if you like or are suited to it. The other option is to head straight into a distance learning degree, Open University are a provider I looked at (but there could be others) however it can take 6 to 8 years to get a degree and probably a few thousand each year. I already have a degree so I am just looking at top up courses to strengthen some weaker points, or if I could afford it maybe something like an MBA or similar. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ballykev89

D78 wrote: »
    Hi Balleykev89,

I've been wrecking my head on a few of these courses too and I'm of the belief that no education is wasted. If you can afford the course and have an idea of where the qualification will take you then its probably worth a try. The distance learning providers you mention seem to give a level 6 NFQ so if you do one of them will you want/need to get a higher qualification, possibly a level 8 (hons degree) or level 9 (masters). That said it could be a good introduction to the course and you would know better then if you like or are suited to it. The other option is to head straight into a distance learning degree, Open University are a provider I looked at (but there could be others) however it can take 6 to 8 years to get a degree and probably a few thousand each year. I already have a degree so I am just looking at top up courses to strengthen some weaker points, or if I could afford it maybe something like an MBA or similar. Hope this helps.

Many thanks for your reply! Someone even taking an interest in my problem is really a help to me. Yeah I think I might do the level 6 on open college, even just to get a feel for what distance learning is like and also to find out can I actually turn back the clock and study. I like your belief that no education is wasted, even the level 6 in fairness seems packed with information and I am sure I will find it beneficial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Talk to your local VEC (ETB) Adult Education Officer. Their job is to help and advise people in exactly your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

Hey BallyKev89, if you are thinking of doing a business course, why not consider getting an ACCA (accountancy) qualification, you could be fully qualified within 4 years. Its a well respected qualification and i think you would benefit more from this than a business degree. Also along the way, you can attain a diploma or BSc Degree from Oxford Brooks. You need to complete 14 modules in total. After completing F1-F3, you can apply for a diploma, similarily when you complete F1-F9, you can apply for a degree. I think there are other projects along this path that you would need to complete to get your qualification. The best thing about it is that you can take things at your own pace. I think you have 10 years to complete all the exams, there are two sittings per year (june + dec) In terms on learning providers, there are quite a few online.There are also free resource tools such as opentuition.com. If your time is limited, this could be a runner for you as you can choose own study times. Its a tough slog but worth it in the end.

Subjects are as follows;

F1 Accountant in Business
    F2 Management Accounting
    F3 Financial Accounting
    Fundamentals Skills

F4 Corporate and Business Law
    F5 Performance Management
    F6 Taxation
    F7 Financial Reporting
    F8 Audit and Assurance
    F9 Financial Management
    Professional Essentials

P1 Governance, Risk and Ethics
    P2 Corporate Reporting
    P3 Business Analysis
    Professional Options (two to be completed)

P4 Advanced Financial Management
    P5 Advanced Performance Management
    P6 Advanced Taxation
    P7 Advanced Audit and Assurance

Advertisement