Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonus payment after resignation

Options
  • 18-08-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

- Bonus pay out date: first week of November.
    - Fiscal year (year for which I am evaluated for bonus purposes) finishes in September.
    - Planning to give notice (1 month) on mid October (can't delay beyond that for personal reasons) and therefore will remain employed up until mid-November (after bonus pay out date)
    - What bonus policy says:

"Employees who are not employed on the bonus
    payment date are not eligible to receive a bonus payment under
    this Plan."

Technically I will be employed on the payment date, although they will know that I am leaving. What are my chances of getting the bonus?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pepsico wrote: »
    - Bonus pay out date: first week of November.
    - Fiscal year (year for which I am evaluated for bonus purposes) finishes in September.
    - Planning to give notice (1 month) on mid October (can't delay beyond that for personal reasons) and therefore will remain employed up until mid-October (after bonus pay out date)
    - What bonus policy says:

"Employees who are not employed on the bonus
    payment date are not eligible to receive a bonus payment under
    this Plan."

Technically I will be employed on the payment date, although they will now that I am leaving. What are my chances of getting the bonus?

DO you mean you will finish mid November?

Why do you think you won't get it if that's the case?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

If they're smart, they'll pay you for your notice period and move you on before the bonus payment date, thus avoiding paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pepsico

Stheno wrote: »
    DO you mean you will finish mid November?

Why do you think you won't get it if that's the case?

Yeah, I meant mid-November.

I think they may not pay it because I already gave my notice before the actual pay-out date.

If they're smart, they'll pay you for your notice period and move you on before the bonus payment date, thus avoiding paying it.

What if they don't? I suppose every company is different, but wanted to hear some thoughts/experiences on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Depends on the value of the bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The OP would still be employed by the company for the duration of the notice period; unless s/he explicitly agreed to waive the notice period but still get paid.

I'm trying to think how I would get out of paying the bonus... Maybe try and change the bonus date, even just for the person that's leaving. See if I could use very subjective criteria to determine the amount that's due.

OP - is there any chance that you will get confirmation of the amount before you resign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

What does your contract say about entitlement to the bonus? Bonuses are discretionary and normally are not an entitlement unless guaranteed by rate of pay terms in your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

-
    Technically I will be employed on the payment date, although they will know that I am leaving. What are my chances of getting the bonus?

High.

Unless you're working for total scummers whose contracts are worthless.

Eoin wrote: »
    The OP would still be employed by the company for the duration of the notice period; unless s/he explicitly agreed to waive the notice period but still get paid.

I'm trying to think how I would get out of paying the bonus... Maybe try and change the bonus date, even just for the person that's leaving. See if I could use very subjective criteria to determine the amount that's due.

OP - is there any chance that you will get confirmation of the amount before you resign?

Well, I will know the amount once performance reviews are completed, which is going to be before I give notice. It will be in the 5K-10K range.

davo10 wrote: »
    What does your contract say about entitlement to the bonus? Bonuses are discretionary and normally are not an entitlement unless guaranteed by rate of pay terms in your contract.

Contract doesn't say anything about paying bonuses during notice period. It says what I mentioned above. You have to be employed on the payment date for the bonus to be paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Well, I will know the amount once performance reviews are completed, which is going to be before I give notice. It will be in the 5K-10K range.

I'd imagine that it'd be hard for them to backtrack at that stage. And it'd be a bit of a cowboy thing to try and do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

High.

Unless you're working for total scummers whose contracts are worthless.

A lot depends on the nature of the employer and the industry. Is it a reputable, professional environment where people stick to contracts, or is it a cut-throat industry where cash is everything.

If they don't pay, it will be very difficult to enforce payment through the courts.

Advertisement