Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S.S.C. Napoli vs Athletic Club. KO 19:45 SS5

• 19-08-2014 2:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

This looks the creme de la creme of champions league qualifiers. Don't really know anything about the current seasons squads but if last season's forms is anything to go by this could go all the way to the wire. Valverde has done a wonderful job last season with Bilbao. San Mames is an incredibly tough place for any club to visit.
    So too San Paolo.

Anybody else gonna be watching this? More to the point anybody got any useful info to share about current squads, form, moods/disputes, camaraderie, etc. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Napoli got Michu, I'm very interested to see how he and Higuain link up.

But Bilbao are pretty impressive, by far the best team outside the top 3 in Spain and they tend to do very well against better opposition (which I believe Napoli is).

I'd go for a narrow 1-0 win for the home side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Michu looked half dead in the PSG friendly. Obviously it was a friendly but he really looked off the pace. The midfield is important for Napoli. Behrami is gone so that lack of steel might leave them a little soft in the centre. No like for like to replace him unless Rafa wants to give Inler a different role this season. I'll go 2-1. We will concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Except for weird defensive mistakes Napoli looked impressive any time I saw them last season. Great pressing, clever transitions and Higuain was lethal. But they'd also throw away goals with silly mistakes at the back.

I'm very interested to see how they progress this season. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Get in, Muniain finishes a nice move. 1-0 up now and hopefully they will make the group stages.

The defense has been excellent for most of the game. First five minutes or so were scary.

Half time with a 1-0 lead, happy with that but they've been the better side for the last 20 minutes of the half. Napoli look a bit sluggish so could snatch another one and then the second leg would be a lot easier.

Benat looks very good, bit part player last year but now has to step up and replace Ander Herrera. If he plays like he did in that first half then the loss of Herrera won't be so bad.

• Advertisement

Bah, 1-1, a superb individual goal from Higuain. Bilbao deserve to win this one.

been a great second half.

What was Michu thinking there!

And then what a ridiculous save from the Athletic keeper! Frantic stuff

1-1 draw is not bad, should be able to take it at San Mames. Very lucky in the second half, Iraizoz pulled off a wonderful save and the Michu pass seemed ridic but thank you Michu for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Enjoyed that. Felt Bilbao controlled the game better but chances were spread very evenly. Napoli started on fire. Then Bilbao caught up with them.

Looking forward to second leg. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Napoli in a spot of bother, san mames is as tough a place teams will go to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Hard to feel confident in Napoli going through now but I suppose if there's anyman to get the job done against the odds in Europe it's Rafa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Why oh why didn't Michu shoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Second leg tonight.

All square 1 a piece. Bilbao have advantage of away goal.

I've been glued to this since it started. Gutted when Hamsik scored, sombre when Aduriz leveled it and cautiously excited now that he has put them ahead. They've fought really hard all night and they have it in their own hands now.

Boom, Bilbao will be in the Champion's league. Awesome stuff. Going over for one of the group stage games. :)

All over 3-1 on the night, 4-2 on aggregate, first time in the Champion's league group stages since 1998/99. Gonna be great to see them compete with the best and they are well capable of it.

Advertisement