Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Open 2014

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Good tactics I guess, given how Sharapova is playing. Why is Sharapova playing like sh*te though? We can hardly blame post injury rust, she's been back for the best part of a year and has won a slam since! She steamrolled Woz the last time they played. Idk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lazy stuff from Federer in the first set, but gulf in class is massive, he should warp this up soon enough.

Thiem in control against Lopez, hurry up please, its late over here and I watch Goffin v Dimitrov. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Lazy stuff from Federer in the first set, but gulf in class is massive, he should warp this up soon enough.

Thiem in control against Lopez, hurry up please, its late over here and I watch Goffin v Dimitrov. :P

Fed in control

Maybe it's just me but becker spends too much time in front of the camera given his role as coach

Djokovich is probably OK that way

Can't imagine Federer or Murray being happy with it

Fed in control

Maybe it's just me but becker spends too much time in front of the camera given his role as coach

Djokovich is probably OK that way

Can't imagine Federer or Murray being happy with it

Murray has enough problems to care I reckon:pac:

Boris just loves attention, not really fussed either way tbh.

Thiem just finished the beatdown of Lopez, superb year for him.

Gasquet v Monfils on now, good fun as expected, neither will go much further as they are to weak mentally, probably would back Monfils as he has more skills than Gasman, but as I thought Sharapova was a cert earlier,:o

Amazing scenes in the battle of France.

Gasquet has surrendered rather meekly. :eek::eek::eek:

Goffin took the first set against Dimitrov 6-0, and he was majestic to watch, sadly though he has not been able to keep it up. Dimi 4-1 up in the second set, could run away with it now.

• Advertisement

Oh Jelena *shakes head sadly*

Hope Woz can get to the final to salvage something from the bottom half of the draw!

Fun match between Goffin and Dimitrov but at times the tennis has been very annoying. Goffin 2 breaks down, gets it back level and then gifts the set with 2 double faults.

Then a terrible leave in the first game of the 4th set has cost him a break. He is so much fun to watch, so its annoying that he has made these mistakes, Dimitrov was beatable tonight.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Good tactics I guess, given how Sharapova is playing. Why is Sharapova playing like sh*te though? We can hardly blame post injury rust, she's been back for the best part of a year and has won a slam since! She steamrolled Woz the last time they played. Idk.

I'm not sure you can call it tactics from Woz. It's the only way she knows how to play. Still, it's nice to see her get back to winning ways however she gets there.

I'm not sure what's up with Sharapova, she's been dreadful most of this year. Even on clay, apparently now her best surface, she wasn't great. The majority of her wins have come from her just grinding down the opponent. So many times she should have lost matches but just the fact that she's Maria Sharapova seemed to get her through.

Maybe her shoulder is still bothering her, maybe whatever she had done last year didn't work? Her serve is shockingly bad lately, even for her.

And now Genie's out! :( Really finding it difficult to muster up some enthusiasm for the women's side now.

At least Andy's through though, first top ten win since winning Wimbledon!

With Genie and Tsonga going out within seconds of each other the US Open is pretty much dead to me this year :(

She looked pretty wobbly in the heat there. Had to laugh at her taking an MTO and getting her blood pressure checked. Sharapova was somewhere having a fit at that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Excellent win for Murray. Thought he'd struggle. Novak next up for Murray!

Vika v Krunic was a fantastic match. Krunic might be the real deal, her pressers all make interesting reading. Very self aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Really good win for Nishikori!! Tough 5 setter going til nearly 2.30am!:eek: Hope this won't hinder his performance against Stanley.

Yeah, the Krunic match was very good. Krunic will really regret that failed drop shot at 15-30 in the last game, Azarenka was there for the taking. And omg at that extremely awkward Azarenka interview afterwards :eek:

Yeah, the Krunic match was very good. Krunic will really regret that failed drop shot at 15-30 in the last game, Azarenka was there for the taking. And omg at that extremely awkward Azarenka interview afterwards :eek:

Yes! Twitter had a field day with Vika last night. Kind of glad I missed it.

Krunic was asked something in her presser and she said something like "that's why Vika is a 2 time Slam champion, she doesn't go for drop shots on break points" :)

She seems nice. She posted a very gracious message on her Twitter page after her defeat. I hope this week wasn't just a flash in the pan and we hear more from her.

And that screenshot doing the rounds on Twitter of her awkwardly picking her nails as Vika sang is just sublime :D

She seems nice. She posted a very gracious message on her Twitter page after her defeat. I hope this week wasn't just a flash in the pan and we hear more from her.

And that screenshot doing the rounds on Twitter of her awkwardly picking her nails as Vika sang is just sublime :D

And her celebration after playing a brilliant point in the 2nd set, I think, it was like a pelvic thrust at the crowd, superb :)

She said a lot of stuff in her pressers during the week that sound like she's pretty clued in as to why she hasn't peaked like this before and what she needs to do to continue in the right direction so hopefully she actually means it all.

Fed-Bautista Agut has the potential to be good later. Upset possible but I suspect Fed will be too consistent for him. Wozniacki-Errani will probably be tripe but I'll be rooting for Woz nonetheless.

Saw some rumours online that Li Na might retire after the China Swing at the end of this season. Hope it's not true, she's got a year or two of good tennid left in her imo.

Jennifer Capriati has mentioned making a comeback on Twitter... I'm presuming she's joking?

Jennifer Capriati has mentioned making a comeback on Twitter... I'm presuming she's joking?

Mad as a box of frogs, that one. Who knows? I read earlier that she never officially retired so it shouldn't really be a problem for her if she's serious.

Fed-Bautista Agut has the potential to be good later. Upset possible but I suspect Fed will be too consistent for him. Wozniacki-Errani will probably be tripe but I'll be rooting for Woz nonetheless.

Saw some rumours online that Li Na might retire after the China Swing at the end of this season. Hope it's not true, she's got a year or two of good tennid left in her imo.

I'd be very concerned if Federer didn't beat him easily, Agut is decent but he got murdered by Berdych at the French and Murray at Wimbledon, don't think he has the tools to worry the elite players.

Thiem v Berdych I am very excited about, hope Thiem plays well.

Impossible to describe how crap Dimitrov was tonight. :mad:

• Advertisement

Mad as a box of frogs, that one. Who knows? I read earlier that she never officially retired so it shouldn't really be a problem for her if she's serious.

Yes, I thought so. I was trying to remember is it her or Hingis that's a nutcase, but it's actually both.

This Federer match has been slightly one sided thus far :P

Yes, I thought so. I was trying to remember is it her or Hingis that's a nutcase, but it's actually both.

This Federer match has been slightly one sided thus far :P

Figured it would be, Batista doesn't have the weapons to really trouble the top players, however as he is quite consistent, not flaky and a bloody hard worker, he should float around the top 20 for a bit. No shame in that.

The turnout for Berdych v thiem has been dreadful. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Murray-Djok on at 0200 hrs Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Saw some of the Wozniacki Errani match last night ,was pretty poor fare.
    Errani was just moonballing shots that were landing half way up the court and her serve was awful.
    Really poor standard for a quarter final.

Woz hit something like 28 winners last night which is maybe more than she's hit in her entire life! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Woz hit something like 28 winners last night which is maybe more than she's hit in her entire life! :)

:D
    Its easy to hit winners when your opponent is hitting weak loopy balls that land in the service box in the middle of the court.
    Errani was like someone you'd see down your local club .

Its easy to hit winners when your opponent is hitting weak loopy balls that land in the service box in the middle of the court.

Yeah, Errani is quite a defensive player too and she's not got the powerful shots to counter with and the less said about her serve the better :eek:
    Not to have a dig at Woz but if you've let her hit 28 winners past you then maybe it's time to focus on doubles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I resemble that remark!! :o

Saw some of the Wozniacki Errani match last night ,was pretty poor fare.
    Errani was just moonballing shots that were landing half way up the court and her serve was awful.
    Really poor standard for a quarter final.

Well it was Wozniacki versus Errani! :p

The wind did make conditions difficult for both though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Azarenka is in trouble here. Lost her temper and smashed her racket.

Azarenka gone. Not really surprised. Wasn't expecting her to do much after an injury-hit year. Still did well though! QFs isn't to be sniffed at. Hopefully she'll be back to 100% next season.

^ My thoughts exactly, it's been a good tournament for her given the horrible form she's been in. Now I think she just needs to get as many matches in as possible before the season end and be as fit as possible for Melbourne. She obviously won't be playing in Singapore so she'll probably finish her season in Linz or Luxembourg.

People are saying Makarova has a real shot against Serena. I don't know. She is playing well but she had an easy enough route through, Bouchard wasn't well and apparently Vika has food poisoning too so I don't know if she's really been tested that much.

^ Yeah I don't see it either.

Wawrinka arguably plays the most attractive tennis on the men's tour, that backhand really is a beaut. He's got nothing to fear being in the top half of the draw, if he gets past Nishikori he'll have a shot at the final.

What do we reckon for Andy/Novak later? Easy win for Novak?

I think a 5 hour long struggle later that commentators will call an epic which leaves Djokovic so exhausted that he loses to Wawrinka in the SF easily enough and then Fed cruises to another Slam win.

• Advertisement

I think a 5 hour long struggle later that commentators will call an epic which leaves Djokovic so exhausted that he loses to Wawrinka in the SF easily enough and then Fed cruises to another Slam win.

That's the dream, right there! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That'll do me!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'm surprised nishikori hasn't fallen apart. Usually by now he has had the trainer on a few times.

walshb wrote: »
    Murray-Djok on at 0200 hrs Thursday.

Won't be until three with Stan and Nishi going four sets and Serena to follow.

Stupid scheduling really, Murray should have been playing after Azarenka which would have been perfect for the British audience while Nishi could play at a time to suit the Japanese audience while getting more time to recover from his five setter. Murray finished his match 8 hours before Nishikori on Monday ffs.

^ Sky obviously have no power in the TV stakes when it comes to scheduling matches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Stan's out :( Stunned that Nishikori is the one to do it. He's a dangerous player but I fully expected Stan to come back and win it. Such a shame - my interest in the men's draw is a bit less now. Andy's still there - not for much longer I suspect...........

Would this be the first time a Chinese or Japanese player makes up one of the semi-finalists on both the men's and women's sides? It's not a familiar sight but there seems to be a bit of a revolution going on and there seems to be a huge thirst for tennis there off the back of Li Na's successes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Nishi is the first Japanese male since 1918 or so to make a GS semi, I hear.

^ It's the first time a Japanese man has ever made a SF and I'm not sure there's ever really been any good Chinese players on the men's side?

Nishikori winning two 5 setters in a row is a bit of a miracle. I may have to revise my earlier prediction.

Ah so disappointed Wawrinka lost, but any other outcome wouldn't have been the right result. To give it away on his serve though.. :(

Hope Serena-Pennetta can be a little bit competitive. Having received a cakewalk so far won't exactly help Serena but it's extremely hard to see her losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

^ Sky obviously have no power in the TV stakes when it comes to scheduling matches.

I'm sure they can make a request but when it comes to such a big match, the American networks will dictate and if the Stan-Nishikori match hadn't gone on for so long, it would've been on court around 9pm which is the marquee slot for TV- big match= big viewing figures + big advertising money. Really annoying for us Europeans, though, as it couldn't be at a worse time.

You can't fault Sky for effort- they've been running this #stayupforAndy hashtag all day. I imagine their viewership will be almost non- existent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Good win for Djokovic... Not his best performance but Andy's body really broke down after the third set... Long term I just don't think he can handle grand slams anymore but time will tell. His back was causing big problems in that 4th set.

Disappointed Andy lost, but he won one more set then I thought he would. I don't see Nishikori troubling Novak at all, not having player two straight five setters. Most people think a Nole-Federer final is beyond doubt now, but I wouldn't be so sure. Berdych could surprise us.

Would be cool if Wozniacki could win the whole thing by beating Serena in the final, not just because she'd finally have a slam, but because she'd be only the second person to beat both Serena and Sharapova in the same tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Drew an auld Nishikori! He might give Djoko a big fright, his body is always the big doubt, not so much ability, so the two day rest could be critical.

BwtjnHKCAAE2BN0.jpg

Excellent win for Cilic!! Have been impressed with him this year. Ivanisevic is doing a good job. Hopefully Marin can qualify for Tour Finals.

SFs might be Chang-Becker and Ivanisevic-Edberg! :p

Berdych's going to have some serious apologizing to do when he sees that double bounce back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement