Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of shared accommodation and the bills are in my name, but also outstanding

Options
  • 18-08-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Can i transfer the account while the bill is outstanding and if yes how? Also do i change it from my name or do i need the guys to pick it up in there name from me? My share has been paid so the remaining bill is belong to the guys anyway
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi DrkDonnelly,

Thanks for getting in touch. You will need to close your Electric Ireland account in order to remove your liability for bills (you can re-use the account number in the future if you wish).
    To close your account, a meter reading is required - taken on the day you leave at the latest. A final bill will be issued to you for the amount of usage up to that meter reading. Any bill is due for payment two weeks from its date of issue. If a customer needs an extension on this, that shouldn't be a problem - the account-holder just needs to contact us to have this updated on the system.
    We would also require a contact name/number for noting on your account, in order to prevent vacant premises disconnection (this is usually the landlord/lady or letting agency; it can be your housemate if they are agreeable to it also though).

We can carry out this process here on Boards.ie if you wish. We are here between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DrkDonnelly

Hi DrkDonnelly,

Thanks for getting in touch. You will need to close your Electric Ireland account in order to remove your liability for bills (you can re-use the account number in the future if you wish).
    To close your account, a meter reading is required - taken on the day you leave at the latest. A final bill will be issued to you for the amount of usage up to that meter reading. Any bill is due for payment two weeks from its date of issue. If a customer needs an extension on this, that shouldn't be a problem - the account-holder just needs to contact us to have this updated on the system.
    We would also require a contact name/number for noting on your account, in order to prevent vacant premises disconnection (this is usually the landlord/lady or letting agency; it can be your housemate if they are agreeable to it also though).

We can carry out this process here on Boards.ie if you wish. We are here between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday.

Regards,
    Una
    Hi Una

I think you misunderstand, i am moving to the remaining tenants are remaining the account will not be closed or disconnected. I understand how to close the account but this is not what i asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi DrkDonnelly,

Thanks for your post.

A new account would need to be opened in the name of one (or more) of the tenants who are staying on at the property. This is why Una mentioned closing the account, as this is what would need to be done in this case. If your name remained on the bill, you would be liable for any future amounts.
    do i change it from my name or do i need the guys to pick it up in there name from me?

In order to change the name on an account, the existing account would need to be closed, and a new one would need to be opened, up to an agreed upon date and meter reading. We would need the details mentioned above by Una in order to process this for you.

We are more than happy to assist further by private message. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again DrkDonnelly,

Just to add to David's information: the person or people who will be taking over liability for electricity at the address you're leaving would need to set up their account by contacting us themselves (e.g. here on Boards, also on Facebook or Twitter. These channels are open between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday. Otherwise 1850 372 372 between 8am-8pm Monday to Saturday, or email service@electricireland.ie allowing a few working days for response). Once you close your account the other people can open theirs. If the two processes could be done the same day, you can both use the same meter reading (for you it would be for your final bill, for them it would be the point from which billing would commence).

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement