Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Open 2014

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really excited for the 2 weeks to come! US Open is the highlight of my tennis year, so much so I've booked the second week off work so I can enjoy it in full.

James has said on Twitter that Sky will be showing the match, so let's hope they do.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They'll most likely put it on red button at the very least, which I don't have, but fingers crossed if there's nothing else clashing they'll at least show a bit of it on the main channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Can't believe I didn't notice this sub forum before.. I'm useless at tennis, but love watching. James nearly gave me a heart attack the last night, can't wait to watch his match today (if there's a stream). It's been hard work following his progress, so can't even begin to imagine what this means to him.

In other news, Louk Sorensen and James Cluskey are in action in challengers. Louk isn't far off being a steady top 200 player and won't be surprised to see him reach the inner 150's within the next year if his body holds up. He should have done better in this years USO qualifying. I had said pre qualies, that looking at the draws, between them either he or james would make the 3rd round, but he let a 4-1 lead slip in his opening match.. Cluskey in dire need of some ranking points over in asia.

Not all US Open news I know, but didn't want to go splitting my post across both of the main topics.

In other news, I've been toying with digital drawing the last while, and after James' huge win the last night, gave drawing him a go, which then led to me trying out drawing Cluskey, here they are if you want a look.

10645009_620273628093574_3358059090506572168_n.jpg?oh=b1cae92e2dbc169f2062ee6b8e140c6a&oe=54700455&__gda__=1417509299_2d76920bba7b3278a30c33f7200ee14b

10562698_620898028031134_4109251792287155769_o.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions for other interesting people to give a go during the tournament. I have a feeling some interesting events during the next two weeks might inspire :)

Great pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

Both British players are 2nd on their courts. Hope they finish quickly so James gets on the main Sky channel (I don't have the red button either).

I hope James plays as well as he can having reached the main draw and has no regrets. His opponent has retired 4 times so far this year (not sure why - possibly an injury). Perhaps the longer it goes the greater the chance for James to progress.

Halep loses first set to someone called Danielle Rose Collins. Tried to search for her WTA ranking... couldn't find one :eek:

Oh and Sky will be showing James' match on the red button later :)

She is NCAA singles champion so a massive step up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Having an Irish player on the schedule makes it even more exciting. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭PashaMasha

Would be class if McGee got a chance to play Tsonga, hopefully it won't turn out a disappointing day for the Irish like US Open 2011 with 2 qualifiers and 2 retirements.

Murray dragging the arse out of this one, unlikely we'll get to see any of James on the main channel.

• Advertisement

McGee next out on court 13 last match just finished

James warming up :)

My bold, probably-not-gonna-happen prediction: James to win in 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

McGee breaks Nedoveyesov in the first game! Dream start.

1 - 0
    McGee to serve.

It's likely they'll go to Konta vs Peer after Murray gets the job done, still, yay for the red button option (or USOpen.org!)

McGee just started...by getting a break of serve!

James warming up :)

My bold, probably-not-gonna-happen prediction: James to win in 5

It will probably be a break filled encounter so it's very much possible :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

He's currently 1.65 on betfair.

• Advertisement

He's currently 1.65 on betfair.

That's 'cause he was a break up. Nedoveyesov was slight favourite before the match started.

McGee holds for 2 - 0.

McGee doing well at the net, opponent hitting more winners than McGee but his unforced error rate is high too

Good start but needs to increase his 1st serve percentage.

McGee takes the first set on serve 6-4!

Good first set from James, solid enough but it's tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He's under pressure her in the 3rd set!

Slipping away from him now. It's very hot there and given that he was cramping after a 3 set match the other day it's not looking good.

Little fist-pump here from McGee as he takes the lead in the 4th set 6-5. Really getting back into it now!

dHXJMMk.png

Alas, it wasn't to be. He got obliterated in the tie-break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

what a shame, he gave a good fight and upped his game in the 4th set. There were plenty of nice winners from him. Although his service returns were a bit weak so i reckon that's what he needs to work on to improve his game.

Shame about the result but the crowd were all clapping at James when it was over, someone was interviewing him on court afterwards too while the other guy was long gone.
    James was talking about calling it quits this year so hopefully this will give him the motivation to keep at it a while longer.

Sad for James, but there's not much more he could have done really. Won a set and fought hard in the 4th. Hopefully he can have a strong finish to the year and qualify for Australia in January :)

Just saw that Muguruza lost! How disappointing. I had high hopes for her this Summer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

He can afford a coach now, or at least he said that is what he's going to invest his prize money in, which will make a big difference. I really don't think he has the game to stay within the top 100 consistently if he ever makes it, but top 150 is achievable and with that he will get his opportunity's in early rounds of atp events.

Good effort today, can't have asked for much more from him, opponent just had so much easy power.

