Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Open 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Game over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

If Fed and Djoko lose it will lessen the pain for me so much tonight :)

Rafa to make serious comeback in 2015...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Fed, "Keep it up man" Cilic, "I will"
    Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Federer is finished as a possible Grand Slam winner folks.

Dreadful crowd, gave no credit to Cilic all match, cheering when he double faulted. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Time for Fed to hang up his racket or ....

keeping playing and diminish his reputation

Howjoe1 wrote: »

Come on losing in a slam semi final is not diminishing his reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Howjoe1 wrote: »

Ah now....as awful as he was tonight, just no.

In fairness to him, he's had a very good year. Wimbledon final (could have won, probably would have won without Novaks 'injury' break in the 5th), several masters finals with one victory, two other tournament wins and plenty of semi's along the way.

When he's been playing good this year, he's still pretty comfortably in the top 4 players.

He's not winning another slam though, this was his golden chance with no Nadal, no Novak left and it still couldn't inspire him to even compete against a good Cilic today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

My god that crowd were awful. Bad, bad form to cheer a player missing a serve.

Hope Nishikori wins the final :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Diarmuid1995

Fed wasn't brilliant tonight but to be fair Cilic was amazing, if he and Nishikori play like they did today the final will be an absolute cracker.
    As regards his reputation, he is the one who built it up throughout the years so only he can decide how he wishes to proceed.
    With the 'big four' crumbling the state of men's tennis is as unstable as it has been in ten or eleven years.
    Personally hope Fed keeps going, rarely feel as nervous during any occasion as I do when watching fed these days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Banned for drugs last year, US Open final this year :mad:

My god that crowd were awful. Bad, bad form to cheer a player missing a serve.

They were shocking, would have been fascinating to see how they would have reacted if Cili:eek:c had done a Peng.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That was pretty embarrassing for Federer. All credit to Cilic, he was incredible.

I said it a few times earlier this year, it's belief, or lack of, that's stopped others from breaking the strangle hold of the "top 4" before now. Plenty of players are capable of playing the kind of tennis to beat them but either step on court already having lost in their mind or get in a winning position and then realise they're winning and brick it.

The likes of Tsonga, Berdych and Ferrer have more than likely missed their chance at this point. They've spent so many years losing to them that they really have no belief that they can win.

Hopefully this is the start of a more competitive and open ATP.

Banned for drugs last year, US Open final this year :mad:

I'd be having a bet on Troicki next year:p

To be fair Marin has cleared this up last week, he done nothing wrong and their is no drugs in tennis:D

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2014-09-04/201409041409871183012.html
    Q. So you had this really tough thing happen to you. You were a popular, successful pro. When you were sidelined, what was your thinking? Did you have a lot of anger? Did you just accept it? How did you mature?

MARIN CILIC: Well, I mean, it angered me how all the process went because it was not fair to me. It wouldn't be fair to any tennis player. So that was just very bad memories. But, you know, when you're against big organizations you are small hand. You can't do much. So I just accepted it. When I came back to tennis court I erased it from my memory. I just used the positive parts, which, you know, made me tougher. I felt that I was more, you know, directed to the goals I want and just with a great atmosphere in my team. I feel it helped me to gain much more in all different areas.

Q. Have you spoken to Viktor, and do you think there is a drug problem in our sport?

MARIN CILIC: I mean, I have spoke with Viktor in April. I have seen him, but I haven't seen him since he started to play. He was in Europe. I mean, he also had extremely difficult period. I mean, he wasn't positive on a test and got suspended for a year. That's, I mean, difficult to understand. But, I mean, I don't think there is drugs in our sport. I feel that it's pretty safe.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I'd be having a bet on Troicki next year:p

To be fair Marin has cleared this up last week, he done nothing wrong and their is no drugs in tennis:D

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2014-09-04/201409041409871183012.html

Perish the thought! :pac:

Between drugs bans, panic room missed tests and Martina Hingis there's a lot of questionable histories in these finals.

Between drugs bans, panic room missed tests and Martina Hingis there's a lot of questionable histories in these finals.

Yep, it doesn't look great for the sport but the depressing/amusing thing is, most people would rather get worked up about women tennis players grunting on the court than that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

If Wozniacki wins tomorrow, it's officially the craziest Grand Slam!!!!:pac:

Fair play to Cilic though. He was amazing! And so was Nishikori. Hope they play as well in the final. First GS final since 2005 without either Federer, Djokovic or Nadal. That is incredible!!

As a Fed fan, I think he has one more Slam in him. Kinda like Sampras when he won his final one. Another Wimbledon would be cool. 18 GSs and 8 Wimbys. :D

^ Every Slam that goes by it's going to be harder and harder for him. Hard to imagine a better chance for him than this one. Nadal out, Murray seriously off the pace and someone else takes Djokovic out leaving him the chance at a final against a newbie who's barely been able to complete a week of tennis this year and has just played two 5 set matches and a 4 setter in 35 degree heat. Can't see him getting a better chance than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

RosyLily wrote: »
    If Wozniacki wins tomorrow, it's officially the craziest Grand Slam!!!!:pac:

Its the poorest US Open I can remember in years,only a few memorable matches .
    Wozniacki has no chance tomorrow ,will be steamrolled.
    Watching it on steamhunter and the channel is Eurosport yet I have Eurosport on my UPC box and tis not on either Eurosport channel - huh???!

We have British Eurosport over here ,its a watered down version of Eurosport ,I much prefer the pan European feed,its far superior.

Its the poorest US Open I can remember in years,only a few memorable matches .
    Wozniacki has no chance tomorrow ,will be steamrolled.

We have British Eurosport over here ,its a watered down version of Eurosport ,I much prefer the pan European feed,its far superior.

I thought last year's was far worse

Best day ever for a non-Rafa playing day!! WHOOP WHOOP!

Djoko ain't getting near Rafa's Slam count and that has to be the end of Fed now at Slam's I'd imagine.

Rafa to come back fresh next year and win all around him!

I thought last year's was far worse

I honestly don't even remember last year. Maybe I didn't watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Best day ever for a non-Rafa playing day!! WHOOP WHOOP!

Djoko ain't getting near Rafa's Slam count and that has to be the end of Fed now at Slam's I'd imagine.

Rafa to come back fresh next year and win all around him!

For the sake of the sport, let's hope not!

pconn062 wrote: »
    For the sake of the sport, let's hope not!

Sport is lost without him :)

• Advertisement

It is? I certainly haven't missed him.

It is? I certainly haven't missed him.

Clearly you dislike him.

I think the sport is better off with the likes of Djoko, Rafa, Fed, etc. I might hate Djoko with a passion but better for the sport and the game in general to have him about.

Absolutely loving Kei and have done so since he put a whipping to Nadal in Madrid for a set or so.

Of all the permutations for the men's final I concocted in my head, Kei-Marin wouldn't have made the top 20.:pac: Kinda cool though, seeing others in the spotlight.

Women's final later. Majority of people going for Serena? I'd like to see Caroline win it but it's probably a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I've really enjoyed this year's US Open and I'm really looking forward to both finals. Hopefully both Nishikori and Cilic play at the level they've been playing at throughout the tournament and the occasion doesn't get to them too much.

Imo it is better for the sport to have all of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic playing, there will be a huge gap on the tour when any one of them retires, whether you like them all or not. But saying that, I'm so glad we finally have two completely new faces in a slam final.

I'd say Serena will win tonight, but I think it will be close! I'd love to see Caroline win it as well, I know her style of playing isn't the most exciting to watch but I would love to see her win a slam at some point, she does deserve it.

Nishikori vs Cilic will probably make a better final than Nishikori vs Federer or Djokovic vs Cilic.

Neither will have the advantage of having been there before never mind having won multiple slams so hopefully they'll just be able to go out there and play the way they have been all fortnight.

• Advertisement

100th career title for the Bryan Brothers! Amazing achievement. 16th GS overall.

^ I know nothing of doubles, are they the most successful team ever?

^ I know nothing of doubles, are they the most successful team ever?

Yep. Team with the second most doubles titles have 61 so Bryans are way ahead! Listening to Rusedski on Sky and he was saying their 100 titles wouldn't put them automatically as greatest since other pairings played singles and doubles. Like McEnroe or the Woodies.

I think Bryans are the best but if I'd grown up watching the Woodies or Mac and Fleming, maybe I'd think different.

I'm not generally a fan of Wozniacki, but after all the crap she got as world #1 and her sh*tty year this year, I'll be rooting for her tonight. She's a nice person too. I think Serena will win in three though. Having steamrolled her her way through the draw without losing a set won't exactly help Serena tonight though.

I think making the final is a great achievement for Woz anyway, especially given the year she's had. Winning it would be incredible but if she can even push Serena as much as she did the twice they met in the summer then she can be extremely proud of her efforts.

Ugh Serena was there for the taking for large portions of that set. Hope Woz can make a match of it in the second.

Looks like this match is only going one way at this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Another steamrolling by Serena in a grand slam final. It was a non-event really, what a shame.

Well that was disappointing. Wozniacki just didn't show up today :(

I know Serena won the last 2 years too but at least Vika gave her a challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Well that was disappointing. Wozniacki just didn't show up today :(

she needs to be more ruthless to win

she's too friendly

Good for Serena that she's salvaged her 2014, although few would have thought she'd only win the one slam this year. Her victory in New York reaffirms the fact that she's still the best, as if there was any doubt. Always a bit sad when the slams are over, but there's still some good tournaments to look forward to and storylines to follow until season end. The year flew!

Also, 2014 is the first year since 2009 that there's no new grand slam winner.

Good for Serena that she's salvaged her 2014, although few would have thought she'd only win the one slam this year. Her victory in New York reaffirms the fact that she's still the best, as if there was any doubt. Always a bit sad when the slams are over, but there's still some good tournaments to look forward to and storylines to follow until season end. The year flew!

Also, 2014 is the first year since 2009 that there's no new grand slam winner.

Cilic or nishikori might dissagree with you there

I was quite obviously referring to the wta :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Weird not having Novak in the final, first time in 5 years! Whilst he probably won't be that happy with his 2014, if he had to chose between winning a second US open or a second Wimbledon, he'd have gone for Wimbledon.

Hope Kei can win the whole thing now but I fear he may be too fatigued, although I thought that's what was going to happen today! Kei winning would also be the first time since 2003 that the big four failed to win 3 or more of the slams in a calender year.

Do you pay any attention to tennis at all
    ? :confused:

of course, I'm being sarcastic here, it is surprising final though...

some odds on them ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Much as I'm a big Fed fan, its good to see that 2 of the Opens will go to new winners this year. Probably better for tennis in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Indeed, 2015 should be an interesting year - only definite win is Nadal for French.

Australian - Dimitrov ??

Wimbledon - Raonic ??

US Open ??? anyone ???

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

the_monkey wrote: »
    Indeed, 2015 should be an interesting year - only definite win is Nadal for French.

Australian - Dimitrov ??

Wimbledon - Raonic ??

US Open ??? anyone ???

I don't think Raonic is much closer to a slam tbh... If you look at his 4 slam losses this year - Dimitrov, Novak, Federer and Nishikori... They were all able to get enough returns into play and punish him for there. Still no plan B. He has had an excellent year but against the better players I don't think he is much closer to figuring out how to beat them if Plan A doesn't work.

I reckon Novak is the best bet for Australia. Murray's back still worries me as does Rafa's body in general and Federer has missed his chance also. For Wimbledon, I think Dimitrov has a wonderful game for grass courts, especially how his backhand slice skids off the court causing so much problems. If he does win a slam one day I expect it to be there. And for US Open next year, who knows??? Either Nishikori or Cilic will be defending champ! How crazy is that!!!!!!!!

Nishikori got to be favourite with the head-to-head in last few years.

http://tennis.matchstat.com/Compare/8806/6101/10853

• Advertisement

timmy880 wrote: »
    I don't think Raonic is much closer to a slam tbh... If you look at his 4 slam losses this year - Dimitrov, Novak, Federer and Nishikori... They were all able to get enough returns into play and punish him for there. Still no plan B. He has had an excellent year but against the better players I don't think he is much closer to figuring out how to beat them if Plan A doesn't work.

I reckon Novak is the best bet for Australia. Murray's back still worries me as does Rafa's body in general and Federer has missed his chance also. For Wimbledon, I think Dimitrov has a wonderful game for grass courts, especially how his backhand slice skids off the court causing so much problems. If he does win a slam one day I expect it to be there. And for US Open next year, who knows??? Either Nishikori or Cilic will be defending champ! How crazy is that!!!!!!!!

Raonic defo ain't winning Slam next year...

Rafa to come back fresh and win Australia & French next year....

Advertisement