Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the MMO Genre dead?

Options
  • 19-08-2014 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

There hasnt really been a success since WoW. There were lots of interesting and successfull MMO's until WoW, then WoW took over and everything since seems to have been a failure. Personally I have given up on the genre after playing for 10+ years. Currently playing MOBA's which I find much more entertaining and fun. Holding out some hope for Camelot Unchained though as I backed it on kickstarter and was a massive DAoC fan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Playboy wrote: »
    There hasnt really been a success since WoW. There were lots of interesting and successfull MMO's until WoW, then WoW took over and everything since seems to have been a failure. Personally I have given up on the genre after playing for 10+ years. Currently playing MOBA's which I find much more entertaining and fun. Holding out some hope for Camelot Unchained though as I backed it on kickstarter and was a massive DAoC fan.

I feel ya, desperately hoping for a revival game, tried them all but they all seem to fall short of WoW, which I keep going back to despite being bored of it :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

To be honest before WoW there was Everquest held up as the unbeatable game that every MMO tried to copy (sometimes with a twist). Before EQ it was Ultima Online. The simple fact is most MMOs fail because they are not different enough and/or polished enough at release. 95% of all MMOs polish the 1-30 out of 60 to heck and everyone sings praise yet once people hit the mid/end game it falls down due to lack of content and polish and people quit as they are bored. The second problem is that people want to complete with WoW and think if they don't get 10 million subscribers it has failed with out taking into the fact of the Blizzard effect on gaming in general or have insane requirements to run it at a decent graphic level (once again something Blizzard specifically targeted with going non realistic models).

Here's the formula if you want to beat WOW:
    1) Compete polish from start to finish
    2) A serious end game (with variety!) available from day 1
    3) Plenty of area to explore with hidden away easter egg style locations etc.
    4) Good stories in the quest lines that make sense & variety
    5) Good variety on zone style & monsters & behavior (i.e. not copy and paste the same monster with different color 5 times or every zone is brown)
    6) Runs well on a 5 year old machine
    7) Fun to play which means it does not feel like a grind that it really is
    8) Cheap subscription
    9) No P2W options

Optional but worth considering:
    10) Passive skill gain (ala Eve or PS2 that require someone to log in daily)
    11) Daily quests (once again encourage people to log in daily but not feel like a grind!)
    12) Dungeons (everyone loves dungeons!)
    13) Group content (and only if you got a good way of supporting creation of groups etc.)

Things not to do:
    1) Instance normal zones (removes immersion, dungeons etc. are ok)
    2) Claim to be the WoW killer
    3) Not expect so many people to want to log in so your servers lag/crash
    4) Charge monthly fee + have a cash store with boosters etc.
    5) Expect to be the next WoW killer game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We'll never get another Warcraft, barring maybe Warcraft 2: Warcraftening (also known as Titan). The market is different now, and there's a far greater choice, with F2P becoming a serious player in the market.

One of the biggest problems for new MMO's, is people expect them to be as polished and have as much content as Warcraft, which is simply not possible. They've had 10 years to refine and improve their systems, and add a ridiculous amount of content. If you were to compare it to Warcraft at launch, the current batch of new MMO's would look amazing, but that's not something that happens. Blizzard also happily take any of the good idea's that other new MMO's come up with, and integrate them into their world. It's got pretty much everything, including one this most MMO's don't have...a fantastic IP with a long history. The World of Warcraft is brilliantly realised, and is a big draw for a lot of people who grew up playing the strategy games.

There are plenty of MMO's that still turn a tidy profit though. Eve Online has had consistent subscriber numbers for over 10 years now, as it caters to a specific market. Lord of the Rings has been going for bloody ages. Planetside 2 and other a few F2P games also have great numbers, and won't be failing any time soon.

The MMO market has changed, but it's not dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I thought TERA was going to be a major hit, pre-paid for that and everything. Was great for the first 10 levels and then I was really disappointed.

The new WoW expansion will come out this Winter and everyone will flock back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Thing about MMOs right now - developers let a lot of people play the Beta of it, those players get bored of it soon after release and just stop playing it entirely...

i.e. - Free gaming for the months of beta, then come release they move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Nody pretty much summed up what to do and not to do with modern MMO. Sadly focusing on the hardcore players is a mistake to many dev teams continue to make at the expense of the casual player, who will always make up the majority of a games customer base.

Letting loads of players into beta's could well be part of the problem but seeing as alot of the time this is part of pre-order deals, the publishers only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i think the themepark mmorpg is dead. if a really good immersive sandbox comes along it will breathe life into it again. archeage is promising. also the repopulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'd completely disagree.

There are more MMO games now than there ever have been. And the games themselves are great. Heck, there are even lots and lots of great *free* MMOs.

The population of WoW was pretty irrelevant, IMHO. I haven't played in years, but when I did, you could only play on one server at a time. And even then, only with people near your level. Even though Rift had far fewer total customers, I encountered a lot more people in the game that I could interact with in a meaningful way.

WoW reminds me of Doom. Doom wasn't the first FPS, and lots of FPS games came out after it that were better - but DOOM was what everyone knew of and what everyone played. After doom, FPS's didn't die, they were better than ever.

Every now and then an amazing game comes along and takes the spotlight for a good while...and then the players move on to the next thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

UCDVet wrote: »
    I'd completely disagree.

There are more MMO games now than there ever have been. And the games themselves are great. Heck, there are even lots and lots of great *free* MMOs.

The population of WoW was pretty irrelevant, IMHO. I haven't played in years, but when I did, you could only play on one server at a time. And even then, only with people near your level. Even though Rift had far fewer total customers, I encountered a lot more people in the game that I could interact with in a meaningful way.

WoW reminds me of Doom. Doom wasn't the first FPS, and lots of FPS games came out after it that were better - but DOOM was what everyone knew of and what everyone played. After doom, FPS's didn't die, they were better than ever.

Every now and then an amazing game comes along and takes the spotlight for a good while...and then the players move on to the next thing.

I would say WoW is more akin to Counterstrike, not the first... pretty much always the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Magill wrote: »
    I would say WoW is more akin to Counterstrike, not the first... pretty much always the best.

This ^.

WoW got it so right at launch, it was child's play for Blizzard to build on that success and just go from strength to strength. Sadly I can't see there ever being a success like it again, due to publishers forcing dev teams to launch way to early and kill any chance of a games success before it ever goes live. EA had two goldmines on it hands with Warhammer Online and SWTOR and completely screwed the pooch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The big problem is expectation, the first mmo I played had at most 10-20K active subs across 4 servers. Wow bucked the trend and was a main stream success but it doesn't mean that this is how the market should be.

I think the market is fine people need to just 1. Stop looking for a wow replacement, be it content or the concept of a large scale mmo and 2. Not think an mmo is going to die with smaller subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It's a combination of things.

Any MMO looking to launch needs to really think about server population and faction balance on it. Wildstar and SWTOR, for example, launched with too many servers for it's target market. As soon as subs die off, the populations drop and the game becomes dead. WoW has the same problem today, but looking at the top realms, they'll be going until the end of the game, and Blizzard are currently merging servers on a weekly basis to boost populations.

Give people an engaging leveling experience with polished end-game content to begin and you'll thrive. Launching a game before it's ready will get cash in the door but it'll die a death way too soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Any MMO looking to launch needs to really think about server population and faction balance on it. Wildstar and SWTOR, for example, launched with too many servers for it's target market. As soon as subs die off, the populations drop and the game becomes dead.

That's the thing though...Wildstar didn't have too many servers. It had too few, and no one was able to login to join their friends at launch. They opened more after it was clear that 1 PvP server wasn't enough (which it clearly wasn't). But now as soon as the subs die, most servers are totally dead (i'm guessing)

More MMO's need to use megaservers like Elder Scrolls, or allow people from different servers to play with their friends like in Guild Wars 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

MMOs will never die, the community will just fragment more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

WoW was/is a freak. There will always be freaks in these kinds of genres due to the nature of loads of subscribers mean even bigger loads of subscribers for a while at least. The thing is though they will always be exceptions not the norm, again by the nature of the game (time consuming) and the "pick one and stick with it" nature of the genre (sunk-time issues).

If you hold up WoW's subscription numbers as a yardstick then yes, there haven't been any successes in MMOs for many, many years. If you just mean a living, profiitable game though then games like EvE and LOTRO (since it went F2P) would beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭julan

There will be something new that will overtake WoW success, let's just wait for it

julan wrote: »
    There will be something new that will overtake WoW success, let's just wait for it

I feel it will be whatever MMO Blizzard think of next, and really, I reckon it'll be WoW 2.0 or something similar.

The problem for other developers is that WoW currently does so many things right. Competetive PvP, Amateur PvP, Raid content, Levelling, Dungeons, Lore, Variety of characters/classes, content patches, mounts and collectables, expansions etc.

For a new MMO to come in and simply replicate this would be ana chievement, but to drag players away from WoW it'll have to do it all extrordinarily well and I can't see any MMO doing that given the development times publishers seem to be placing on the dev teams.

When WoW launched it was a shadow of it's current self. No MMO will survive today if they don't launch near-perfect so that everyone is entertained from the get-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

julan wrote: »

still-waiting.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Personally looking forward to Everquest next, but other than that I'm just playing through the stories in old republic.

Mmo went through what is having with jobs now, they's big money and everyone wants some. But since Mmo have long developments we're still getting them at a greater level than the market can support.

Its not dead at all, i think its just evolving. Never got into WOW at all. It just didnt interest me. I hate fantasy which a shame as the MMO genre is top heavy with fantasy.

I am interested in Kingdom Come Deliverance, simply because there is no Magic Sh|te int the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

There are so many success story MMO's there just are very few in my opinion that stay the long haul. I've played WoW (albeit for 7 days), Eve Online, WoT, Star Wars Galaxies, DayZ (can be considered an mmo imo!), RFO etc etc. All were fun only 4 of which (and DayZ is still young) are still alive and kicking.

Star Citizen is my next big commitment and from the amount of pre-made funding it's gotten it'll either succeed and keep going or fail spectacularly!

Is star citizen an MMO?

Calhoun wrote: »
    Is star citizen an MMO?

Sure it's not even a game at this point!

Is star citizen an MMO?

MMO, space sim, flight sim, fps, player economy sandbox.

R0ot wrote: »
    MMO, space sim, flight sim, fps, player economy sandbox.

I googled it afterwards, i had initially thought it was a single player game but as you point out its that and more.

Seems pretty cool if it is a success.

I googled it afterwards, i had initially thought it was a single player game but as you point out its that and more.

if is going to be the keyword here for sure. fingers crossed though!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It looks very ambitious but not tightly focused, so either great success or massive failure here with little chance of a middle ground perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

nesf wrote: »
    It looks very ambitious but not tightly focused, so either great success or massive failure here with little chance of a middle ground perhaps?

Elite will be out first and Im hearing very good things. SC is getting some flak for all the expensive ship packs.

nesf wrote: »

A single player mission game , with server hosting abilities, and an mmo, it's like trying to solve world hunger.

Seems very ambitious .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A single player mission game , with server hosting abilities, and an mmo, it's like trying to solve world hunger.

Seems very ambitious .
    It's a recipe for failure the reasons are very simple:

1) Hype
    2) Constant selling of cash planes (which "commit" players to the game)
    3) Due to the above the funding is silly big but with huge commitments on what's going/should be in it

I hope they pull through but seeing other games having gone down that route (for example Mech Warrior Online) I'm not going to touch it with a barge pole until the final release.

Advertisement