Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Open 2014

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

glasso wrote: »
    Nishikori got to be favourite with the head-to-head in last few years.

http://tennis.matchstat.com/Compare/8806/6101/10853

I don't think he can win it tonight. Cilic knows what to do to beat him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Match is nearly over, shame because I was hoping for a good final.

Not sure how to feel with Cilic as US Open champion tbh. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Damn! Was hoping for a more competitive match. Cilic is as calm. Nishikori hasn't a clue what to do to break serve. Could be over by midnight!

looks done and duster alright. Nishikori looks out on his feet. A step too far. Chances on the Cillic serve but can't take them.

Interesting to see if Nishikori can come back from such a beating, and whether Cilic can build on winning this slam. The top players all have questions so someone like Cilic could do some vultering especially at Australia where he has done well before.

This has been one of the worst US Opens I can remember for ages, few classic matches and most of the later rounds apart from the men semi finals been reasonably predictable.

Doesn't help that both finals have been so one sided either. :(

Lets hope for better at the Australian open.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This is a really weird match.

Was really hoping Kei would win :(

This is a really weird match.

Was really hoping Kei would win :(

Its been awful tbh, Nishi has been poor and looks knackered. Dreadful Slam sadly.

Wozniacki v Sharapova

Raonic v Nishikori

Apart from that, what were the matches that you could say were memorable?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If I was Cilic, I'd ban Goran from the stadium in future. His nervous carry on must surely have some effect. Mind you, just flashed up Chang, and he looks worse.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Thats keis chance gone now i think, christ did i just hear that right, he is the 5th highest earner in mens tennis:eek:

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Thats keis chance gone now i think, christ did i just hear that right, he is the 5th highest earner in mens tennis:eek:

He is an absolute superstar in Japan, if and it may happen in the next few years they do a Slam in Asia, he will be the main reason why.

He will be in the top 3 this time next year I reckon.

• Advertisement

Marin Cilic: 2014 US Open Champion. Ok.

Delighted for him, its great to see a new face winning a slam, feel for nish though he just didnt turn up at all

Rjd2 wrote: »
    He is an absolute superstar in Japan, if and it may happen in the next few years they do a Slam in Asia, he will be the main reason why.

He will be in the top 3 this time next year I reckon.

Age is on his side i guess, but even though he can on his day beat anyone, he just blows too hot and cold for me, as i said in an earlier post consistency is his biggest problem

Age is on his side i guess, but even though he can on his day beat anyone, he just blows too hot and cold for me, as i said in an earlier post consistency is his biggest problem

Spot on in all that. Question marks over the big four, Del Potro dead, Berdych, Ferrer,Tsonga probably destined to never win a Slam will probably mean we will see in the next few years a lot of the Slams been shared except the French which Rafa will win until he is in his sixties.:P

Nishikori will win one though, he is inconsistent and has fitness issues, but their isn't that much of a gap between him and the rest of the rivals to Novak.

Its been awful tbh, Nishi has been poor and looks knackered. Dreadful Slam sadly.

Wozniacki v Sharapova

Raonic v Nishikori

Azarenka-Krunic was very good too.

Azarenka-Krunic was very good too.

Actually totally agree their, that was a fantastic match.

I'd actually say the ladies side is much healthier than the men's side at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Federer vs Monfils was very exciting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Actually totally agree their, that was a fantastic match.

I'd actually say the ladies side is much healthier than the men's side at the moment.

I thought Krunic v Keys was a great match too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Just flicked onto the highlights of last night (didn't bother watching last night and don't plan on watching it now), but someone please tell me the stadium filled up? 1-1 in the first set and the stadium is nearly half empty :O Crazy for a slam final, even the start of it.

EDIT: Flicked back over and it was much much fuller by the second set thankfully.

Not surprising when you think about it really. Asia, and particularly Japan have very few sports stars in a global sport yet Japan is a rich country with lots of sponsorship money available. Li Na is cleaning up similarly (but even more so) on the women's side (although of course have a couple of slams) due to the huge size of the Chinese market and relative paucity of sports sponsorship outlets in terms of names to put a face to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement