Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best spot on flea treatment

• 18-08-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

I have ordered frontline for small dogs from vetuk for my dog. She has a white coat and I can actually see the fleas... :-( was wondering Did anyone have any experience with this? I used a spot on yesterday from the susupermarket and don't know why I bothered didn't make one bit of difference

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm afraid I don't know that brand, you're probably better off getting a flea treatment from a chemist/pet shop... mind you, it's probably working, maybe those are the new fleas which have hatched in the last day - maybe if you give it time to work you might begin to see a difference - with my own cat, it took 2-3 days, with Frontline...

Also, I don't know if it's of any help to you, but Boots sell an electric headlice comb, it's around the €30 mark, but it has made a massive difference on my cat, and it's non toxic - basically, it zaps the fleas and takes out A LOT of the eggs. Then I just clean the hairs off the comb and I burn them - you could spray some insecticide on them and throw them out, I suppose, so they don't hatch. I don't know if your doggy is big or small, or if its hair is long, but personally I was delighted to have bought it, and so's my cat. Neem and tea tree oils are also brilliant to help manage the fleas.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Frontline Combo is one of the best. If she has fleas you will need to give her a worming treatment as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I don't think the supermarket treatments are much good either but this seems to be a rotten year for fleas and even the vet supplied treatments are struggling to keep up. I had to bath a cat recently and that's not a chore I'd like to repeat in a hurry.....to be fair to her, she didn't so much as touch me with a claw but she struggled like a demon and it was hard work. I had already treated her twice, I used a special insecticide shampoo and treated her again when she was dry and I can still see her scratching etc. My animals are inside/outside pets and there are foxes in the garden so I'm probably shouting against thunder but fleas are a real problem at the moment. Imagine mid August and I'm thinking, "roll on the cold weather"! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

A good prescription spot on flea treatment will work best to get rid of fleas, ticks etc. You can get these in your vet, and some pharmacies. Buying online, you often cannot get prescription treatments without a prescription so if your animal has fleas now getting a good one from the vet is probably your best bet (and then use the stuff you bought online to maintain). The sooner they are treated, the better. Supermarket brand treatments are pretty poor so you will need to retreat your pet.

If the animal has visible fleas, it is more than likely a heavy infestation (they are very good at hiding, even in light coats) - you will need to treat bedding etc. Also, it would be a good idea to also give your dog an anti-worm dose too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

My vets sell Prac-tic. You can get it online here:
    www.animeddirect.co.uk/search/all/prac-tic/relevance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We have never had fleas (touch wood) but I did buy frontline combo from zooplus.fr before
    http://t.zooplus.fr/esearch.htm#q=Frontline%20combo
    I used to buy the spot on to prevent fleas etc. but only put it on maybe twice a year now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Thanks guys. Gonna start the horrible task tomorrow. Just think I'll pop into a vets. Can't wait any longer for the delivery from vetuk. ugh it's so disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

At least one flea treatment using fipronil (as used in Frontline) is now non-prescription. A lot of chemists have it. It's called Parex.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

I'm a vet and would recommend Frontline Combo or Profender spot on. Also, a good flea shampoo will dramatically improve the condition- also will get rid of eggs and dead fleas too. Leave the shampoo on for 10 minutes and you should see the fleas turn a red colour- this is when they are dead. Perhaps invest in a good flea comb as well. Alternatively, dog groomers will provide flea baths which could be a very good idea in this case.

I'm a vet and would recommend Frontline Combo or Profender spot on. Also, a good flea shampoo will dramatically improve the condition- also will get rid of eggs and dead fleas too. Leave the shampoo on for 10 minutes and you should see the fleas turn a red colour- this is when they are dead. Perhaps invest in a good flea comb as well. Alternatively, dog groomers will provide flea baths which could be a very good idea in this case.

Thanks everyone. @Piebaldskwbald. Thanks for the advice. Do u think she will be OK to wash with flea shampoo? My boyfriend went to buy some in maxizoo today and they told him he couldn't use if if he had used a spot on?
    The vet gave me a spot on called pestigone? I've put it on her and got rid of her blankets and everything. I washed her and applied it when she was dry. I sprayed all downstairs with a flea spray and I put flea carpet powder all on the stairs and landing just to be safe(sometimes she tries to sneak upstairs when I'm not looking lol)
    Ive still seen some live fleas in her which is worrying me though. Is there any follow up treatment you can use that won't overdose her? I've also wormed her too.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I think you should have washed her with the flea shampoo before using the spot on. No point in washing that off after using it.

angeline wrote: »
    I think you should have washed her with the flea shampoo before using the spot on. No point in washing that off after using it.

That was my plan, but I was told it cannot be used with spot on or she could get sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

That was my plan, but I was told it cannot be used with spot on or she could get sick

I recently saw in PetStop a sign stating that only 1 treatment type should be used in any 4 week period. I presume this is so they are not getting overdosed on insecticides.

Advertisement