^ The fact that he's 27 as well means he doesn't have that much time to improve. There are improvements there to be made though and, as you say, a couple of the smaller main tour events are possible now, maybe even direct entry to a Slam. The fact he's talking about coaching and things is good though because, as I said earlier, he was talking about reassessing his career a while ago and wasn't sure he was going to continue after this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

You people know your stuff, and seeing as I've been drawing lots of tennis stuff lately, I thought I might post this here? Who does it look like? :P

He was given 3 warnings during his match yesterday, and told if he swore again he may be disqualified!

10606431_622182217902715_115616081667852607_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

You people know your stuff, and seeing as I've been drawing lots of tennis stuff lately, I thought I might post this here? Who does it look like? :P

He was given 3 warnings during his match yesterday, and told if he swore again he may be disqualified!

10606431_622182217902715_115616081667852607_n.jpg

Kyrgios? Love this :)

Kuznetsova out earlier today. Had a 5-3 lead in the 3rd and blew it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sad for James, but there's not much more he could have done really. Won a set and fought hard in the 4th. Hopefully he can have a strong finish to the year and qualify for Australia in January :)

Just saw that Muguruza lost! How disappointing. I had high hopes for her this Summer :(

Some very tired looking shots toward the end. Still the experience will have done him the world of good...(not forgetting the few dollars!!)

Great win for 17 year old Borna Coric taking out #29 seed Lukas Rosol. Coric won the Boy's title at the US Open last year and this is his first senior Slam.

Kuznetsova out earlier today. Had a 5-3 lead in the 3rd and blew it.

Shame. I had a fantasy in my head that she'd go on some magical run to mark the tenth anniversary of her win. Not to be!

Petra cruises through her R1 match.

Vika struggling against Doi. Down a set. Could (will) drop out of the top 20 if she doesn't do very very well at this tournament.

15 year old Catherine Bellis giving Cibulkova a hard time at the moment. 1 set all.

Here she is in 2011. Bv_f7bXIMAAdLho.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

She won and it is a lovely story.:)

But what the hell has happened Cibby? Shocking result from her.

Not on a TV court as well? Poor effort organisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Something's going on with Dommi. She's not this bad in Slams. On her day, she is really good! I'm baffled!:confused:

• Advertisement

Heaven help us all! Losing to a 15 y/o outside the top 1000?!

On a side note, it's crazy that people born in 1999 are now playing grand slam tennis.

Domi hasn't done much since making the Aus Open final. Either she can't handle the new found expectation or that run was a complete and utter fluke.

Good win for Vika just now. Can't see her making the SF necessary to stay in the top 20 but I think at this point 2014 is a write off for her. Just needs to get as many matches as possible under her belt now.

Aga out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

^ Just seen that!:eek: She usually so good on hard courts!

Well done Aga :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RosyLily wrote: »
    ^ Just seen that!:eek: She usually so good on hard courts!

4th round is her best effort here,4 times she has got this far and the rest only reached the second round, so no major surprise really.

Since the Australian Open like Cibulkova, done **** all, shame because with Azarenka injured and Serena so out of form their was lots of opportunities for her to make a mark this year.

• Advertisement

I've stopped looking at draws before Slams and just go with whatever's on TV but I saw this on twitter after Aga lost.
    One of the following will be in the SF.

Kerber
    Kudryavtseva
    Bencic
    Nara
    Sloane
    Larsson
    Pironkova
    Jankovic
    Safarova
    S.Zheng
    Cornet
    Vinci
    Peng
    Begu

And Sloane lost too :eek: Last time I saw the score she was up 7-5 3-0. It's one thing to flop at the regular events, but to start flopping at the slams now is quite concerning. Serious rethink needed chez Stephens about where she wants her career to go.

^ I saw someone mention earlier that they'd been speaking to whoever was Sloane's hitting partner in Cincinatti and he apparently had nothing good to say about her attitude.

I've stopped looking at draws before Slams and just go with whatever's on TV but I saw this on twitter after Aga lost.
    One of the following will be in the SF.

Kerber
    Kudryavtseva
    Bencic
    Nara
    Sloane
    Larsson
    Pironkova
    Jankovic
    Safarova
    S.Zheng
    Cornet
    Vinci
    Peng
    Begu

Aga has yet to make the last 8 in NY. Jelena; former finalist, Kerbs; semis, Vinci; quarters. Lucie is playing really well, Bencic is a fast-rising star, Cornet is 2-0 vs Serana this year. Still a decent quarter, imo.

How can you not look at the draws?? That's part of the fun of it all.:D

curiosity wrote: »
    How can you not look at the draws?? That's part of the fun of it all.:D

I just haven't really looked at them this year. I like to just turn on the TV and see who is playing, adds an element of surprise :) Plus, this year especially the projected matches haven't happened as various quarters have fallen apart in R1 or R2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement