Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Open 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Berdych mentioned in presser that he's hoping to hire Lendl, just working on time and availability. Interesting! Could be a great move....could be the worst thing since Svetlana's cornrows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Is Federer playing tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Is Federer playing tonight?

After the exhibition doubles. So, he could be on around 1ish? Maybe half past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

These late nights are killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Had an inkling early on that this could be Monfils in 3.....hope to god I'm wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, Federer just flat as a pancake in that set. Can Monfils maintain this level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Wow, Federer just flat as a pancake in that set. Can Monfils maintain this level?

Very similar to Berdych in 2012 and Robredo last year isn't it?

Monfils meltdown on the way? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Great stuff by Fed to push it to a fifth set.
    Monfils will surely wilt,Federer has made him run like a dog for the last 2 sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

One of Roger's best ever comebacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Was a great comebacks... First 2 sets Fed couldn't get anything working at all. It felt exactly like the Robredo match at the US Open last year but only 1 unforced error in the 3rd set and saving the 2 match points brilliantly in the 4th really was great to watch. Surprised Gael managed to get 2 games in the 5th to be honest. He was spent.

If Monfils ever had a backbone, he would be unstoppable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Fell asleep just after Monfils took the second set. Did not expect that result! (although with Monfils it's not really a surprise)

In fairness to Monfils it was nothing really to do with mentality when he collapsed, he literally had nothing in the tank once he lost the 4th set. You could see throughout the 4th his fitness was diminishing fast, he was running on pure determination from halfway throughout the 4th probably. You could say Monfils could have played some points better alright but that's a two way street as Federer was really poor at times tonight. Unforced errors were also neck and neck until the 5th set too, just such an even match till Monfils had nothing left.

It really feels like though that Monfils could move on from here, he has the game to be a top 5 IMO.

^ Maybe it wasn't Monfils' mentality that cost him but his habit of expending way too much energy in the early rounds and dragging out points that he could easily have finished just to entertain doesn't help him any when it gets to the later stages.

Still it's easily been his best Slam for quite some time in terms of consistency and results.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »

It really feels like though that Monfils could move on from here, he has the game to be a top 5 IMO.

And the backbone and mental toughness to struggle to get in the top 50.

When was the last time France gave us a tennis player that wasn't weak mentally bar Bartoli?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Feel bad for Monfills ... that could be damaging ...

Roger's best chance to take #18 ...

Peng.:(:(:(:(

Man, that was horrible. Not sure they should have let her come back out there. Awful scenes.

Serena rolling on Makarova. I'm still pretty sure she'll win the final but I hope Woz can repeat her form from their earlier meetings this summer.

• Advertisement

Only tuned into the Woz/Peng match when all the drama started unfolding. Very distressing to watch! Hope the final on Sunday is good, actually kinda hoping Woz can win, but I don't see it happening. I think she could make it close, like she did in Montreal and Cincinnati, but a win is too much. It's be interesting to see how Serena would treat Woz if she were to win though, would they still be friends?

How do we see today's matches going? I'm guessing Djokovic in 4 and Federer in 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Buzz lightdecade

How do we see today's matches going? I'm guessing Djokovic in 4 and Federer in 3.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Federer being knocked out. Cilicis playing great tennis. Olderer is always vulnerable.

Cilic can go 2-0 up and still lose, I wouldn't want to be betting on him today anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Wouldn't be surprised to see Federer being knocked out. Cilicis playing great tennis. Olderer is always vulnerable.

lol fed will die before he loses

who's up next?

commentator just said women's doubles

is it Fed after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Quite an astonishing result brewing here- I was convinced Nishikori would fall apart due to his inexperience of GS semi-finals.

Some woeful stuff from Novak, not that I'm complaining.

Well thats that ... should be plain sailing for Federer to take number 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No way is it plain sailing. He has two matches to go. Both men capable on their day. Federer has lost several times before in slams to players ranked below him.

Great stuff from Kei. Didn't give Djokovic even the smallest chance to get back in after the 2nd set.

• Advertisement

Imagine a Nishikori/Cilic final, who would have called that!

Cilic playing very well, Federer can't afford to be flat today. He picked it up in the 3rd set eventually but there's no saying he can have the luxury today, he could be blown away in 3.

but hang on .... Who the hell is Nishikori anyway , and what the f*ck is he doing in a GS Final ?? :confused::confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

oh.my.god.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Imagine a Nishikori/Cilic final, who would have called that!

Cilic playing very well, Federer can't afford to be flat today. He picked it up in the 3rd set eventually but there's no saying he can have the luxury today, he could be blown away in 3.

I can see Cilic playing well, getting chances, and then filling his pants in the big moments (As usual).

Fed will just find a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Did no one else see Kei play Rafa earlier this year? He DESTROYED him for a set and a bit. He was incredible.

His main problem has been and still is physical issues although he came thru today.

I love him - a nice break from Rafa, Djoko and Murray.

Weird not having Novak in the final, first time in 5 years! Whilst he probably won't be that happy with his 2014, if he had to chose between winning a second US open or a second Wimbledon, he'd have gone for Wimbledon.

Hope Kei can win the whole thing now but I fear he may be too fatigued, although I thought that's what was going to happen today! Kei winning would also be the first time since 2003 that the big four failed to win 3 or more of the slams in a calender year.

the_monkey wrote: »
    but hang on .... Who the hell is Nishikori anyway , and what the f*ck is he doing in a GS Final ?? :confused::confused::confused:
    Do you pay any attention to tennis at all? :confused:

fed looks sluggish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Nish on his day is a worldbeater but those days are few and far between, he needs to find consistancy and stay injury free eassier said then done i know

best chance federer will get now for 18

i can see becker getting fired soon, he spends way too much time in front of camera anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Buzz lightdecade

Olderer on his way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Confused here.

Watching it on steamhunter and the channel is Eurosport yet I have Eurosport on my UPC box and tis not on either Eurosport channel - huh???!

Olderer on his way out.

Early days yet

Cilic usually chokes when he thinks he might win. Lets see if he gives away this break at 4-3 up.
    Or has he finally changed?

moneymad wrote: »
    Cilic usually chokes when he thinks he might win. Lets see if he gives away this break at 4-3 up.
    Or has he finally changed?

We won't find out today as I don't think federer is playing at a level to really worry him.

Can't wait for the final now.
    You're right, he's not playing great. Looks flat too.

• Advertisement

Doesnt look like fed will be able to break serve, his best way back is through a tie break id say, its not looking good for him now though

This is all over surely! Happy for Marin about to make his breakthrough but as big Federer fan it'll be so hard seeing him lose out on this opportunity for a slam (let's be real, this open has presented him with a glorious opportunity)

I shouldn't give up yet but this is really flat stuff from Federer and good stuff from Cilic (if Cilic gets his serve up to 70% + this is over)

EDIT: here we go.....

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Doesnt look like fed will be able to break serve, his best way back is through a tie break id say, its not looking good for him now though

Well i was wrong again:rolleyes:

I lost 638 on trading the Djokovic Nishikori match today. I stand to win 679 if clilic wins. 41 euro profit. This stress isn't worth it at all.

This sets Feds. I can feel it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement