Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) queries

Options
  • 19-08-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could answer a BTEA question for me.

In 2012 i was in a level 8 course and dropped out with no qualification. I recieved a grant also.

Since then I have been on Jobseekers Allowance and am now interested in doibd a course in GMIT but it is a level 7 course, do i qualify for BTEA?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Yes

*Assuming that JSA is your only means of income & you have 9months unbroken JSA before the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CiaraBrady

So it doesn't matter that I did a higher level course and now I'm doing a lower one?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I was in the local office yesterday applying for the BTEA and the lady said the rules have changed recently. A case worker now has to interview you and say yay or nay for your application.
    The case worker interviewed me for about 15 mins and said that they are refusing lots of applications this year. At the end she confirmed she would endorse my application... Phew!

Worth dropping into your local office to make sure you get the most up to date info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

CiaraBrady wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was wondering if you could answer a BTEA question for me.

In 2012 i was in a level 8 course and dropped out with no qualification. I recieved a grant also.

Since then I have been on Jobseekers Allowance and am now interested in doibd a course in GMIT but it is a level 7 course, do i qualify for BTEA?

Thank you in advance.

In a similar situation to you. Was also in a level 8 few years ago but didn't finish the degree but did receive the credits from year one of the level 8 2 year addon. About to do similar level 8 in GMIT this September but 1 year addon (not 2 like in AIT). Received a call from the social welfare Ballina yesterday querying this and I told them the story and that all I qualified with was a level 7 as I didn't get level 8. Basically they are looking for progression to show you are eligible for BTEA.

In your situation as assuming you have level 7 already, there might be some issues regarding BTEA, however, its not for me tell you the facts so best give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Moomat wrote: »
    I was in the local office yesterday applying for the BTEA and the lady said the rules have changed recently. A case worker now has to interview you and say yay or nay for your application.
    The case worker interviewed me for about 15 mins and said that they are refusing lots of applications this year. At the end she confirmed she would endorse my application... Phew!

Worth dropping into your local office to make sure you get the most up to date info.

I handed in my application last week and they said nothing about this, we're you interviewed when you went in or did you get an appointment?

• Advertisement

bizzyb wrote: »
    I handed in my application last week and they said nothing about this, we're you interviewed when you went in or did you get an appointment?

Got the form from the office about 2 weeks ago and took it home to fill it in. Brought the form in yesterday and went up to the hatch to hand it in. The lady there explained that there was now a new form and I would have to fill that in instead. The new form is identical to old form except for some minor details, however, there is now an additional page on the rear where a case worker has to fill in after interviewing you and they include their opinion on whether you should be accepted onto the BTEA. I just filled in the form and joined the queue to see the case worker. She said she then passes on the form to a deciding officer who then makes the final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

Got the form from the office about 2 weeks ago and took it home to fill it in. Brought the form in yesterday and went up to the hatch to hand it in. The lady there explained that there was now a new form and I would have to fill that in instead. The new form is identical to old form except for some minor details, however, there is now an additional page on the rear where a case worker has to fill in after interviewing you and they include their opinion on whether you should be accepted onto the BTEA. I just filled in the form and joined the queue to see the case worker. She said she then passes on the form to a deciding officer who then makes the final decision.

odd, that change might only be the case in your local welfare office, I applied with the usual form and two weeks later got approved, no interview

That's a strange one, I handed it in and all she said was you should have a decision in 2-3 weeks.

Bizzyb,

I'd imagine you should be grand, especially if its gone through the channels already.

My office is Thomas Street in Dublin, seemed to be a good few people in the queue dor the interview for the BTEA.

Have to admit, it took me by surprise. After all the effort of securing a place on a degree, not getting the BTEA would make it fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darth Floodric

moomat, are you now doing a level 5 or 6 even though you currently possess a qualification in these levels. If so that would make sense about the case officer interview.

Got this from their site.

* From June 2014 there has been a relaxation of the progression rule for level 5 and level 6 BTEA applicants in certain limited circumstances. Applicants who already hold a Level 5 or 6 qualification under the National Framework of Qualifications and who satisfy all the other scheme eligibility criteria may be allowed undertake further courses at either of these levels. Such cases must be referred to a Case Officer for their recommendation.

• Advertisement

moomat, are you now doing a level 5 or 6 even though you currently possess a qualification in these levels. If so that would make sense about the case officer interview.

Got this from their site.

* From June 2014 there has been a relaxation of the progression rule for level 5 and level 6 BTEA applicants in certain limited circumstances. Applicants who already hold a Level 5 or 6 qualification under the National Framework of Qualifications and who satisfy all the other scheme eligibility criteria may be allowed undertake further courses at either of these levels. Such cases must be referred to a Case Officer for their recommendation.

Nope, level 8 and don't have anything near that level.

It wasn't just me either, there was a steady stream of people being sent in with their forms. Maybe that office has interpeted the rules wrong.

Anyone know if you get your rent allowance payment in the bank with btea or does it still needed to collected separately at the post office?

Hi guys,

Was just wondering if you's could answer a question for me.

I'm new to all of this Back to Education stuff, but I did hear something about receiving book fees? Could someone enlighten me please? Does it exist? How much is it? When is it given? etc

Thanks in advance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Doesn't exist. It used to but got abolished some time back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

I'm not 100% but i think that payment no longer exists.

Would there be any particular reason why the interviewer would decline a BTEA application?

Also, I haven't applied for the BTEA yet as I don't have a letter of acceptance from my college, is there anything else I can use instead? Like. the CAO OFFER letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

They will not accept the offer letter itself, but they accept the acceptance letter from the cao, which they sent back after you accepted your offer.

Also, I haven't applied for the BTEA yet as I don't have a letter of acceptance from my college, is there anything else I can use instead? Like. the CAO OFFER letter?

Yes, I applied last week with cao offer acceptance letter.Go ahead and apply you won't get a letter from your college until registration day.

I only have the offer letter from the CAO, will I have to wait long before I receive the acceptance letter?

• Advertisement

I haven't applied for the BTEA yet as I don't have a letter of acceptance from my college, is there anything else I can use instead? Like the CAO OFFER letter?

I only have the offer letter from the CAO, will I have to wait long before I receive the acceptance letter?

I got mine after I accepted my offer back in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 leaving cert is fun

im in the same boat as op, i took a year out and worked for a while but i was then on jsa for the rest of year, ill be on jsa 9 months by September. i am only 19 and the person in social welfare told me just to apply to susi :/.

bizzyb wrote:
    I got mine after I accepted my offer back in July?

I only got a CAO offer on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 spiner

Just wondering has anyone that applied for BTEA heard back from them yet about being granted BTEA for 2014/2015?

I only got a CAO offer on Monday.

Sorry, I presumed you had got a mature student offer in July. Once you accept the offer you will get an acceptance letter in a few days.

Would there be any particular reason why the interviewer would decline a BTEA application?

She asked questions like- How long is the course for? What level is it? Why this course? What do you hope to take from the course? What career will you take up? Are you aware that your attendance will be monitored? Do you know that you are not guaranteed BTEA for subsequent years and will need to apply again each summer?

Don't know what she bases her assessment on but she did mention that some people don't know the level, name or duration of the course when asked.

She asked questions like- How long is the course for? What level is it? Why this course? What do you hope to take from the course? What career will you take up? Are you aware that your attendance will be monitored? Do you know that you are not guaranteed BTEA for subsequent years and will need to apply again each summer?

Don't know what she bases her assessment on but she did mention that some people don't know the level, name or duration of the course when asked.

The system is all wrong isn't it.I planned on trying to get summer work next year but I nearly wonder what's the point with the fear of loosing btea for year 2.Seems like if you earn an extra few euro there going to bring you down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Various BTEA queries merged. Please keep all queries related to BTEA in this thread.

• Advertisement

bizzyb wrote: »
    The system is all wrong isn't it.I planned on trying to get summer work next year but I nearly wonder what's the point with the fear of loosing btea for year 2.Seems like if you earn an extra few euro there going to bring you down.

I think they are trying to do alot with a little in fairness to them. Still unsettling though when new things pop up.

The best way in my opinion would be to award the BTEA on a scholarship basis with a requirement to be unemployed for a certain period before it's awarded.
    Considering there is a year of prep goes into the application from open days etc in Oct/Nov, CAO in January, interviews, info seminars etc, it's a long time in the planning.
    I think you should liaise with a local employment mediator, let them judge your suitability and commitment and then they can say to you, in say January, if you get accepted onto your course you're guaranteed BTEA even if you work in the meantime.
    That way, none of the fear would be there the you might do something that makes you ineligible for BTEA and the mediator would have a much better idea of your suitability.

Advertisement