Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear derailleur adjustment at lbs..how much?

• 19-08-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

How much should I expect to pay for this? I can't seem to adjust it properly and now the chain won't drop into the smallest cog. Really want someone to do it properly for me. How much and how long does it take. Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Its a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question.
    If everything is OK, as in straight and no damage, then it is a 10 minute job at most.
    First i would check the tension on the cable, then I would remove the chain, line the rear derailleur up with the smallest cog, then line it up with the largest cog. Replace the chain and fine tune the adjustment on the cable until it is shifting smoothly up and down the gears.
    If the rear derailleur or the hanger is bent then things get a bit more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Everythings straight. Just the adjustments are all out. Didnt go near the limit screws either

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Didnt go near the limit screws either

At a guess, this could well be why your derailleur won't drop into the smallest cog.

Just ring your lbs and ask, probably be 20 quid or so if nothing needs replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Everythings straight. Just the adjustments are all out. Didnt go near the limit screws either
    1. Set your shifter to the highest gear (cable slack)
    2. Loosen the cable adjuster until the chain runs properly on the smallest sprocket
    3. Set your shifter to the next highest gear (just one click). The chain may not shift yet.
    4. Tighten the cable adjuster until the chain just shifts to the second sprocket
    5. Tighten the cable adjuster 1/4-1/2 turn more
    6. Check shifting up and down the gears
    7. If it fails to drop into the highest gear, back off the cable adjuster 1/4 turn.
    8. Re-check shifting
    9. Use only small adjustments to fine-tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

You tube has some good guides for this as well as Sheldon Brown. If you haven't replaced and cables or parts, it should be fairly straightforward

• Advertisement
Advertisement